Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Phocus tethering in the studio options question  (Read 1808 times)

paulla

Hasselblad Phocus tethering in the studio options question
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:39:45 pm »

Gents,

Some back story info...

I am a long time Hasselblad/Imacon/CFV shooter. Most of my work is in the studio. I've been using Hassy and Phocus for 10 years or so. The main reason I've stuck with Hasselblad is the quality of the camera gear and stability of their software. Another reason is the live view ability for my clients and product stylist. We are able to place an overlay in live view, via Phocus on our Cinema Display, and follow the exact layout the art director has envisioned.

All that being said...

Is there another tethering software that works with Nikon that has a live view capability as versatile as Phocus? Especially when it come to being able to use live view and overlays that can fill the external display screen. My clients really like this feature and say that

I am still shooting with the C/M and manual lenses, and foresee an expensive upgrade in the future otherwise.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul in Texas

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Hasselblad Phocus tethering in the studio options question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:01 pm »

Paul, I'd wager 90% or more of the people who do work like you use Capture One, whether with a Phase One back or with a small-format camera. It's the absolute industry standard; don't take my word for it, google "Digital Tech" or "Rental Studio" and pick a few random ones to contact to ask what they use; I'll be surprised if you find any at all that don't prefer C1 to any other option. Yes, it has overlay, including in live view, and yes it can be placed on a second monitor. But I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the sheer quantity of workflow tools and options that C1 affords you that Phocus does not. This all sounds very shill, but it's because I'm always very excited when someone who doesn't know about C1 gets a chance to see it for the first time, especially if they are shooting tethered in a studio (it's also really really good for raw editing whether you're tethered or not, but the tethering options are *really* head and shoulders above the rest.

When you consider upgrading your Hasselblad back I'd (selfishly) suggest allowing us to help you test a Phase One back. Phase One has continued to make major investments in their full-frame 645 medium format platform (the XF) and the range of tools, capabilities are very long (I won't bore you hear with that list, but if you're interested I'm glad to discuss further), the stability/robustness/just-works ness of the product is extremely good, and the image quality is second to none. We come through Austin, Dallas, and Houston several times per year, are currently wrapping up the dates/times for our next such trip, and can always arrange a remote demo (e.g. Skype Video/Screen-Sharing) or evaluation unit.

If you need a getting started tutorial on C1 I'd suggest learn.phaseone.com which is free and can be accessed anytime. If you're more of an in-person-learning kind of person I can (again, selfishly) suggest our Capture One Classes that are taught in LA and NYC and occasionally other cities (on the schedule right now is one for San Fran).

Notably, C1 does not support Hasselblad cameras (they are a direct competitor) so the feature set of C1 is only available to you if you are switching away from the Hassy platform. If you are staying on Hassy then the only two softwares for tethering are LR and Phocus.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:39:37 pm by Doug Peterson »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:28:48 pm »

Hi Paul,
I guess my question is "what do you want to do tethered with the Nikon"?

I have used Canon for many years. It comes with tethering software in the box and I used to use that. I don't know if Nikon has a tethering solution in the box so Capture One may be the only option.

For about 5 years now I have used Hasselblad in parallel. First H1 with Phase back, then H2 with Phase back then H3DII-31, H3DII-39 and now X1D. At first I used both Canon and Hasselblad in the studio as I didn't have a lens for every occasion. I have not used the Canon in the studio now for some time and I don't even know if the tethering software works anymore.

Since I got the X1D I now use it for pretty much everything except sport or long distance stuff. I even take it on holidays. It has a GPS.

So I suggest if you haven't done so to borrow or hire an X1D and V series adaptor and try that. It is actually lighter and easier to use than an SLR. I bought mine new as a demo for less than the price of a D4. You could probably sell what you have and get change. Just a thought.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

paulla

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:25:23 pm »

Bob and Doug,

Thanks for your replies.

First off Doug, thanks for being a shill, to my knowledge, Hasselblad does not even have a rep in Texas. I looked at a P45 recently and liked it okay. Quality was nice. I am using a CFV 39 at the moment and file size for catalog work is plenty huge. I will take a close look at C1. Maybe it works with Nikon too?

Bob, probably the Most important thing for me is having a mask and large live view on screen for my stylist to set up our shots. We usually get about 10-15 shots done per day. I will sometimes do high volume work, and use the Nikon if we don't have to use live view. X1D is a thought...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:03 pm »

Bob and Doug,

Thanks for your replies.

First off Doug, thanks for being a shill, to my knowledge, Hasselblad does not even have a rep in Texas. I looked at a P45 recently and liked it okay. Quality was nice. I am using a CFV 39 at the moment and file size for catalog work is plenty huge. I will take a close look at C1. Maybe it works with Nikon too?

Bob, probably the Most important thing for me is having a mask and large live view on screen for my stylist to set up our shots. We usually get about 10-15 shots done per day. I will sometimes do high volume work, and use the Nikon if we don't have to use live view. X1D is a thought...

P45 is 12 years old. Great back for its time, but if you’re making a switch I’d recommending in a back that you’ll still be glad to use 5-10 years from now, and an IQ250 makes more sense to me in that context. Much much better lives view and computer/connectivity modernity.

Yes, C1 works very well with Nikon.

Yes

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:15:27 pm »

I will sometimes do high volume work, and use the Nikon if we don't have to use live view. X1D is a thought...
So it sounds like you just need two cameras?
You could get an X1D body and use it with your V series and lenses and have a path forwards.

I have no idea what they are like but see
https://www.hasselblad.com/dealers/
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up