Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24-105 question  (Read 821 times)

kevs

Canon 24-105 question
« on: January 31, 2019, 02:41:48 pm »

The Canon 24-105, not current version, the one before (I have)... has anyone run tests on how sharp the focal lengths are on this lens compared to Canon fixed lens equivalents? Just curious, thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Canon 24-105 question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:03:24 pm »

The Canon 24-105, not current version, the one before (I have)... has anyone run tests on how sharp the focal lengths are on this lens compared to Canon fixed lens equivalents? Just curious, thanks.

https://www.opticallimits.com/reviews

But I will save you some time. While the Canon 24-105mm lens is a good to very good zoom lens, as far as sharpness goes, when suitably stopped down, you will generally get better sharpness over a wider range of apertures from the better examples of Canon's prime lenses in that range. From my experience with the Canon 24-105, only in the middle of its range, at around 50mm, does it compare very closely in terms of corner-to-corner sharpness with better primes of approximately the same focal length.

Ghaag

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »

I love the 24-105 for its versatility, its usually my go to lens if I am traveling.  That being said, I prefer my prime's or my 70-200 for sharpness.

kevs

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »

Thanks David,

Great post and great link... I really this site..optical limits. I have never seen it before, and I think is seems much better/ user friendly than one I discovered a few weeks ago: Dxomark, do you concur?

I asking for fine art, I shoot on the 24-105 for people/fashion, I don't make too many large prints: it's fantastic, but for fine art where you could end up printing 60" on the long side, you think any of the equivalent fixed lenses would be substantially sharper on the large print? I own a 50 1.8, and 28, 2.8. I never use these ever. Maybe I should?  I don't think these version though are on the site, especially the 28 which is 11 years old.... been replaced with 1.8 with IS.

OH.. Thanks Ghagg!

I just bought an 11-24, but will return it, it's a  bit heavy and will be getting the 16-35  f/4.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:37:30 pm by kevs »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:14 pm »

Thanks David,

Great post and great link... I really this site..optical limits. I have never seen it before, and I think is seems much better/ user friendly than one I discovered a few weeks ago: Dxomark, do you concur?

I asking for fine art, I shoot on the 24-105 for people/fashion, I don't make too many large prints: it's fantastic, but for fine art where you could end up printing 60" on the long side, you think any of the equivalent fixed lenses would be substantially sharper on the large print? I own a 50 1.8, and 28, 2.8. I never use these ever. Maybe I should?  I don't think these version though are on the site, especially the 28 which is 11 years old.... been replaced with 1.8 with IS.

I just bought an 11-24, but will return it, it's a  bit heavy and will be getting the 16-35  f/4.

The Canon 16-35 F:4 is an excellent lens and compares very well with primes in the same range, as far as sharpness, although it does have some noticeable field curvature around 35mm, which can sometimes require careful focusing and stopping down more than you otherwise might, if you want maximum corner sharpness.

I can't speak to the current versions of the prime lenses you own, though I know that 30 year old versions that I have used could be pretty sharp. I would guess that DxO has tested these.

I can't answer your question about big prints. It really depends upon the subject matter and style. My inclination would be to use primes for very large prints. However, if you need to shoot quickly, getting the shot framed quickly with a zoom may be more important than maximum sharpness.

kevs

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »

David, thanks, what do you think of that site DxO compared to the first one? Those are best Lens rating sites?

I did not see any 5 stars for optical quality on the 8-9  Canons I looked at. Closest I saw was a fixed 35mm at 4. Pity they don't have a filter for ratings, or do they?

Just reviewing some beauty shots done on the 24-105 today, and some, if you got a great focus in, were very sharp. They rate the 85 fixed which I have 1.8 much better, but I would be hard pressed to see a shot sharper.. maybe side by side...

Oh, thanks Ghagg!
Pages: [1]   Go Up