Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would love some input please  (Read 7940 times)

pavkovic

Would love some input please
« on: October 30, 2006, 05:34:39 pm »

Good day.
I'm completley new here so I hope I'm doing this the right way.
Please comment on my photo. It was taken in Plitvice lakes national park in Croatia. I would really love to hear what is your sincere opinion on this.
Thank you!

http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa280748copyix5.jpg
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:37:42 pm by pavkovic »

NLund

• http://flickr.com/photos/nsl/
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 05:51:39 pm »

From the Young'N,

Overall, the leading lines of the bridge...great stuff. The tonality in the water, with the rippled reflection....love it. The very bright sky with bits of bleeding light....don't like it as much. And lastly, the curved bit of tree trunk on the left....I might try cropping inward ever so slightly.

My 2 cents.

howiesmith

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:47:18 pm »

Good day.
I'm completley new here so I hope I'm doing this the right way.
Please comment on my photo. It was taken in Plitvice lakes national park in Croatia. I would really love to hear what is your sincere opinion on this.
Thank you!

http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa280748copyix5.jpg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For me;

The contrast seems a little too high.

The trees/brush just over the bridge near the center seem to hide/blend with the background.  Causes confusion betweem middle and background.

I would crop some of the foreground.  The shadows and extra bridge on the left don't add anything for me.

I would crop the right side off just right of the upper end of the bridge.  The extra stuff on the right doesn't seem to add to the composition.

I think b&w requires a very spare scene.  Too much looks cluttered.  I recommend cropping like crazy.  And look for subtle tones.

pavkovic

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:21:33 am »

Gentlemen thank you for your critiques.
The thing is I couldn't decide how to crop it myself so I just posted the whole version to get some opinions. I'm reluctant to crop begining or the end of the bridge because the way it curves throug the frame is the most beautiful part of the picture. Yes the contrast is probably too high, and the trees on the top are overexposed. Shame it isn't a raw file...
I will definetly work some more on the photo and maybe post another version.

p.s I apologize if my english doesn't sound good. I come from Croatia.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 07:50:09 am »

You might be able to crop a bit from the top.  

Not much of a critique, but I did want to say that I saw the PBS show on Plitvice National Park, and it look incredibly beautiful.  Are you aware of any photo tours/guides that might be available?

pavkovic

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:34:34 am »

You might be able to crop a bit from the top. 

Not much of a critique, but I did want to say that I saw the PBS show on Plitvice National Park, and it look incredibly beautiful.  Are you aware of any photo tours/guides that might be available?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excuse me I dont quite understand, you are interested in a book/monography about the lakes or in getting a guided tour on the spot?
As fo the books I saw them in the park to buy, you should find them on the net i guess

I can tell you for a fact that there are organised tours around the park but it's much more fun to discover things yourself.

I think it is allowed to take any kind of photo gear inside without  restrictions or paying any kind of royalties to the administration. I took in oly 8080, but I saw numerous people with canons 5d,1d,nikons with tele lens and large bags of equipment.
Hope this helps

p.s You wouldn't believe how beautiful it is, I surely didnt expect it to be so good. Must go back in winter when everything will be frozen!

David White

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 11:50:23 am »

Here's my suggestion.  Just a simple crop.  I would also darken the tree trunks and foliage at left of the image as it tends to pull the eye away from the main subject, which to me is the curve of the bridge.

[attachment=1140:attachment]
David White

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:37:43 pm »

Excuse me I dont quite understand, you are interested in a book/monography about the lakes or in getting a guided tour on the spot?
As fo the books I saw them in the park to buy, you should find them on the net i guess

I can tell you for a fact that there are organised tours around the park but it's much more fun to discover things yourself.

I think it is allowed to take any kind of photo gear inside without  restrictions or paying any kind of royalties to the administration. I took in oly 8080, but I saw numerous people with canons 5d,1d,nikons with tele lens and large bags of equipment.
Hope this helps

p.s You wouldn't believe how beautiful it is, I surely didnt expect it to be so good. Must go back in winter when everything will be frozen!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's on my  list of once-in-a-lifetime destinations

pavkovic

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:09:53 pm »

Here's my suggestion.  Just a simple crop.  I would also darken the tree trunks and foliage at left of the image as it tends to pull the eye away from the main subject, which to me is the curve of the bridge.

[attachment=1140:attachment]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Somehow your version seems too streched to me. Big portion on the right seems redundant.

Here is another try. Bit more croped and now trees dont seem so overexposed but in the process the reflection in the water is lost a bit. I used Alien skin exposure infrared film simulation for BW conversion.
What dou you think now?

[a href=\"http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa280748copy2yj9.jpg]link[/url]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:16:03 pm by pavkovic »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 06:40:39 am »

Straighten the horizon.

howiesmith

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:43:01 am »

Straighten the horizon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

An interesting comment and appropriate.

Many photographers "level" the horizon in the print but it looks crooked.  Photography is a visual art, so I recommend making the horizon look level, even if it isn't.  Most viewers expect the horizon to look level, not be level.

dobson

• http://
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:39 pm »

I would be careful about straightening the horizon too much in this particular shot. I find my eye judging level not by the horizon, but by the shoreline, and to a lesser extent the verticality of the trees. I fear that if the frame is rotated too much, the lake will look like it should flow right off of the page. Having said that, I do agree that a little rotation (one or 2 degrees), would be beneficial in this case; just do it in moderation.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:23:41 pm »

Does anyone else get banner adds above and below the image offered for comment?

After clicking on the link, I get rather offensive banner adds above and below. I am using PC. Firefox, AVG, AdAware...done all the checks and they still keep accompanying the image. - and on 3 different computers in different locations. Surely I mustn't be the only one?

Pavkovic, does your hosting service use banner adds?

What is happening?

Julie

pavkovic

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 05:16:06 pm »

Does anyone else get banner adds above and below the image offered for comment?

After clicking on the link, I get rather offensive banner adds above and below. I am using PC. Firefox, AVG, AdAware...done all the checks and they still keep accompanying the image. - and on 3 different computers in different locations. Surely I mustn't be the only one?

Pavkovic, does your hosting service use banner adds?

What is happening?
Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83276\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used imageshack.us. I don't see any kind of unapropriate banners when i open the image. Although popups are disabled in my case.

As for straightnening the horizon. I tried it and it looks good at the moment.

Once again I thank you all who participated in commenting!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:53:19 pm by pavkovic »
Pages: [1]   Go Up