Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is going on here?  (Read 2138 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
What is going on here?
« on: January 20, 2019, 05:50:22 pm »

I have an odd issue with a panoramic print that did not print properly.   The image is 15062x5468 pixels, printed image size is to be 28.25" x 11.75", sheet size is 36 x 17.  Printing on an Epson P800 using Lightroom CC (Classic).  Printer is cutting off the top third or so of the image, i.e., not printing it at all.  I have attached a couple of related images showing what was supposed to print (Lightroom screen) and a shot of the print coming out of the printer.

Any thoughts would be welcome as I need to print this out but I don't want to keep wasting paper as what was printed was not what was shown on the screen to be printed.  And earlier this afternoon I printed another similarly sized panoramic (different image) that printed correctly (20136x8375 pixels, about double the total pixels)

Thanks
[size=12p

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: What is going on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:01:14 pm »

The pixel vs physical dimensions in height and width do not give the same PPI (ie 553 vs 480 or so), at least for the print width you posted (28.75).  The cell size is correct at 32.4 in the screen for the same PPI but the print looks short.  Are you doing something to shorten the print that is cropping the height?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:20 pm »

Hi Andrew,

This stuff gets tricky - printing panos. Let me take a stab at it based on my experience/recollection printing panos, which I haven't done for a while.

Firstly, the "width" is the short-dimension, not the long dimension. In printer-driverese it relates to the width of the printer carriage. The "height" is the long dimension, so you need to start thinking of your pano as a Chinese Scroll that hangs in portrait mode on the wall and relate your print dimension settings to that scenario. So the "width" is going to be the left and right sides and you want those margins to be equal if you want your "scroll" centered down the page, and you should reverse the width and height settings for the cell size, versus how you have it set up in your screen grab. This philosophy of dimensioning needs to be carried into the Epson driver for guaranteed success. Go into print settings and create a custom page size set-up (as well as all the other driver settings you use) that corresponds with the needs of your pano as discussed above, and save it as a custom preset with its own distinct name. Then, any time you need to print this pano, including the first time, you would select that preset. See if all this helps.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

AndrewKulin

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:32 pm »

Mark:

So what you are saying is I should set the page up as a portrait pano and rotate my image 90 degrees and print it in that manner?  This is the way I have set up previous panos with never such a problem (similar to regular sized sheets which I print in either portrait or landscape mode depending on image)

Now I think I may have found the reason for the failure? (see attached) - I set it to print at 720 ppi and clicking the exclamation point next to the print resolution had this error message pop up.  My PC has 64 GB of RAM so I am a bit surprised at this but I will retry without the 720 ppi checked off (465 ppi (mcbroomf - I mis-typed my length dimension - should have said 32.25 inches)).  Do you think that is the likely cause for this?

Thanks,
[size=12p

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:47:56 pm »

Andrew, I think that warning you got is a nag, not a serious proposition, especially with the amount of RAM you have on your computer.

Actually, the last major one I printed I did in Photoshop because at the time it was done LR wasn't ready for prime time on a job like this. The set-up is as shown in the accompanying screen grab. I left the image in Landscape orientation but created the driver preset as I show here - width related to the printer carriage and the height set slightly larger than the length of the pano. It worked fine from PS. I suspect it should likewise from LR - but it can only be two answers: the orientation is correct or wrong, and you'll know from the first few passes of the print head, so start with the kind of set-up I show here, using LR though, and stand by your printer ready to hit the kill switch!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:49 am »

Download a free 14 day trial of Mirage Print and do your print from an exported 16 bit Full size TIF.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Stephen G

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:06 am »

Are you using the Print Preview? This should allow you to check what has been sent to the printer and catch bad jobs before they start printing. If you are using it then you can try various options without wasting paper and ink.

Another alternative to LR printing, if you don't come right, is Qimage Ultimate.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:44 am »

Lightroom is capable of printing panos correctly. This is most likely a settings issue; therefore it would make sense to explore the settings options in both Lightroom and Photoshop. Then if they ALL fail, which would be unexpected, face a new learning curve with other software. Not saying the other software products don't have their merits, just suggesting a practical approach to this one issue.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:49:30 am »

Andrew,

This video (till about 2/3s the way through for your purposes) provides a very useful guide to making all the settings in the driver and LR correctly.

Pano printing in LR

I made one mistake above - in the LR interface the Width is indeed the landscape width of the pano, unlike what one does in the driver, which I correctly advised. The disconnect is jarring but it works! Try all this and let us know what happened.

BrianWJH

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 02:48:28 pm »

Are you using the Print Preview? This should allow you to check what has been sent to the printer and catch bad jobs before they start printing. If you are using it then you can try various options without wasting paper and ink.

Exactly, try it you'll like it.

Brian.

AndrewKulin

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 07:56:23 am »

I am embarrassed to ask this, but I can not seem to figure out how to initiate print preview in Lightroom>
[size=12p

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 08:53:27 am »

Andrew, I don't know whether you are printing from Mac or Windows, but in the Mac version of LR Classic there does not appear to be a Print Preview function per se, apart from what you see in the main large window in the Print module. However, you can get the kind of paperless preview you are seeking by going to the Print Job panel, and at the very top of it where you see the "Print to:" menu, open that and change it from Printer to JPEG. This will make a JPEG file of what will print (save it to your desktop for convenience), which you can examine and then trash, switch the menu back to Printer and make your print.

Stephen G

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 02:25:51 am »

I am embarrassed to ask this, but I can not seem to figure out how to initiate print preview in Lightroom>

It's an option in the Epson driver. Only on Windows.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:36 am »

Mark:

So what you are saying is I should set the page up as a portrait pano and rotate my image 90 degrees and print it in that manner?  This is the way I have set up previous panos with never such a problem (similar to regular sized sheets which I print in either portrait or landscape mode depending on image)

Now I think I may have found the reason for the failure? (see attached) - I set it to print at 720 ppi and clicking the exclamation point next to the print resolution had this error message pop up.  My PC has 64 GB of RAM so I am a bit surprised at this but I will retry without the 720 ppi checked off (465 ppi (mcbroomf - I mis-typed my length dimension - should have said 32.25 inches)).  Do you think that is the likely cause for this?

Thanks,
In the Lightroom print module this IS your print preview. Your width and height are inverted. When properly set in the cell module your image width should be set to 11.75 to fit on your 17" wide paper. The height of your image will be the 32.4. No other orientation settings to change, just put it in the image cell box correctly.
It will now show properly in the preview. (Just like it will come out of the printer) Picture below 17x36 paper with 32.4x11.75 image.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:45:14 am by Dan Berg »

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:27 pm »

This problem plagued me off and on for years with my Epson 7900 (Mac and various Mac OS levels) until I think I finally found the solution. 

If I understand your problem, you set up everything correctly, double-check it and it all looks right and then when you print, the real paper size comes out differently than what you have carefully spec'd in the Custom paper size.  It looks perfect on screen and it should all work okay - but the paper run is not right and there's either too much or too little paper and in this latter case, the print is chopped.

I finally found that occasionally I was changing the Preset in the Page Setup box to other than "Default Settings" (e.g. maybe to a Preset and maybe I thought this was the 'right' thing to do ...) .... However, set up everything in your Custom Paper, all your dialog boxes and so forth and then finally make sure the Preset says "Default Settings" and see if the issue finally goes away .... it did for me.  It was a hard thing to spot after a lot of trial and error.
JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 02:36:20 pm »

I can’t remember if on the 800 there is a “Roll Paper Banner” setting in addition to “Roll Paper.:  If there is, give it a try and all your issues may disappear.

This is, of course, given Mark’s input on the proper use of custom paper size inputs.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up