Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS R FV mode exposure reading  (Read 1616 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
EOS R FV mode exposure reading
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:55 am »

Question:

On a EOS R, FV mode, Switching all setting to a value and not to AUTO make FV mode is equal to M mode. Only, I don't get how to correct exposure since in this mode the exposure evaluation scale is doing nothing...

Do I miss something? Or did Canon missed something...

Cheers Ivo

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: EOS R FV mode exposure reading
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:03 pm »

I don't have the R but from what I've seen of the Flexible Priority mode you are using at least ONE of your settings should be left in auto (ie the one(s) you want).  By putting a value on each setting you are essentially overriding it and as you say, switching the body to a Manual mode (even if it's still in Fv).  So of course when in Manual adjust exposure yourself through settings changes (manually). 

Perhaps Canon should have locked the last setting in auto once a value had been added to the others, but in fact it's also an easy way to lock your exposure settings on purpose rather then switching to M (say for eg if you are doing a pano).

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:05:40 pm »

I don't have the R but from what I've seen of the Flexible Priority mode you are using at least ONE of your settings should be left in auto (ie the one(s) you want).  By putting a value on each setting you are essentially overriding it and as you say, switching the body to a Manual mode (even if it's still in Fv).  So of course when in Manual adjust exposure yourself through settings changes (manually). 

Perhaps Canon should have locked the last setting in auto once a value had been added to the others, but in fact it's also an easy way to lock your exposure settings on purpose rather then switching to M (say for eg if you are doing a pano).

The manual includes a table describing that if none of the settings are at auto, the setting is equal to M. So in the manual this possibility is acknowledged by Canon. It make sense imo to also have the possibility to go full M in Fv. Only, it’s strange in this case the light meter is not coupled with the exposure scale. Hence no possibility to check correct exposure ... maybe firmware fix later on?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:11:30 pm »

Oh yes, if the lightmeter is inoperable under the Fv with all manual settings that is odd/broken.  I would suggest finding a Canon forum/contact to send feedback that this needs to be fixed.  Perhaps others have already seen this and you could add your voice.

I like the idea of Fv, essentially you can make it change to A, S or M (or even P) without actually having to switch Modes which I think would be faster.

Ivophoto

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:07:33 pm »

Oh yes, if the lightmeter is inoperable under the Fv with all manual settings that is odd/broken.  I would suggest finding a Canon forum/contact to send feedback that this needs to be fixed.  Perhaps others have already seen this and you could add your voice.

I like the idea of Fv, essentially you can make it change to A, S or M (or even P) without actually having to switch Modes which I think would be faster.

Yep, that’s the nice thing about Fv.

I’m going to send a mail to my CPS contact.
Pages: [1]   Go Up