Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapters for Nikon Z and the results  (Read 3626 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Adapters for Nikon Z and the results
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:32:15 am »

I propose a thread about lens adaptation for the Z.

As expected someone is trying to make a FE -> Z adapter.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62188702

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Adapters for Nikon Z and the results
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:03:39 am »

It’s very pleasing to see the adapters coming along so steadily and so quickly. Very positive for the system.

I personally am not a big fan of adapters, they lengthen the lens a fair amount and it’s another bit to carry and remember and spend money on.

For me adapters fall into two categories. First is to enable the use of lenses not available while waiting for a more comprehensive range of native lenses to hit the shelves. And two, to enable the use of exotic or odd lenses such as my 4 old Minolta Rokkor lenses that I use for a specific feel.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:41:40 am »

True.

In the case of the FE to Z it is a 2mm length difference which is negligible.

You just get more lens options with the Z mount.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »

You just get more lens options with the Z mount.
Not sure this is the case. Before the Z was introduced, there already were adapters for every known lens to every known body being stamped out by the Chinese and sold on eBay. They are now just adding the Z mount to the list.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:37:00 pm »

Not sure this is the case. Before the Z was introduced, there already were adapters for every known lens to every known body being stamped out by the Chinese and sold on eBay. They are now just adding the Z mount to the list.

What other body can you mount Sony FE lenses on?

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »

What other body can you mount Sony FE lenses on?
What other body do you need to mount Sony FE lenses on? Canon and Nikon have equivalent lenses. Use an R or Z adapter. I would hardly think it is a Z advantage that it can accept Sony lenses with an adapter. If you've got Sony lenses you probably have a Sony body to mount them on. You are really grasping at anything to make the Z seem like the best camera ever. You're squandering your credibility. Is Nikon paying you? If they are, they are sure getting their money's worth.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:58:01 pm by faberryman »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:33 pm »

What other body do you need to mount Sony FE lenses on? Canon and Nikon have equivalent lenses. Use an R or Z adapter. I would hardly think it is a Z advantage that it can accept Sony lenses with an adapter. If you've got Sony lenses you probably have a Sony body to mount them on.

Some like the Nikon body more. Now, if I didn't have already a decent number of F-mount lenses I might have taken a Sony body. It was very close as it is. At this point I think Sony offers more than Nikon in a full frame mirroless system. Nikon might have the upper hand in weather sealing and in light, weather sealed and sharp zoom lenses, geared mostly for landscape*. Sony has many more options, some of which will remain unchallenged for quite some time.

I would be very interested to see how some of the Zeiss primes adapt.

* I'm including the not yet released 14-30 F4

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 04:37:06 pm »

I get a kick out of using old lenses on new bodies. The Techart Pro in particular is a handy gizmo that allows autofocusing manual lenses on Sony A7/9 bodies. Prior to the last few years I never expected I'd be able to use Contax RF mount optics on sensor-based cameras at all, much less via AF. Won't be surprised to see TAPs for the Nikon & Canon mirrorless mounts before long.

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 04:54:54 pm »

What other body do you need to mount Sony FE lenses on? Canon and Nikon have equivalent lenses. Use an R or Z adapter. I would hardly think it is a Z advantage that it can accept Sony lenses with an adapter. If you've got Sony lenses you probably have a Sony body to mount them on. You are really grasping at anything to make the Z seem like the best camera ever. You're squandering your credibility. Is Nikon paying you? If they are, they are sure getting their money's worth.

To give you just one example, the possibility to use Zeiss lenses designed for FE mount will be great for Z mount users.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 05:15:53 pm »

To give you just one example, the possibility to use Zeiss lenses designed for FE mount will be great for Z mount users.
I thought all the Sony FE mount lenses were inherently flawed because they were designed for a 46mm throat diameter.

BJL

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:31:56 pm »

I thought all the Sony FE mount lenses were inherently flawed because they were designed for a 46mm throat diameter.
Nobody has said that (At least not at LuLa AFAIK; I dare not speak for all internet forum participants!) The most that has been plausibly claimed is that _some_ combinations of focal length and aperture are easier to achieve with a wider, shallower lens mount, allowing better optical performance and/or lower bulk, or in extreme cases making something possible that is impossible in a more hampered mount.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:35:17 pm »

Marketing aside, I think what anybody reasonable got out of this was that it makes it easier to design high quality lenses, particularly when a smaller lens size is desired.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 06:33:44 am »

I thought that a reasonable discussion was possible...

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:56 am »

Looking forward get a Nikon F to Z tilt/shift adapter- would be nice if Nikon would produce one.
Not  a priority for me, but i can imagine AF and aperture control could still work.
I that cased the Z-mount would up new possibillities for all F-Nikkors, also in video.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 07:45:22 pm »

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/02/25/techart-tze-nikon-z-mount-to-sony-e-mount-adapter-demos-videos.aspx/

It is now possible to use Sony FE lenses on the Nikon Z bodies.

That is a great piece of news and confirms that the Z mount is currently the most universal one. An interesting change from the F mount that was the most challenging to adapt lenses from other makes to.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32:01 am »

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/02/25/techart-tze-nikon-z-mount-to-sony-e-mount-adapter-demos-videos.aspx/

It is now possible to use Sony FE lenses on the Nikon Z bodies.

That is a great piece of news and confirms that the Z mount is currently the most universal one. An interesting change from the F mount that was the most challenging to adapt lenses from other makes to.

Cheers,
Bernard

The most universal already? On what do you base that? More adapters available for different mounts than any other system is how I would define that. Is that true? Can you mount more glass on the Nikon Z mount using adapters than any other mount currently available?
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:07:02 pm »

The Z is the only mount that will enable the adaptation of lenses from other mirrorless systems, starting with FE.

Today we consider adaptation as being relevant for pre mirrorless lenses, but those will soon be obsolete. Within two or three years the only new lens developments will be in mirrorless and lens adaptation will mostly make sense btwn mirrorless mounts.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

Within two or three years the only new lens developments will be in mirrorless and lens adaptation will mostly make sense btwn mirrorless mounts.
Within two or three years, mirrorless makers will have comparable lens lines and there will be no reason for sharing lenses. Why use a Canon 70-200 f2.8 on a Nikon body when Nikon offers its own 70-200 f2.8?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:52:57 pm by faberryman »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 04:48:22 pm »

Because canon might offer something Nikon won’t or Sony will. Just take a look at the DSLR market. No player has all perfect lenses and all are missing some updated ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up