Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One to Web and Print  (Read 1700 times)

LeonD

Capture One to Web and Print
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:44:26 pm »

I've been using Capture One for a bit now.  I just created a web site and my goal is to put images on there for viewing and also to sell.  The vast majority of my images start off as raw files.

For viewing, I'm uploading JPGs.  I have a process recipe that creates the following JPG: 50% Quality, sRGB Color Space, 72 px/in Resolution, 2500 px long edge Scale (largest allowed by the web site).  For the most part, I'm happy with my on line images.

My question is about printing the image.  I'd like to print directly from Capture One to my Epson P800.  My thought is to have a "companion" TIFF file along with the JPG.  The TIFF would be 16 bit, Adobe RGB (1998) ICC Profile, 360 px/in Resolution, 100% Fixed Scale.  Then when I need a print of the image, I could open the TIFF up in Capture One, select the correct ICC Profile for the paper I'm using and print.

Does this make sense (especially the printing part)?  If sometime in the future, I modify the image, I can create a new JPG and TIFF at the same time.  They should have the same name (with a different extension) and time stamp and by keeping them in the same location/folder, it should be easy to keep track of them.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One to Web and Print
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:01:28 pm »

I've been using Capture One for a bit now.  I just created a web site and my goal is to put images on there for viewing and also to sell.  The vast majority of my images start off as raw files.

For viewing, I'm uploading JPGs.  I have a process recipe that creates the following JPG: 50% Quality, sRGB Color Space, 72 px/in Resolution, 2500 px long edge Scale (largest allowed by the web site).  For the most part, I'm happy with my on line images.

My question is about printing the image.  I'd like to print directly from Capture One to my Epson P800.  My thought is to have a "companion" TIFF file along with the JPG.  The TIFF would be 16 bit, Adobe RGB (1998) ICC Profile, 360 px/in Resolution, 100% Fixed Scale.  Then when I need a print of the image, I could open the TIFF up in Capture One, select the correct ICC Profile for the paper I'm using and print.

Does this make sense (especially the printing part)?  If sometime in the future, I modify the image, I can create a new JPG and TIFF at the same time.  They should have the same name (with a different extension) and time stamp and by keeping them in the same location/folder, it should be easy to keep track of them.

Yes, you can select multiple export recipes at the same time, and they will create an output file (a JPEG and a TIFF) for each recipe "at the same time". They may not have exactly the same timestamp because of the slightly different moment of writing, but they should be close.

If you repeat the same procedure at a later date (e.g. after adding a new adjustment), and the output files are still in their original locations, a sequence number will be added.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:10 pm »

I found the (much) earlier versions of Capture One were much easier and more straightforward when processing multiple image formats and sizes. For one client, I used to produce RGB for web, CMYK for print and Grayscale for print. I could do one or all options at the same time. It was very clear and easy. I've used C1 (on and off) since about 2002. Though it is theoretically more powerful, I find it is no longer as straight-forward, which is why I use LR more frequently for image conversions. C1 is still the best and fastest for tethered capture (though I HATE the whole session vs catalog approach).

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:51:35 pm »

Any reason why you don't keep a Variant of the RAW original with all the adjustments you made and print directly from Capture One (File/Print) when you need a printed copy?

LeonD

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:34:25 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Any reason why you don't keep a Variant of the RAW original with all the adjustments you made and print directly from Capture One (File/Print) when you need a printed copy?

Dave, I guess my original post was the long way of asking your question.  Is there any reason to generate a "dedicated" TIFF file for printing?

I'll have a JPG that gets uploaded for the web.  And I'll have the original and variant(s) in my catalog.  My concern is that if I tweak the variant, it'll then be out of sync from the JPG.  Then when I go to print, the print may not be a correct representation of the web image.

My thought with the TIFF was that the TIFF would reside with the JPG.  No matter what I did with the variants, I could print from the TIFF.  If I ever decided to modify the web image (JPG), I'd generate a new TIFF.

Also, there might be a few variants with subtle differences.  Without the ability to uniquely name the variants, it could make it difficult to remember which was used to create the JPG.  I currently try to get around this by using the star and color ratings with the variants.

So in thinking aloud here, I starting to think there's no real reason to print from a TIFF file.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:57:16 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dave, I guess my original post was the long way of asking your question.  Is there any reason to generate a "dedicated" TIFF file for printing?

I'll have a JPG that gets uploaded for the web.  And I'll have the original and variant(s) in my catalog.  My concern is that if I tweak the variant, it'll then be out of sync from the JPG.  Then when I go to print, the print may not be a correct representation of the web image.

My thought with the TIFF was that the TIFF would reside with the JPG.  No matter what I did with the variants, I could print from the TIFF.  If I ever decided to modify the web image (JPG), I'd generate a new TIFF.

Also, there might be a few variants with subtle differences.  Without the ability to uniquely name the variants, it could make it difficult to remember which was used to create the JPG.  I currently try to get around this by using the star and color ratings with the variants.

So in thinking aloud here, I starting to think there's no real reason to print from a TIFF file.

Hi Leon,

You could solve that by adding an adjustment layer (with 100% filled mask) for a specific print medium. If tweaks are needed, they can be applied to a specific adjustment layer you dedicate to output adjustments for a specific medium and switch such a layer on (for printing) or off (for Web publishing). That would also allow to only adjust the parts of the image that need to look more similar.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

IanSeward

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 04:19:44 am »

As Bart has suggested just add a soft proof layer to your file using the appropriate icc profile. Adjust the file for printing and print. If you want to output for Web, further edit the file just toggle the print layer off.

Ian

LeonD

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:39 am »

Great advice.  Thanks guys.

Could even name the layer with the ICC profile for the printer/paper.  Makes it an easy way to keep track of what's it for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up