Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midnight Rainbows #2: Red Bud Morning  (Read 2162 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Midnight Rainbows #2: Red Bud Morning
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:43:17 am »

I’ve never been a fan of the HDR processing that produces garish interpretations of a scene.

And yet...  :)

Peter McLennan

Re: Midnight Rainbows #2: Red Bud Morning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:19 pm »

Precisely.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:09:01 pm »

I’m waiting for the follow up article. How to clean a sensor and in the meantime how to use the spot heal tool to remove offending blemishes in the sky. I’m not a stickler for technical perfection but when it’s a 5 minute quick fix like the marks we see in the sky on this image it’s unacceaptable and inexcusable.

I have nothing to say about the image itself. What’s the point.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

James Clark

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »

This particular image is an interesting choice, both from the submitting photographer and the powers that be here at Lula.   For Mr. Rowles, the comments already posted here certainly raise a valid point about the author's claimed stylistic motivations vs. the final outcome, but I think that's a relatively minor quibble.  What I find more interesting is that, if  you visit his site, he does have some nice work.  Colorful, yes, to some probably too much so, but IMHO Mr. Rowles has the capability of capturing a nice image - I find his florals to be probably his best work, on aggregate and I could pick several from his site that would be better reflective of his talent and the quality of submissions that a pro-level site like Lula ought to be featuring.

Speaking of... for Lula, I have to say that I find this to be a somewhat odd choice for a feature piece.  Martin's identified an error of the sort that really should have been caught, and regardless of where you fall on the "like it or hate it" scale, the final piece shows a heavy hand in concept and execution - something that seems out of alignment with both the traditional lean of this site, as well as Josh's more eclectic choices so far.   

Maybe there's a reason for that, but I would humbly suggest to ownership that it's time to establish a tone and a voice that can be unique, but should still strive for some consistency in quality and approach. 

gchappel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:14 pm »

I am sorry, I tried to stay out of the arguments about the recent changes.
But this image makes my eyes bleed. 
In my opinion, it is completely different that the other recent articles with images.  The subtlety of fine art is not here.
There are a lot of sites I can visit if I want to see what cranking all the sliders up to maximum looks like.
Yes art is often just an opinion, and we all can have one.   But with all the technical as well as artistic flaws here I would be more tempted to hit the delete key than the print key.
No my own work is not liked by all- that is fine.  But I think a certain quality both technically and artistically should be present before it hangs on the luminous landscape home page.
My opinion
Gary

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »

Garish.

RogTallbloke

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:02 pm »

Being able to see the whole image without scrolling helps I think.

It doesn't need a lot of desaturation to make it a lot more enjoyable for me.

adri

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 04:15:56 am »

It's the purple that's most offending.
The image would be a lot better if that color is desaturated a bit.
And yes, cleaning an image of sensor dust is a must.

But the composition is basically OK; I would have shown a little more water on the right side of the land portion with the trees on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up