Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballhead recommendations  (Read 5490 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Ballhead recommendations
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 02:40:58 pm »

I think that Manfrotto has come out with a new geared head which is smaller and might fit the bill. I would check that out. Probably a lot cheaper.

I think that is the one I had that uses RC2 plates (smaller than the 410 RC4 plates).
I can't recommend that head. It's got a lot of plastic, a non-replaceable clamp, and isn't as stiff as I'd like. 
I got rid of it and got the Benro GD3WH which I have only used a few times but so far it seems very nice and solid for real estate work.
For landscapes I still mostly use a Manfrotto ball head.
-MattB

sportmaster

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2019, 07:30:12 am »

I use a Manfrotto video head on a bowel mount tripod.   Works great for everything, but heavy.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2019, 12:15:56 pm »

Right - we need to know, did you do the right thing & get an Arca Swiss P0?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2019, 12:52:03 pm »

Right - we need to know, did you do the right thing & get an Arca Swiss P0?

I didn't, Bill. I looked at the price, compared it with a second-hand BH-40 that Dave Chew offered me, and hesitated for several microseconds before making my choice. I've now just bought a second-hand Acratech levelling base from felix5616 and I'm back where I started.

Jeremy

Lightsmith

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 01:57:05 pm »

I wanted a head that I could use to quickly level my camera on both axis for indoor and outdoor photography and bought the Arca-Swiss D4 GP lens from Robert White in the UK ($1100). I use it primarily on the Gitzo 2531LVL tripod with its quick leveling head. I can move the tripod to a new patch of dirt and have the tripod head close to level in seconds and then when the camera is mounted and a scene in the frame I can do micro adjustment to the camera very quickly. With it taking so little time I have no concerns with moving the tripod from one spot to another one.

The Gitzo legs I bought in 2013 for $750 still work perfectly and fortunately I was able to buy one before they were discontinued. Good legs and a good head will provide decades of use regardless of what cameras one may own now or in the future. No other piece of photographic equipment has anywhere near this length of useful life.

The D4 GP works great with my cameras and pano head but it also works very well with my 600mm f/4 lens. For overseas travel I can put this head on my Feisol tripod with its quick level base and have a setup that will work with any lens I choose to use. There is a value in versatility. I have so much gear and it is important to be able to use a piece for more than one task whenever practical.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up