Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Item Backorderd, Darn  (Read 1075 times)

kevs

Item Backorderd, Darn
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:08:33 pm »

I did a lot of research between a Sigma and a Canon lens, ordered the Sigma, and then the thing never comes. Back-ordered (BH) a month. Now two more months. Maybe more after that who knows.

.. so I may still buy it,? but.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:31:49 pm by kevs »
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Sigma Pathetic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 03:04:47 pm »

Meanwhile, people have been waiting for a Nikon 500PF for 6 months or more....  Sometimes demand far outstrips what the manufacturer anticipated.  Yes it's annoying but if that is your gauge for "respect" then you should be disrespecting every manufacturer.

kevs

Re: Sigma Backorder, Darn
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:30:48 pm »

Thanks EJ, yes, great points. just change title/ text of thread, especially after I spoke with A+ guy at Sigma.  (first guy spoke there was not too great)

And it turns out that while BH is way behind curve, other stores (and I'm learning these stores names) do have the item -- though the item has gone up with some, and is taxed more by others. Still not sure what to do.

But this is my first round having anything so delayed. It's costing about 90 min in more researched to just got flustered...

E.J. Peiker

Re: Item Backorderd, Darn
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:42:42 pm »

Yeah, B&H being the number one photo equipment dealer on Earth means more people order from them than anywhere else and if it's a new/high demand item, unless you are among the first to order, often they are out of stock for months while you can get the item in other places.  The D850 was a great example of that.  You could not get one for a year from the major online retailers while you could walk into a smaller local store and buy one off the shelf in many cases.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:11 pm »

EJ interesting thanks. Then why buy with BH? I guess.. tax saving, and just used to buying with them? I am learning new stores after this.

Also annoyed they wont call you. You can only call them. 

They are still great but..  I started shopping with BH when they were a small local store in early 90s!  Who would know they would turn into this... for good and bad.

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:38:47 pm »

Well they do stock more stuff than anybody else but in general for a super hot new to the market item, unless you get in in the first hour of pre-orders or you are part of a special purchasing program like NPS, you are likely to be in a long line.

kevs

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41:47 pm »

Eye opener, who am I to know what's hot?

The Canon for all I know is hot over the Sigma, yet they have it.

And Samys had the Sigma in December, but I  had already ordered BH.

But I'm not learning BH options. 

I think 50% that is did not say backordered when I placed the order, but now I can't remember....

guido

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:41 am »

I find that Amazon does well on high demand items because of their network of sellers large and small.

Good luck!

kevs

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 02:27:40 pm »

Guido, but those network of sellers are often shady types, very few camera sellers that are 100% reputable, see this current thread:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127941.new;topicseen#new

Dan Wells

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 02:40:17 pm »

Watch out for the standards of Amazon 3rd party sellers... If you'd trust the company ordering directly, great - it's just the same ordering through Amazon (many smaller, but reputable camera stores put things, especially hot-selling items and odd used gear that may not have a local market, on Amazon to increase exposure). Oddly, a D850 (several months ago, when you couldn't get one) and a Linhof Technikardan are both more likely to wind up on Amazon from a good local camera store than an everyday item like a D750 or a 5D mkIV.

The problem comes if you wouldn't trust the seller directly - the fraudulent New York camera dealers of the 80s and 90s who got swept out of business by the rise of B&H and Adorama have all popped back up on Amazon (and eBay). I'm not sure whether or not it's the same people running them, but their old tricks are in full force. You can find gear marked up well above retail, poorly marked gray-market imports, camera bodies missing batteries, chargers and the like...

What's wrong with the following line? "Nikon D850 and 24-70mm f2.8 lens - $3999"? Sounds like a great deal, no? Well,  nothing specifies that the 24-70mm is a Nikkor, let alone any particular Nikkor. This was an old trick from Cambridge Camera Exchange...

You can bet that lens is the cheapest 24-70mm f2.8 they could find. If you're lucky, it's a Tamron or Tokina AF lens, quite possibly a previous generation, in a Nikon mount. If they're really feeling evil, it's an old manual-focus Cosina lens or something, in whatever mount they can find. I'm not sure if there are any left new in boxes, but those guys used to love to dump Yashica/Contax mount lenses and screw-mount lenses that way...

kevs

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:58 pm »

Good post Dan!
BTW on Ebay, which I bought things from many times, but yesterday, a lens I need, (which BH has back ordered for 3 months) is there.

And the guy, says, "only used once, perfect A+", and then researched, and without doing into detail, I figured out, it was used lot...
Hence, I can't trust Ebay..( in general) for camera equipment.. maybe other things...

Dan Wells

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:09:03 pm »

I suspect the modern version of the screw-mount lens trick may be bundling an APS-C lens with a FF body? I've seen it once on a former student's camera. Cambridge Camera and friends (Broadway Photo was another bad actor) used small discrepancies in specs to claim that they'd notified people about cheap third-party lenses. For example, if they were selling a 24-120 f4-5.6, with a body when the manufacturer lens was f3.5-5.6, you can bet it wasn't a misprint. The lens the specs were very close to was always the kit lens that was supposed to come with the body. The "misprint" was their way of warning you "we've taken the kit lens out and substituted something cheaper".

How many of us would catch "D850 with 18-105mm Nikkor", when it's supposed to be "24-120mm Nikkor" - especially after a long time searching through Amazon listings of similar kits? Even worse, would anyone ever catch "AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens" instead of AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens". Almost identical, but the first one is a DX lens worth as little as $125 refurbished at B&H, while the second one is a FX lens that sells for $600. They'd be more than happy to bundle the DX lens with an FF camera...

Nikon, Pentax and Sony stuff is the easiest to do this with, because crop lenses WILL mount on FF bodies (and take half your pixels  away) - a former student actually had a D610 with 18-55 (?!?!?!) that was sold to her parents by an unscrupulous camera dealer. I helped her get a compatible lens.

Canon has the nice safety feature that the wrong lens won't mount - it can be annoying if you have a really high MP body and some odd lens that you wish you could use and are willing to take the pixel hit for. It does, however, prevent unscrupulous dealers from selling odd combinations (and claiming they work) - if they're really pulling the screw-mount trick, they don't care if the lens fits...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Sigma Pathetic
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:22 pm »

Meanwhile, people have been waiting for a Nikon 500PF for 6 months or more....  Sometimes demand far outstrips what the manufacturer anticipated.  Yes it's annoying but if that is your gauge for "respect" then you should be disrespecting every manufacturer.

Nikon has been under estimating demand for most of their high products for many years... and over estimating the demand for low end.

Sigma lenses, with their amazing price to performance ratio, have been super hot. Sigma is a relatively small company.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:06:52 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: [1]   Go Up