Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midnight Rainbows #1: Coronado by Ralph Upchurch  (Read 2001 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
Midnight Rainbows #1: Coronado by Ralph Upchurch
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:54:17 am »

I thought the connection to the past was a stretch, but perhaps it's done on purpose in order to elicit differing ideas. The image is good but my interpretation is more contemporary. The shadow posture is aggressive, giving gravitas to the violence at the television. Meaning frustration, anger, brutality of our times? Or the mythical gunslinger of the west is now real? Or the television gunslingers have had their revenge for their poor treatment at the hands of Hollywood? Or television violence spawns real violence? Mucho macho, bro'.

Yeah, I've had four mugs of fully caffeinated coffee this morning.  :P

EDIT: Or how 'bout the attack of the badass headless photographer?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:04:17 am by OmerV »

faberryman

Re: Midnight Rainbows #1: Coronado by Ralph Upchurch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:43 am »

Is it a part of a series or a one-off?

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:53:55 am »

Is it a part of a series or a one-off?

I imagine the topics of each selection will be different, but be a part of the "Midnight Rainbow" member contributed collection. If I'm not wrong.

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:50 pm »

I imagine the topics of each selection will be different, but be a part of the "Midnight Rainbow" member contributed collection. If I'm not wrong.
I was speaking of this photo in particular, not the Midnight Rainbow series.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »

I was speaking of this photo in particular, not the Midnight Rainbow series.

I would think it is a one-off.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:19 am »

My apologies to Ralph Upchurch if my “interpretation” of his Midnight Rainbow submission was out of line. I rarely critique and it’s plain to see why.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:53 am »

My apologies to Ralph Upchurch if my “interpretation” of his Midnight Rainbow submission was out of line. I rarely critique and it’s plain to see why.

No (civilized) critique is out of line. You need more of that strong coffee from yesterday 😉

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:25 pm »

I just found this thread, and am pleased to see discussion of my photo "Coronado."  I have a few more shots of this subject that also had merit, but it was my own headless shadow that made this one stand out.

I have a proclivity to take selfies of my own shadow, and have done so for many years.  I generally strike a pose which makes each of my limbs distinct, with no overlap, which was my intent here.  I find it interesting and insightful that this was seen as similar to a gunslinger stance, particularly in the wild west setting.

Regarding the historical reference, it was only after I had processed the film and was working in the darkroom that I noticed that the TV was a Coronado.  Who has ever seen or heard of a TV made by Coronado?  And to find one here, in the land that he raped and pillaged?  I was deeply moved, and the image gained more gravitas than I had envisioned.  This was what inspired me to submit this image for Rainbow.  Although I think the image stands on it's own, the back story gives it greater depth, and I think that is what Josh is looking for in this project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up