Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR6 is discontinued  (Read 1544 times)

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
LR6 is discontinued
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »

Out of curiosity I checked their site every week this year. The other day the search engine didn't show LR6. I see the the DVD is still available at B&H and I imagine on Amazon, etc.

Lightroom 6 has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase on Adobe.com. Consider upgrading to the Creative Cloud Photography plan to get the latest updates in Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC, and ensure that the software works with raw files from the newest cameras.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR6 is discontinued
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:36:06 pm »

I don't see anything unusual about Adobe not selling old products on their website. Is Photoshop or Acrobat or Elements any different?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:49 pm »

Neither do I and I predicted it based on what happened to CS6. I just posted because people on this and other sites still ask about LR6. Not a good investment since as of January 2018. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:33:42 pm by Zen8 »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:48 am »

No surprises here. People still look for LR6 because it is the last version sold under the perpetual license model, and most of them don’t like the subscription model.

The reality is that Adobe couldn’t care less of people who don’t like the subscription model.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:33:38 am »

What i find bad is that you (adobe)  sell software and at the same time do not update it anymore.
Lots of people do not know that is the case.
Normal should be - sell it and give at least 2-3 years of support.
The same happened to me buying Mediapro 2 from Phase-one;  one month later i got an email saying it is no longer supported.
and the advise to buy C1.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:49:38 am »

So you are telling me C1 versions 10 or 11 are still supported? Based on everything I read in forums that is not the case. I could be wrong but I read a lot of complaints including the cost and increasing cost of the updates. Maybe you are referring to RAW support being updated only. I'm pretty sure older versions don't get the bells and whistles that a new upgrade does.     

C1 has become an annual update cycle. I will predict version 13 will be released on Nov 30 or Dec 1 of this year. I can predict this because this has been happening since version 9. I purchased DXO PL in June of 2018 and Version 2 came out in the fall. Not only is Version 1 not supported any longer DXO didn't care when I purchased it and wouldn't offer me any break in pricing. That was the first time I have never updated software. I also read about people getting C1 version 11 a few months before 12 came out and C1 didn't offer any help either.       

Info about LR6's last update (version 6.14) in December of 2017 was talked about on every site I visit. People usually asked on the forums before getting it. Like anything else if someone isn't happy with a product there is a return policy or they could convert to DNG for a new camera released in 2018/2019. All cameras released in 2017 and earlier are supported by LR6.                     

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:00:39 pm »

Out of curiosity I checked their site every week this year. The other day the search engine didn't show LR6. I see the the DVD is still available at B&H and I imagine on Amazon, etc.

Lightroom 6 has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase on Adobe.com. Consider upgrading to the Creative Cloud Photography plan to get the latest updates in Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC, and ensure that the software works with raw files from the newest cameras.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

Lightroom 6 standalone application was discontinued in Dec 2017, when Adobe announced that the last and final update LR 6.14 was released. They fully stated that there would be no further updates to this version, however they further indicated the application would continue to be available for users who did not wish to use the subscription application.

At that time the further upgrade  to the Creative Cloud LR CC application (LR 7) was already available as a subscription only application, we are now at Lightroom Classic CC (LR (eight).
The way I see it is there was full disclosure.

I started using my first PC in 1985 with 5 1/2" floppies and progressed through multiple different media which are no longer supported or usable.  ::) ::) ::)   
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:25:09 am »

True but they still sold it and you could update to 6.14. I can go with pulled off the shelf instead of discontinued.
Pages: [1]   Go Up