Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swim competition  (Read 513 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
Swim competition
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:59:02 pm »

Ready...
Swim competition by Omer Claiborne, on Flickr

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Swim competition
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:26 am »

I like the tension in the swimmer's muscles and the lights/reflections, but the left 45% of the photo seems sort of pointless. Maybe crop it to square?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:52 am »

I agree with the square crop suggestion.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:20 am »

I like the tension in the swimmer's muscles and the lights/reflections, but the left 45% of the photo seems sort of pointless. Maybe crop it to square?
I agree with the square crop suggestion.

Thanks guys.

Yes. Notwithstanding my past oath to full frame printing, I have considered some cropping on the left but am ambivalent. The stretch of the pool to the left could be suggestive of uncertainty.

Still...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:44:45 am by OmerV »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:31:47 am »

The really interesting component is the swimmer, and the shape, muscles/tension - pretty great. The rest of the frame doesn't really support that - there are really hot bright spots that draw the eye away from the figure into unremarkable "areas of background" - and especially since the figure is middle/dark gray in tone (and so close to right side of frame as well). Might (have been) be interesting as a "portrait" with 3/4s of the frame to left of figure removed - and then some off the top and bottom. This leaves some spectators and penants in bg plus a little highlight in water.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:30 am »

I think there could be a hundred different interpretations of this photograph from technical and aesthetic perspectives. I really like the photograph because of this.
Yes, aesthetically there are bright lights to draw our focus away from the swimmer, but that’s the reality of the competition – the swimmer must also block out all the distractions around them to concentrate on the task at hand.
A square crop may work from a techno-aesthetic perspective, but it shortens the expanse of what the swimmer has before him – that great empty void that he will be pounding down in the next second.
This photo is like the calm before the storm.
At first I had trouble with there being only one swimmer as it’s not really a competition then. But in the larger scheme of things, having only one swimmer can represent two things: (a) athletes are always competing against themselves, pushing for their next personal best; and (b) it’s that moment when an athlete blocks out the external down to just themself and the task at hand.
Yes, I’m reading a lot into the photograph, but that’s what it says to me. I wasn’t there; I have no idea if the photographer intended any of this, but art is what you take from it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:58 am »

I think there could be a hundred different interpretations of this photograph from technical and aesthetic perspectives. I really like the photograph because of this.
Yes, aesthetically there are bright lights to draw our focus away from the swimmer, but that’s the reality of the competition – the swimmer must also block out all the distractions around them to concentrate on the task at hand.
A square crop may work from a techno-aesthetic perspective, but it shortens the expanse of what the swimmer has before him – that great empty void that he will be pounding down in the next second.
This photo is like the calm before the storm.
At first I had trouble with there being only one swimmer as it’s not really a competition then. But in the larger scheme of things, having only one swimmer can represent two things: (a) athletes are always competing against themselves, pushing for their next personal best; and (b) it’s that moment when an athlete blocks out the external down to just themself and the task at hand.
Yes, I’m reading a lot into the photograph, but that’s what it says to me. I wasn’t there; I have no idea if the photographer intended any of this, but art is what you take from it.

Luxborealis, I agree with you. Cropping the image tends to concentrate the viewer's gaze on the swimmer, removing him from the context of the daunting task in front of him. Also, I think the figure is dramatic enough to pull a viewer to it even though the rest of the photo is busy. Keeping the full frame also 'humbles' the swimmer; he is no better or worse than his competitors.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:37:37 am »

Thanks guys.

Yes. Notwithstanding my past oath to full frame printing, I have considered some cropping on the left but am ambivalent. The stretch of the pool to the left could be suggestive of uncertainty.

Sure - you are uncertain whether to crop it off  ;)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:46:16 am »

Sure - you are uncertain whether to crop it off  ;)

Uncertain(ty,) yes.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up