Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprograf Pro 4000 and Canson paper  (Read 5751 times)

MT

Re: Imageprograf Pro 4000 and Canson paper
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 03:47:13 pm »

I'll have to recuse myself from the dot discussion. Prints from the 4000 look, wrt dot and dither patterns, just like our Epson 9900 and 4900. By this I mean I detect no such problems under anything I'd call real world viewing conditions. That you could see this kind of dither  pattern at 1.5 meters viewing distance suggests your eyes are much, much more trained and precise than my eyes.

But as stated when I began the tests, I'm just not even a little bit experienced with this kind of print analysis.

John Caldwell

I wrote about 60 cm, not 150 - that would be Superman vision ;) - I don't have any other big printer, P4000 is my first, and I can't on my own decide whats normal and what is not. You printed part of my picture, so your insight on this is worth much - I don't ask for magnifying glass inspection.
It's matter of single color dotting visible on color patches of this artwork, when you write that you dont see anything different than vs Epson printer - I don't know how Epson prints, so I can't decide does it mean that dotting is visible, or not on Epson.

MT

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:21 pm »

I will update this thread after I make more test prints, but today I received sample packs from Hahnemuhle.

I was disappointed with profiles on Hahnemuhle www - only .icc, without am1x, and in broschure attached to profile info to choose Canon HW Fine Art. At that moment I thought that Canson have it much better, giving am1xes to download.

First print of bull was great, to find any sort of dotting, I had to look hard for it, and found it only because I was trying so hard to find some, and this was with my eyes 5 cm from paper. Totally different quality of picutre than on Canson.

A bit sad, I had much better pricing offer on Canson, I liked papers more - I thought better of company based on my history with their traditional art papers.

Since I spent almost all of Canson packs on tries where I had bad results, I didnt had much left. But I did pick one Rag Photographique duo 220gsm, and print on him using .ICC profile provided by Canson, but chose paper same as for Hahnemuhle, without using provided .am1x. Print was much better, still worse than on Hahnemuhle, but a lot better than before.

Confused, looks like profiles in media configurator can screw up a lot - I'm going to investigate more.

BrianWJH

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 07:42:33 pm »

Which Hahnemuhle paper did you print on?

Brian.

MT

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 06:30:32 am »

Which Hahnemuhle paper did you print on?

Brian.

German Etching

MT

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:31 am »

Well, I finally received Canon papers: Fine Art Premium Smooth, and Glacier Photo - printing on both looks great, dither/dothing not visible, only if using magnifying glass.
Same with Hahnemuhle.

I am in a lively discussion with Canson, trying to solve the issue - but at last we eliminated that it was user error/faulty hardware.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 07:49:28 am »

Well, I finally received Canon papers: Fine Art Premium Smooth, and Glacier Photo - printing on both looks great, dither/dothing not visible, only if using magnifying glass.
Same with Hahnemuhle.

I am in a lively discussion with Canson, trying to solve the issue - but at last we eliminated that it was user error/faulty hardware.

Just a thought. I don't know if it has something to do with the problem you are facing. Here it goes:

Canson custom media types (am1x) include a calibration target to perform unique color calibration. Did you perform color calibration (and the feed adjustment too) when you imported the custom media type in your printer? Maybe it is required for the custom media type to run smoothly with the supplied icc profile.

MT

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 08:06:46 am »

As I stated on beginning of this post, I had only received Sample packs - so 1 sheet of each paper. Calibrating on so small amount of media wasn't possible

Craig_Travis_

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2020, 07:19:10 pm »

I've had this printer for 2 years and I've done more tests on more papers than I can remember. There's only one thing that's worked perfectly for me.

For context I'm a photographer and I've always used Adobe and honed my best out of Lightroom print module, print studio pro, a few rip software, affinity etc...

Nothing I've ever done in them was close to what I've produced printing direct from Capture One Pro 20. Not even close. I've been putting a video together on how effortless it is. Command + P and a couple of dropdowns and you get what you bought this bloody massive thing for.

If I can help in any way please contact me on Facebook, phone or email as I'll probably forget I've posted this  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up