Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer options for panoramas - A2 (17") and above  (Read 4308 times)

Dan Wells

Re: Printer options for panoramas - A2 (17") and above
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 01:44:10 am »

By the way, I did mean that the Pro-1000 and Pro-2000 had the same heads and gamut - the P5000 is a totally different machine from a different maker...

While it's not borne out in gamut plots, I find that "Canon blues" make a difference in my landscape images roughly as often as "Epson greens and oranges". Both are immaterial for many images, and I find that the number where I prefer one rendering over the other goes both ways with about equal frequency. As you'd expect, many of the shots where I prefer Epson are at the height of autumn, and many where I prefer Canon are water or twilight.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:42 am »

17" printers have practical cut sheet feeders that take 10-20 sheets of art paper, and many of them will even accept 100 sheets of office paper. .............

Nope. For all three professional 17" models now on the market - SC-P5000, SC-P800, Pro-1000, fine art paper heavier/thicker than Premium Luster should be fed through the fine art paper feeders one sheet at a time.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dehnhaide

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 09:19:54 am »

Nope. For all three professional 17" models now on the market - SC-P5000, SC-P800, Pro-1000, fine art paper heavier/thicker than Premium Luster should be fed through the fine art paper feeders one sheet at a time.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 11:39:41 am »

James, based on you recent response perhaps you might consider a couple of options.

1) - get a 17" printer that may meet your immediate needs to print and learn what fine art printing is all about.  There is a learning curve.  If you need larger prints in this phase of your journey have someone else print them for you.
2)- as your needs swing more and more to larger prints add a 24" to your stable of printers.  If after doing so you don't find yourself using the 17" sell it.   

I currently use a P800 because it has been rock solid with no issues for 3+ years and produces very good results.  One downside for the P800 with roll paper is it doesn't have a built-in paper cutter.  The P5000 remedies that.

I'm an avid non-professional photographer and printer.  I do love great prints of my work and my wife's.  These days I have a friend in California print my larger needs.

I do miss my 24" HP Z3100 with roll paper and built-in spectro.  I probably printed 16x24" more than anything else because I was shooting a LOT of sports and selling prints then.  I gave up on the 24" because it required periodic maintenance from HP (maintenance contracts weren't inexpensive).  I don't think the latest batch of 24" printers are necessarily as needy.  Ask around. 
Regards,
Ron

JamesBlonde

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:56 am »

In terms of normal office / desktop printing, I'd be keeping my Canon MG7750 with its cassette anyway and just start using generic inks rather than OEM.  This large printer would solely be for photography (of any size). 

Space is probably now my prime concern - at current prices I think I'm content that my preference would be to go for a 24" printer if I can find somewhere to put it. :D   rdonson, I do see your point about 17" though, and I definitely appreciate there is going to be a MASSIVE learning curve, given how my attempts to print on my existing printer have gone!  I just don't think I'd ever be able to explain to my wife why I'd need another, bigger printer, at some point in the future!  ;D  I kind of feel I should get the pain out of the way in one go! 8)

rdonson

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 11:53:04 am »

I told me wife I could sell enough prints to pay for it and that I got a GREAT deal on the 24" (it just came on the market and they had some excellent incentives).  Of course, my annual corporate bonus that paid for it was the deciding factor.   ;D
Regards,
Ron

JeanMichel

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 04:20:59 pm »

I have both a P800 and a P6000. Getting a 24-inch or larger printer pretty much means also having a smaller printer. A 17-inch printer takes very little space and can produce quite large prints: how often do you need prints larger than that? Only you can of course answer that. All I know is that if I had space for only one printer it would be my P800, or a similar new model such as the 5000.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »

Which size printer to buy really should be a pretty simple decision:

(1) Do you have space for a 24 inch printer: yes, option open; no, option closed.
(2) Do you have budget for a 24 inch printer: yes, option open; no, option closed.
(3) Do you need more than 17 inch height including borders for a pano: yes, if (1) AND (2) are yes, buy 24 inch; if no, buy 17 inch. 

JamesBlonde

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 08:45:38 am »

I think this is possibly the last question.... :D 

I think I'm likely to go for the P7000.  To answer the 3 questions, I can answer yes to all 3... (if need / want are interchangable!) but....

The (oddly shaped) space I have for it currently has a set of drawers and a low filing cabinet in it.  The question is, if I put a large, sturdy shelf in above the existing furniture for the printer, is having the printer not on the stand a viable solution?  Do I need easy / quick 360 degree access to the printer?  Or is most of the action possible from the front / above?  and does the stand add any value other than to hold the printer?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 09:01:41 am »

The printer is very heavy and the paper drop is integrated with the stand. Never seen such printers used without the stand.

Garnick

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 09:16:18 am »

I think this is possibly the last question.... :D 

I think I'm likely to go for the P7000.  To answer the 3 questions, I can answer yes to all 3... (if need / want are interchangable!) but....

The (oddly shaped) space I have for it currently has a set of drawers and a low filing cabinet in it.  The question is, if I put a large, sturdy shelf in above the existing furniture for the printer, is having the printer not on the stand a viable solution?  Do I need easy / quick 360 degree access to the printer?  Or is most of the action possible from the front / above?  and does the stand add any value other than to hold the printer?

Hi James,

To start, I do have the P7000 and as of the other Epson ProGraphic printers I've had, it does a great job.  I downsized from the SP9900(44") when I moved my business to my home location almost two years ago.  As far as the printer stand is concerned, that's somethingI have always used.  Of course I've also always had room to do so.  Since you have not yet used an Epson Wide Format printer you would not necessarily have experienced the slight but obviously "sway" as the carriage moves back and forth.  If you put the printer on a solid foundation other than the stand, that swaying motion will not happen.  However, one advantage of the sway is the slight and perhaps helpful agitation of the inks.  This is something that has been talked about here and in another forum since my first 24" printer(SP7600) back in 2003.  Again, that swaying motion is probably something you would never miss, and I rather doubt it's something that Epson has engineered for the purpose of agitating the inks, but it can't hurt.  One thing I would warn against, although rather benign in the overall picture.  Don't put the printer on a carpeted floor, for two reasons.  If you ever have an ink leak, something I've never experienced fortunately, it would obviously be a rather nasty thing to clean up, and probably impossible.  Reason number two is the fact that these printers are heavy, and if you ever have to move it you will find that the castors have embedded themselves very nicely in the carpet.  Not saying a move wouldn't be impossible, just much easier on a smooth floor.

I hope I haven't added yet another question to your quest James, just a thought or two.   :)

EDIT:  Hello Mark.  Once again we have been typing a reply simultaneously  :-[

Gary             
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:20:58 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

JamesBlonde

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 12:20:32 pm »

Cool, thanks both!

Garnick, I think it was your thread I found earlier when trying to decide between a P6000 and P7000! :D 

We'll stick with the stand in that case! :)  If it's on castors, it can be moved easily, meaning we can get to the filing cabinet if needs be.  It'll be on a wooden floor, so hopefully easier to clean up in the event of any issues! 

So no, don't think you've added any more questions to my list! :)  The HP DesignJet Z9 post almost made me start to wonder if I needed to rethink, but nah!  P7000....  will phone round suppliers tomorrow.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:28 pm »

Cool, thanks both!

............... The HP DesignJet Z9 post almost made me start to wonder if I needed to rethink, but nah!  P7000....  will phone round suppliers tomorrow.

Well, being that you are at the front end of a large purchase decision that you will be living with for a number of years, it wouldn't do any harm to at least evaluate the HP option carefully. It is a new model with a dearth of any serious review information (seems the company itself is not pro-active in having it reviewed), but if you can find a convenient place that has one up and running, could be good to have a look.

JamesBlonde

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:00 pm »

It was actually the discussion about the T120 that made me wonder about HP rather than the Z9.  I'd be worried about taking a chance on a printer (Z9) that has so little information or comparisons available out there, especially with the Epson prices currently so low.   As someone new to this, not having knowledge and experience to build on seems a bad idea :/

JamesBlonde

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:03 am »

Didn't press "buy" yet as one of the suppliers was going to do a test print on a Pro 2000 and a Z9 (they didn't have an Epson to test on - they seemed surprised I was asking..!).  Not heard back from the supplier after sending the image off.  Would have been an interesting comparison, but the fact it's all gone quiet kind of helps make the decision for me!

In the mean time it seems that the 2 P7000 suppliers that had prices ~£2000ish are now offering a free 3 year warranty on it (and the discount I was told would run out at the end of January didn't, hmm....!  ???)

I'm glad I held off!

JamesBlonde

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 08:12:41 pm »

A little thread dredge....

The Photography Show is on in the UK at the moment, so they've got a ton of show deals on.  I'd gone with my head set on the P7000, but the show got to me a little, and there wasn't a lot of love out there for the P7000!  The Canon people maybe got to me.... 

However, deal wise, I could get:

Pro-2000 for £2400 (~$3200) including a spare set on 160ml inks on top of the starter inks that come with it.

P7000 for £1700 (~$2260), with 3 year warranty.

I managed to get a couple of stunning test prints from a Pro 2000.  One of the supposedly neutral suppliers also did a comparison test print from the P7000, but it looked awful, and they were pushing the Canon quite heavily - don't think it was a like for like comparison.  I've still not managed to get a P7000 test print. 

With the deal on the inks, what would you do? 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 08:57:49 pm »

The Pro-2000 is an excellent printer, but there's no reason why one should necessarily get comparatively awful prints from an SC-P7000; it too is an excellent printer. It's the same printhead and inks as the SC-P5000, but bigger width and much bigger machine. If there is an Epson booth at that show, go there and have a look. Both printers will produce lovely output.

I wouldn't be swayed one way or another by the initial ink deal. Think of the long term. Look at the feature set and usability of each relative to your taste and your needs and make a decision based on which one you think you will be more comfortable operating over the next four or five years. Then bargain with the supplier on price and enticements.

mearussi

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 10:58:49 pm »

A little thread dredge....

The Photography Show is on in the UK at the moment, so they've got a ton of show deals on.  I'd gone with my head set on the P7000, but the show got to me a little, and there wasn't a lot of love out there for the P7000!  The Canon people maybe got to me.... 

However, deal wise, I could get:

Pro-2000 for £2400 (~$3200) including a spare set on 160ml inks on top of the starter inks that come with it.

P7000 for £1700 (~$2260), with 3 year warranty.

I managed to get a couple of stunning test prints from a Pro 2000.  One of the supposedly neutral suppliers also did a comparison test print from the P7000, but it looked awful, and they were pushing the Canon quite heavily - don't think it was a like for like comparison.  I've still not managed to get a P7000 test print. 

With the deal on the inks, what would you do?
If the Epson 3 year warranty includes head replacement then I'd go for that one. At least that way you'd know you'll have 3 years of trouble free printing.

dehnhaide

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 01:59:55 am »

If the Epson 3 year warranty includes head replacement then I'd go for that one. At least that way you'd know you'll have 3 years of trouble free printing.

And of course if you don't mind that the P7000 retains the idiotic black ink switching...

JamesBlonde

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 07:16:36 am »

Mark, I get the impression they set the P7000 up to fail - paper, settings, combination of the above - whatever it was, the result was significantly poorer in terms of contrast and detail capture.  Whilst they sold multiple brands, I was taken to their stand by someone from the official Canon exhibit...  Cheeky...!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up