Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Margins Incorrect when Printing From Lr  (Read 2827 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Margins Incorrect when Printing From Lr
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:56:48 pm »

A new problem cropped up today (pun intended).  I set up an image in the print module of Lr with nice wide margins all around.  But each time I printed it, the left margin was just 0.5".  Couldn't get it to center on the page in multiple tries.

I am attaching a screen shot of my print settings and preview, and a shot of the print.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Margins Incorrect when Printing From Lr
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:43:17 pm »

The set-up in Lr Print Tab looks fine. Could you please post screen grabs of what shows for Page Set-Up and Printer Settings.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:15 pm »

As requested.  I don't see anything changed from what has always worked.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:38:19 pm »

In Page Set-Up, for Paper Size, please check in the dropdown whether there is a setting for "US Letter Sheet-borders, Maximum". If so please select it.

In Print Settings, in the Layout Tab, please make sure "Borders" is set to "None". In the Paper Handling Tab, please insure that "Scale to Fit Paper Size" is UNchecked.

If anything you have differs from the above and your version of the P800 driver allows you to select as above, please do so and try a print.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:29:09 am »

If the image in Lightroom appears at a 90 degree angle, it’s usually an indication  that you need to change the orientation choice in the page setup dialog box. You are printing a landscape oriented image so it seems you should have that choice selected in page setup.  Not using the correct orientation is a weird thing, because sometimes the print looks fine, but other times you end up with very odd results similar to what you posted.

It took me some time to realize this but I’ve discovered that when using the single image option as the layout style, the image will always appear normally oriented on your screen if the correct orientation is chosen. Makes it pretty easy to figure out if you have the right orientation selected in the Page setup dialog.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:03 am »

This happened to me recently on a Canon ipf8400. Found out I had checked "No spaces at the top or bottom (Conserve Paper)" in the driver's Layout tab. Don't know if Epson has something similar. Everything in LR was perfect. Drove me nuts for a day! You can't go wrong with advice from Mark and Wayne.

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 09:35:46 am »

Did you have resolve this?

I am having the same problems with my Epson 3880 on Mac 10.14.2

All my settings are as I have always had them but the image is coming out with different magins and not central to the page.   The preview in Lightroom is correct but when it prints it is all off-center

Thanks

Phil

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:34 am »

I don't have much experience printing in Lightroom, but I immediately found it strange that for a horizontal image you have the orientation set for a vertical image.  That would probably work fine if you had flipped the image 90º before sending it to the printer.  Also, your screen shot of the print preview is not correct unless you actually did flip the image.  Otherwise it should show as a horizontal image.  Most of my printing is done in Photoshop, and occasionally when my mind is somewhere else I will do the same thing and the results are somewhat similar to what I see here.  Of course to me the immediate response is the same as your's, "I did everything correctly".  However, after a few tries my thoughts start to return to the present and the problem becomes crystal clear, the wrong orientation.  Voila, problem fixed.  I believe Wayne is correct, but you should also follow Mark's advice.  That combination will likely get you back on track

Gary
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:10:40 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:33:58 pm »

I don't have much experience printing in Lightroom, but I immediately found it strange that for a horizontal image you have the orientation set for a vertical image.  That would probably work fine if you had flipped the image 90% before sending it to the printer.  Also, your screen shot of the print preview is not correct unless you actually did flip the image.  Otherwise it should show as a horizontal image.  Most of my printing is done in Photoshop, and occasionally when my mind is somewhere else I will do the same thing and the results are somewhat similar to what I see here.  Of course to me the immediate response is the same as your's, "I did everything correctly".  However, after a few tries my thoughts start to return to the present and the problem becomes crystal clear, the wrong orientation.  Voila, problem fixed.  I believe Wayne is correct, but you should also follow Mark's advice.  That combination will likely get you back on track

Gary

Don't know about LR, but Photoshop Print Setting page has the layout shown on the left side that should be the first clue.  I never hit Print without first checking there.  I have never seen the layout not match the final print.  Must have developed that habit after few of my own mind-was-somehere episodes.... :)

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:09:43 pm »

Don't know about LR, but Photoshop Print Setting page has the layout shown on the left side that should be the first clue.  I never hit Print without first checking there.  I have never seen the layout not match the final print.  Must have developed that habit after few of my own mind-was-somehere episodes.... :)

And of course in Photoshop, when printing to sheets you have two alternatives when printing a vertical.  You can choose the vertical orientation or flip the image 90º and use the horizontal orientation.  And of course the same thing is true with a horizontal image.  The thing to be aware of is that the orientation in the print dialog must match the orientation of the print itself.  Of course when printing to roll one must be sure the orientation of the image will fit the paper size selected.  A horizontal image wider than the width of the roll must be flipped 90% and printed as a vertical, even though it might actually be a horizontal image.  I once had a customer watching me print one of his horizontal images on roll and asked how I get a horizontal print by printing it as a vertical.  I managed to keep a straight face until I took the print off and laid it on the work bench as it came off of the printer.  I then slowly turned it 90º and we both had a huge laugh at his expense.  Just one of those obvious moments that wasn't so obvious to the onlooker, my customer.

Gary     
Gary N.

rasworth

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:49:37 am »

I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to printer driver software - put as little "strain" on it as possible.  Therefore always print portrait at the driver, don't force it to do a 90 degree rotation of the image, let Photoshop or LR do the pixel processing.  Similarly with color management, keep it turned off in the driver, do it upstream.  Printer design engineers are less skilled at software, probably not as bad as it used to be but still IMO a good rule to go by.

Richard Southworth

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:07 pm »

I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to printer driver software - put as little "strain" on it as possible.  Therefore always print portrait at the driver, don't force it to do a 90 degree rotation of the image, let Photoshop or LR do the pixel processing.  Similarly with color management, keep it turned off in the driver, do it upstream.  Printer design engineers are less skilled at software, probably not as bad as it used to be but still IMO a good rule to go by.

Richard Southworth
A 90 degree rotation is simple math.  No issues.  If you always keep portrait in the driver, you add a lot of work in that you have to rotate the image in photoshop and save that file.

I’ve printed thousands of images from Lightroom and have virtually no issues which I see common place. Lightroom is doing the work, not the driver.

I have customers who purchase epson printers from me and come back with half prints, weird borders and other issues when printing from Lightroom.

A couple of minutes and they never come back with those problems.  For the benefit of those reading this thread trying to find an answer to similar problems ...

First, understand when putting a paper size into the dialog box, the printer doesn’t care if your image is a portrait or a landscape oriented image.  You are telling the printer what size of a piece of paper you are putting into the printer, or if a roll how wide the roll is and how long of a piece you want it to cut off, not how big this particular print is.  So in the width box, you don’t put the width of your desired finished print.  You put the width of the roll or the piece of paper into that box.  Transposing those numbers can lead to all kinds of weird things, they seem to be hit and miss because if you put the wrong size in, but then put in another “wrong” setting they can balance themselves out.

At that point in Lightroom you can easily tell if you have the correct orientation set in the Page Setup dialog.  Just look at the preview image.  If the image is normal, the setting is right.  If the image is sideways, it’s wrong and you need to change the orientation in Page Setup. First one below is right, will print fine.  Second one ... all bets are off as to what you will get. might work, might be weird borders, might be ½ a print.

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 02:45:40 pm »

Richard Southworth

Hi Richard,

I think either you misinterpreted my latest reply or I failed to offer a proper explanation.  When I mentioned "flipping"/rotating the print 90º" to fit the orientation in the driver preview, I was not referring to the driver doing the "flipping" at all.  I totally agree with your assessment of NOT burdening the driver any more than necessary.  When I mention "flipping" the print I mean before it is sent to the printer.  "Similarly with color management, keep it turned off in the driver, do it upstream".  However, if by this you mean let the printer manage colour, I could not disagree more.  Any upstream colour management doesn't mean much if you don't follow through in the driver.  This topic has been thrown around here several times during the many years I've been a member, and it has never garnered much support at all.  However, we all have our ways of working with images.  And perhaps in very few situations letting the printer manage colour could possibly have some merits, but none that I can think of.

EDIT:  I must also include a caveat here.  Everything I have written here pertains only to printing in Photoshop, not Lightroom.  I believe that should be obvious, but perhaps not  ???     

Gary

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:55:52 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

na goodman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 02:57:16 pm »

In Page Set-Up, for Paper Size, please check in the dropdown whether there is a setting for "US Letter Sheet-borders, Maximum". If so please select it.

In Print Settings, in the Layout Tab, please make sure "Borders" is set to "None". In the Paper Handling Tab, please insure that "Scale to Fit Paper Size" is UNchecked.

If anything you have differs from the above and your version of the P800 driver allows you to select as above, please do so and try a print.

Why is a 13x19 showing 19.02?

rasworth

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 04:10:00 pm »

Wayne,
Yes, a 90 degree rotation is simple math, but it does require a hunk of memory, and again I don't trust printer driver software writers.  I've never found it much extra work to rotate and ship it to the printer.  IMO the simplest instruction for new users is never check that landscape box in the printer driver.

Garnick,
I should have been more clear, I only do color management in Photoshop or LR, always turned off in the printer driver.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - Wayne - yes, if I'm using LR, I agree, use rotate to fit and don't muck with the image.  From PS I do it myself.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:17:19 pm by rasworth »

faberryman

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:38 pm »

Why is a 13x19 showing 19.02?
Because that is the exact number of inches based on pixel calculations for your crop.

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 05:00:21 pm »

Hi again Richard,

"I should have been more clear, I only do color management in Photoshop or LR, always turned off in the printer driver".

Thanks for clarifying that.  I thought you were referring to the final print dialog where you have the option of either printer OR the app (Photoshop etc) managing colours, in which case I could not imagine ever letting the printer manage colours.  I guess we both had some clarifications to attend to.

Gary
Gary N.

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 12:14:40 am »

I experienced a similiar problem printing from my MacPro using Lr printing to an Epson 3880. Turned out the problem was my USB cord: it was too long and had a cheap funky extension. Since getting rid of the extension and moving my 3880 and MacPro closer together, the problem has not returned.

Pete Berry

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »

Because that is the exact number of inches based on pixel calculations for your crop.

How can that be, as his image dimensions were 13x7.95"?

19.02" is the actual width of A2+ paper, with a height of 12.95", which the printer chose for "13x19". See the screen cap in the OP's 2nd post. The only exact 13x19" paper size is "Super B" AFAIK, which Canon LF printer drivers include. Don't know about Epson...

Pete
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:49:30 pm by Pete Berry »

mbaginy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:48 pm »

I experienced a similiar problem printing from my MacPro using Lr printing to an Epson 3880. Turned out the problem was my USB cord: it was too long and had a cheap funky extension. Since getting rid of the extension and moving my 3880 and MacPro closer together, the problem has not returned.
I had the same problem when I first bought my 3880.  A shorter USB cord was needed.  My Canon printers don't mind the longer USB cord.

Also, I kept seeing odd printing when clicking the (left hand) Print command.  Only part of an image would print.  My solution is to click the (right hand) Printer...  Odd, but it works.  This happened with my 3880 which died about a year ago.  I haven't tried clicking Print with my Canon printers, don't want to waste paper and ink again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up