Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded M8??  (Read 501 times)

Bsugarman

Upgraded M8??
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »

Hi. I have the opportunity to buy an M8 online that looks to be in excellent condition. The shutter dial only goes up to 4000, but lacks the ā€œSā€ mode. I have the serial number and called Leica, but they have no records of an upgrade. Although, the rep said that many older service records were lost in their move to a new system in 2016. Finally, the hot shoe has the serial number, but no model designation.
So, first, with a 1/4000 max on the dial, would this seem to be an M8 with an upgraded shutter?  Is there a way either in the menus or otherwise to confirm a shutter upgrade? There is a return period where I want to buy it. So, second, what else should I look for in deciding to keep the camera if I buy it?

Thanks in advance!

Telecaster

Re: Upgraded M8??
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 05:03:23 pm »

Leica did offer an upgrade to the M8, which included replacing the shutter. The original shutter had failure issues. The upgraded shutter tops out at 1/4000th sec. Around the same time they introduced the M8.2, which incorporated the upgrade suite (and added a more rugged LCD cover glass).

The M8's rear LCD sometimes develops a cloudy patch at or near the center. In my experience this goes away with relatively frequent use. (Lotsa Leicas spend their time sitting on shelves or in display cases.)

-Dave-
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:09:01 pm by Telecaster »

BrianVS

Re: Upgraded M8??
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:51 pm »

Leica allowed M8 owners to "partially" upgrade M8.2 features, getting the newer shutter was often done as it is quieter than the original. My M8 shutter has never given a problem in 9 years.

When you get the M8u (upgrade), "fan software" allows use of uncompressed images, a ".raw" file that is converted to 16-bit DNG. This gives a 1~2 stop advantage over standard DNG files.

https://cameraderie.org/threads/leica-m8-and-m8-2-using-m8raw2dng.37982/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/leica-m8-set-to-iso-ludicrous-speed.38677/

Pages: [1]   Go Up