Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confessions  (Read 2844 times)

Rob C

Confessions
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:06:05 pm »

As a means of starting a new thread/section? - hopefully from other photographers who have gone the pro route, I've started a thread over in the Art of Photography section, under the existing Photographic Styles umbrella. Let's hope I'm not the only garment left hanging on the line...

Rob

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Confessions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »

Great essay, Rob!
That would make an excellent home page article, just add a few pictures from  your calendars and send it to Josh.

Les

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:49:22 pm »

When I go to a supermarket, there are always those self-checkout machines. I avoid it like a plaque, based on my feeling that I do not want to work for something I am paying them. However, given that I will let my subscription to LuLa lapse next month, I guess I can not complain that I am a paying member AND have to work for it ;)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:34:58 pm »

When I go to a supermarket, there are always those self-checkout machines. I avoid it like a plaque, based on my feeling that I do not want to work for something I am paying them. However, given that I will let my subscription to LuLa lapse next month, I guess I can not complain that I am a paying member AND have to work for it ;)

That is a valid point; however, it was resolved fairly quickly after LuLa went pay-for in parts.

Guess it boils down to what we are giving to it: if it's marketable elsewhere, then don't offer it, but if not, then do what you hope is for the greater good, and the continuation of the site.

You've contributed excellent images here, as any regular reader knows without my having to mention it; if it just boils down to difference in slots, no big deal - or if it is, then why?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:48:44 am by Rob C »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:41:25 pm »

Mine was auto-renewed prior to the new management taking over.  I wonder if LuLa offers refunds?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:03:54 pm »

Great essay, Rob!
That would make an excellent home page article, just add a few pictures from  your calendars and send it to Josh.

Les
Agree! The medium is the message, Rob. Right time, right place.

Dladymon

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:54 pm »

I have been a member for a few years now.  I found the site to be a great resource not because of necessarily just one person but due to a collection of ideas, views and commentary that the group provided.  I did not agree with all of the political hostilities but genuinely appreciated the help provided as it related to the art of photography and the processes to create.  It’s a buck a month.  Come on for gosh sakes...

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:53:46 am »

Great essay, Rob!

Les

Seconded.
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:05:22 am »

Seconded.

Hi Josh,

Well, feel free to move it to another space within LuLa if you feel like it, but I don't want to break up the copy with images; it's not written to match particular frames, because that would require a different essay completely, or make little logical sense. I just want to provide a link to the relevant gallery of the website because the rest of my website has little or nothing to do with the subject about which I've written: photographing women, and why I probably got there in the first place.

If anyone who reads the piece is interested enough to want to check out those images, at least seeing them in a gallery allows a sense of flow, continuity and overall aesthetic (now I'm starting to come over as a gallerist!).

Thanks both to you and to those others who have made pleasant remarks about it.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 04:43:14 am »

Plus some more - thanks Rob (you old windbag  ;) )

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:01 am »

Sorry to see that, Slobodan. While I don't agree with some things you've posted, I've valued your candor. I guess my preference for diversity is a result of being a dem*****.   ::)

Calm water for your cruises.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:20:25 am »

Sorry to see that, Slobodan. While I don't agree with some things you've posted, I've valued your candor. I guess my preference for diversity is a result of being a dem*****.   ::)

Access to the forums is free. The subscription payment covers access to items in the main site.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:31:35 am »

Calm water for your cruises.

Thanks for the kind words, Omer.

I should have clarified something. As Jeremy said, forum is free so I’ll stick around. But also, my decision to cancel subscription was made before the change at the top, mostly to protest the ban on politics, plus the waning interest in articles on the main site. Given the few samples of the new main site articles, it is likely I would have done the same, had I not canceled already.

Two23

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:40 am »

I have been a member for a few years now.  I found the site to be a great resource not because of necessarily just one person but due to a collection of ideas, views and commentary that the group provided.  I did not agree with all of the political hostilities but genuinely appreciated the help provided as it related to the art of photography and the processes to create.  It’s a buck a month.  Come on for gosh sakes...

I could have written the above. ;)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:51:53 am »

Hi Josh,

Well, feel free to move it to another space within LuLa if you feel like it, but I don't want to break up the copy with images; it's not written to match particular frames, because that would require a different essay completely, or make little logical sense. I just want to provide a link to the relevant gallery of the website because the rest of my website has little or nothing to do with the subject about which I've written: photographing women, and why I probably got there in the first place.

If anyone who reads the piece is interested enough to want to check out those images, at least seeing them in a gallery allows a sense of flow, continuity and overall aesthetic (now I'm starting to come over as a gallerist!).

Thanks both to you and to those others who have made pleasant remarks about it.

Rob

Ahh. Gotcha. I just wanted to invite you to publish a longer piece if desired.
Best,
Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 09:05:46 am »

Ahh. Gotcha. I just wanted to invite you to publish a longer piece if desired.
Best,
Josh
I would welcome any long piece that Rob chooses to write, whether about photographing women or any other topic that moves him.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 09:13:07 am »

Access to the forums is free. The subscription payment covers access to items in the main site.

Jeremy

Access yes, but participation?

EDIT: Hmm, thought it required a subscription. Still, I sometimes spend more than $12 on chips.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:21:28 am by OmerV »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 10:10:40 am »

Access yes, but participation?

Both.

Jeremy

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:21:56 pm »

I would welcome any long piece that Rob chooses to write, whether about photographing women or any other topic that moves him.

-Eric

Plus one thousand. And three more for in case.

I learnt a hell of a lot about life from him over the years via the common bond we all have here in photography.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 03:13:42 pm »

Plus one thousand. And three more for in case.

I learnt a hell of a lot about life from him over the years via the common bond we all have here in photography.

Riaan, I can tell you that I also learned from communicating with you: writing about my own emotions, tastes in books and photographers and whatevers, made me realise things that were inside me of which I'd not really been particularly aware myself until I actually articulated them in an e-mail, and things like that. My mother was a great letter writer; she kept up correspondences with people she knew from what one could almost describe as lives ago. I think that when you do that, you discover so much of yourself to be common ground within other's minds; the growing experience becomes mutual. Perhaps that's a principal draw of the Internet: when you discover some hidden corner where you can be helped, just by being present, to begin to know yourself better.

Your life in SA and the period of my own in India are perhaps not that different, except that though as rash as you have sometimes been, I never did get bitten on the ass by a cobra or anything else. Okay, a mosquito, then. That said, I was still a kid when we left there, and so finding myself back in the UK wasn't as difficult an adjustment as it might otherwise have been. However, as a result, my inability to feel totally British or even anything other than vaguely European has led me to thinking that prolonged separation from some mother country or the other can make your life less than straightforward: it becomes difficult to embrace national fantasies of innate superiority and, as difficult, to love a lot of national characteristics and interests. Especially sports! Let's not even mention Brexit.

Thanks,

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up