Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loneliness  (Read 983 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Loneliness
« on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:43 am »

This is a photo site, so:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
Re: Loneliness
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:37:32 am »

And:

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 11:41:30 am »

It's a personal choice, Slobodan. What is society supposed to do about it?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:50:03 am »

It's a personal choice, Slobodan. What is society supposed to do about it?

It is hardly a personal choice, and where did I imply that society must do something? It possibly can, though. One of my late father's friends had the same arrangement in Belgrade as this one:

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 01:55:24 pm »

Sounds like a good solution.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »

Maybe the statistics are also likely to be a more realistic take on the whole concept of friendship.

It's my observation that people who would once call one another friends were often merely acquaintances. I think the young are far more inclined to confuse the terms, an acknowlegement that appears shown in the phrase new best friend. It is used in a pejorative sense, but maybe by those older ones now able to see the realistic adjustment in the status once afforded their companions.

It's not surprising, though, that adults can find themselves isolated. It seems to me that the rules of the mating game have been subverted by political correctness that, instead of protecting members of the fair sex, has tended to create a situation where males become reluctant to approach them just in case it blows up in their face as sexual harassment and they get taken to court and/or lose their job. Lucky those who meet very young and before such considerations register in the forefront of their dealings with others. Where once adult folks met at work, in a bar or at a dance and similar social occasions, and it was easy and even expected that somebody would try to chat you up, I'm advised that that's no longer an acceptable route. God knows what is: a singles bar? How tragically sordid: the cattle market, then, Online dating agencies? Strikes me as being the perfect arrangement for sex criminals of all stripes. Maybe we'll reach the sci-fi situation where sex is all by arrangement and love a crime.

But neither should it be assumed that being alone is always the same thing as loneliness. You can be even more alone and depressed in a crowd. The problem with finding yourself living alone as you age is health, and the question of what the hell can you do if you suddenly can't get out of bed or reach a telephone? It's not even a fear of death, but of the mess you leave behind that people you love are going to discover has been inflicted upon them. There's no dignity and precious little love in a fortnight-old corpse.

Another problem that hits people today, young and old, is money. Life is getting ever more expensive, and winter kills many because of fuel poverty: they can't pay the heating bills. The social divide is apparently wider than ever, and far more difficult to bridge than it used to be. With so much money in so few hands, no wonder things are getting top-heavy, and we all know what happens to things that go that way. What was the figure thrown around at Davos? Seventeen people own more than the total owned by the lower 50% of folks? It sounded a strange picture when I heard it; maybe I misunderstood. Does anyone need that much?

And then there's the problem today of drugs and crime. No wonder many won't go out at night even if it could lead them to resolving the singles situation that may be tormenting them. I'd hate to be a single, twenty-something woman living alone and unhappy with that situation. Where do you go, city or small town, and feel safe? And working women with good jobs: how do they decide to get into a relationship, marry, have or not have kids? The need or simply the desire for career can cause much disruption to the natural order of procreation and setting up home, in whichever order. There was a lot to be said for the days when men worked to earn the family keep, and women worked at home to make that home worth coming back to every night. Nature was in equilibrium.

I don't think much of the idea of young strangers living with old people to save money. Vulnerability on either side seems terribly easy to turn into the reality of abuse and exploitation.

It can be a shitty world.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:33:57 pm by Rob C »

Two23

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 11:06:19 pm »

When I was working as an OT in nursing homes we were told the two things that best predicted how much longer someone was going to live were (1) how far they could walk (2) how many people they interacted with in a day.    I read an article a few weeks ago about how people, men in particular, don't have many friends any more.  Part of this is because of the decline in participation in social activities such as clubs and church attendance, and part seems due to shifts in how we spend free time.  I actually only have one -real- friend and that's my wife.  In the past I've mostly held jobs where I traveled between locations a lot, such as being a pharmaceutical salesman.  I knew a lot of people in a lot of places, but had no real friends because I would only spend a few hours at most in those facilities, and most were over an hour away.  My current job is still like that to a degree and add in I'm dealing with a different social class.  I do belong to my local camera club, but the members are mostly solitary cats.  While we share an interest in photography none seem willing to go out with me at night to photo trains. ;D  I used to have a buddy to go hunting with, but then he got remarried, gained a lot of weight, and I haven't seen him in years.  So I hunt alone.  I spend my weekends driving around the region taking photos of many different things.  I am constantly interacting with many groups of people, but often they live over 100 miles away and I only see them seasonally.  I'm a fringe member of many groups.  Still, I can easily talk to just about anyone I come across and have interesting conversations with them.  I did that yet again today with the ice fishermen out on the lake.  Last week it was motorcycle racers on another frozen lake in another state.  My wife and I get along extremely well and I'm on good terms with my two sons.  Other than my wife I have no actual close friends, but I can honestly say I am happy. :)  I'm perfectly content to spend hours sitting in the dark along railroad tracks by myself waiting for a train to come, or days walking across desolate prairie with my rifle on my shoulder during antelope season.

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:17:18 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53:37 pm »

I never knew that Gatorade was good bait for ice-fishing.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 05:16:31 am »

"When I was working as an OT in nursing homes we were told the two things that best predicted how much longer someone was going to live were (1) how far they could walk (2) how many people they interacted with in a day.    I read an article a few weeks ago about how people, men in particular, don't have many friends any more.  Part of this is because of the decline in participation in social activities such as clubs and church attendance, and part seems due to shifts in how we spend free time.  I actually only have one -real- friend and that's my wife.  In the past I've mostly held jobs where I traveled between locations a lot, such as being a pharmaceutical salesman.  I knew a lot of people in a lot of places, but had no real friends because I would only spend a few hours at most in those facilities, and most were over an hour away.  My current job is still like that to a degree and add in I'm dealing with a different social class.  I do belong to my local camera club, but the members are mostly solitary cats.  While we share an interest in photography none seem willing to go out with me at night to photo trains. ;D  I used to have a buddy to go hunting with, but then he got remarried, gained a lot of weight, and I haven't seen him in years.  So I hunt alone.  I spend my weekends driving around the region taking photos of many different things.  I am constantly interacting with many groups of people, but often they live over 100 miles away and I only see them seasonally.  I'm a fringe member of many groups.  Still, I can easily talk to just about anyone I come across and have interesting conversations with them.  I did that yet again today with the ice fishermen out on the lake.  Last week it was motorcycle racers on another frozen lake in another state.  My wife and I get along extremely well and I'm on good terms with my two sons.  Other than my wife I have no actual close friends, but I can honestly say I am happy. :)  I'm perfectly content to spend hours sitting in the dark along railroad tracks by myself waiting for a train to come, or days walking across desolate prairie with my rifle on my shoulder during antelope season.

Kent in SD"

Walking has contributed to the massive fall in my already small car usage: where I'd drive to pick up some bread, I now walk and only drive if it's for something too heavy and bulky such as four eight-litre bottles of drinklng water. I guess the average day sees a 45 mins walk in the morning to go check out the mail, have a coffee and perhaps make a snap or not; in the afternoon it's usually about a 90 mins walk down to the sea, along the marina and maybe - or maybe not - another coffee and back home. I can manage that without getting tired - in winter - but in summer I have to worry about the sunshine. Makes me feel like I have a Dracula complex!

I interact with very few people during the day, especially not with expats, with whom there is hardly anything to share if one does not drink anymore.

My wife was also my only absolute friend, from when she was fifteen. She used to have a small circle of girlfriends who were young mothers at the same time, and I think she benefitted a lot fom those friendships, especially when she aborted her one attempt to rejoining the ranks of the chemistry people; I think she stuck it for a year, but her absence started having a bad effect on the rest of us so she called it a day. In compensation, she and her friends played a lot of tennis and went swimming quite a lot too; how she could do all that and still have meals ready for the kids at lunchtime and for us all in the evening was an amazing feat of multitasking!

We both had good neighbours when we came here to Spain, perhaps because we were all first owners and that gave a shared sense of communal responsibilty and it was a new adventure that we were all sharing. As we were the youngest here by a long shot, I suppose we did bring a kind of more youthful vibe; all of us had reasonable disposable income and did a lot of party-going for a while; then, we woke up to the realisation that we had not retired, and that I still needed to find work and keep existing work alive, and we just stopped going to most of those social events. You could have been drunk every day before 13.00 hrs had you wanted to: cocktail parties were all the rage. However, over the years, we did get very close to a few couples and inevitably, one or the other partner died, and the last one standing would drift back to family in the UK.

I think that, as for you, photography can be a kind of marker for the self-contained soul. However, there are photographers who are the opposite, and constantly network. How much real friendship exists in such a network I can't say.

Rob

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:43 am »

Interesting subject and amazing how well some people can write.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

jeremyrh

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 06:20:45 am »

https://youtu.be/BwHAYgOnZSU

Photographer Ryan Pfluger shares how he came to use the medium of photography as a means for therapy and connection. During several solitary road trips within the United States, Ryan unexpectedly discovered that by the spontaneous meeting of strangers and the gentle expression of kindness showed by acknowledging someone else’s true self-worth, he was able to not only heal his own loneliness but that of many others.  Ryan Pfluger is a New York-based photographer. His photographs often deal with the subtly of body posture, the gaze, and the role of self-portraiture, as an exploration of what portraiture means in our presently-saturated culture of images. For the past year, Ryan has been driving cross-country every few months making portraits based off of geo-location apps. Some of his clients include New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, and TIME. Born and raised in New York, Ryan received his MFA in Photo, Video and Related Media from the School of Visual Arts in 2007. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 11:52:25 am »

Loneliness is big health issue for long-haul truck drivers, recently mitigated somewhat by the introduction of unlimited talk cell plans. 
Many truckers now wear cellphone headsets and chat with their friends continent-wide.  A big improvement on CB radio.

I've driven the equivalent of six times around the world in Frito.  99.99% of it alone, yet I'm never lonely.  I go for days sometimes without speaking to anyone.

elliot_n

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 12:07:53 pm »

https://youtu.be/BwHAYgOnZSU

Photographer Ryan Pfluger shares how he came to use the medium of photography as a means for therapy and connection.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

texshooter

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 11:26:47 pm »

Embrace the void.

www.chrisburkard.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:31:58 pm by texshooter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up