Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging It Out  (Read 4215 times)

Rob C

Re: Hanging It Out
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:55 pm »

That's intetesting: Joel Meyerowitz took the same route as you did. He was sent to meet with Robert Frank who was to do some photography for his agency, and ended up so impressed with the fact that photography could be a mobile, active and living thing, that he went straight back to the office and resigned. The rest became a certain kind of photographic history.

Regarding the other thing - dedication: I don't think anyone can ever get anywhere in photography without it. It's a 24/24 business, and that includes the times other folks have weekends and holidays.

I guess that the thing about being or not being married also has a huge input. If you are not, it's easier to do the 24/24 number because it doesn't screw with anybody else's life and day; if you are, you have to be damned lucky and have a woman who isn't going to criticise, moan about irregular income and hours, about models being perhaps a little too friendly (though it means nothing) and seen as competition. I guess we were both very lucky, and once mine began to take an active part on trips, it made the entire shoot far more of a buzz because we got to spend so much more good time together. With the wrong wife it would be a nightmare, and end in business failure or divorce; nobody could live under those sorts of domestic pressures and work well..

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 03:57:15 pm »

Rob,
I know many a figure painter that has had a tough go, when married to the wrong kind of person. It's a circus for a while and then the last act appears and the curtain drops.....For all the right and wrong reasons. However the driven artist keeps going and often grows and at times becomes Sainted. Art books are full of such Saints.

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 04:03:19 pm »

Being married to the right gal is essential in any profession. Mine herded four sons for two widely different years while I was at war, then two more years while I was a thousand miles away in the US. All four of those kids are happy, very successful men with a total of nineteen grandkids (my great-grands) now. Without my beloved partner it could easily have been pure hell.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:59 pm »

Without my beloved partner it could easily have been pure hell.
Russ,
A true truth!

Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up