Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort of [OT] Steve Kossak DVD's  (Read 17044 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Sort of [OT] Steve Kossak DVD's
« on: October 30, 2006, 02:37:18 am »

Sort of Off Topic and I hope not innapropriate to mention here [but.. I already own ALL the LLVJ's].

Has anyone purchased the Steve Kossack DVD's? And of so how are they?

The sample clips look sort of interesting and I did really enjoy the stuff he and Michael did together on some earlier VJ's - so they are definately tempting to purchase.

would appreciate any feedback on these discs.

Ta.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:25:03 am »

I have the Yosemite DVD and there is one on Death Valley. The DVDs follow Steve's workshops around each locale. They are useful if you want to know where to go to shoot in these places and are competently produced.

CS

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:49:53 am »

I've got both of Steve's DVDs and find that they are a good complement to the LLVJ (to which I also subscribe).  As Chris alluded, their strength is giving useful information on where to photograph in the locations covered.  I understand that the third DVD, on Canyonlands in Utah, is in post-production.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:11:20 am by PaulS »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:18:29 am »

And they've got pretty pictures.  They have little of the commentary or interviews of the LLVJ, however.

I thought the Death Valley one was very cool.

camilla

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:58 pm »

I recommend very highly Steve Kossack's DVD's. I had the pleasure of attending a Death Valley workshop and the experience was absolutely amazing. I never got better shots- the locations are beautifully chosen, the time factor absolute perfection and flawless organization. The fact that we are lucky enough to also enjoy a DVD from that location and others, is really a gift.

I enjoyed both DVD's immensely and look forward to many more. What they show, and I think it's something a lot of us amateur photographers are looking for is.. a hand at understanding how to put it all together- location, camera, filters, the light...all of those things together make our pictures special. Steve is the man who explains all this! He makes it happen, whether on a workshop or through the DVD's. Check them out....

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:24:09 pm »

DVD's arrived yesterday from Steve Kossak - less than 7 days to Australia.

I watched them both last night and I have to say they are really top notch. In some ways the production [DVD Menus especially] is even more professional than the LL [No offence intended Chris! I love your work!]

I dont think in any way these would ever replace LLVJ for me - but they compliment it very nicnely and I would encourage anyone who enjoys the LL to subscribe to Steve's DVD's. Especially if you enjoy the stuff on the LLVJ that Michael and Steve did together around issues 5-12 as Steve's DVD's are very much in this style.

Its a different approach to that taken by Michael and Chris - not better, not worse, just different - and at the end of the day enjoyable, informative and entertaining.

Reccomended Viewing.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pbeiser

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:13 am »

I have both of Steve's DVDs and have had the pleasure of shooting with him on a couple of workshops (and look forward to being on more of his workshops in the future).  I would HIGHLY recommended the DVDs, they are different than the ones that Chris and Michael do, and make a nice addition.  Steve really does a great job on these helping one 'previsualize' an area and prepare before going, and he shows you some of the better locations.  They are a great complement to the various guides to all the areas (ie such as the ones that Robert Hitchman produces, the books that Laurent Martres has published, etc).

Again, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, I just wish he had a lot more of them (I know, fine wine takes time  

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:37:45 am »

I have been enjoying Steve's Death Valley DVD. It is a great help in planning my first trip to DV in January.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paul Sumi

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 01:03:48 am »

FYI, for those interested, the DVDs can be found here:

http://www.stevekossack.com/DVD/index.htm

I understand the third volume, Canyonlands (Moab Utah area), is in the works, although there is no estimated availability date as of yet.

Paul

jdlevy

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 11:00:09 am »

Not only do I recommend the DVD's, I recommend taking one of Steve's field workshops. I have been with Steve at several locations and have always had a great time. His group size is intentionally small to provide for both easy logistics and working together. Steve is quite knowledgeable about both location and location photography and while the purpose of the workshop is primarily leading the group for time and place, Steve is always available for assistance and advice.

I had been to Death Valley twice (not with Steve) before I saw his Death Valley DVD and, as a result, went on his next DV trip to go to places featured that I had not seen in my previous trips.

His workshop website is: http://www.f-8andbethere.com/
David
 My

Paul Sumi

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:17:16 pm »

I understand the third volume, Canyonlands (Moab Utah area), is in the works, although there is no estimated availability date as of yet.

Paul
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Update: the Canyonlands DVD is now on pre-order:

[a href=\"http://www.stevekossack.com/DVD/index.htm]http://www.stevekossack.com/DVD/index.htm[/url]

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 09:26:05 pm »

It has been on preorder for a while now.  I hope it ships sometime soon.

lbergman

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:28:20 am »

It has been on preorder for a while now.  I hope it ships sometime soon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it was only available for preorder since 11/13.    But yes, I hope it ships soon.

ddolde

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 08:01:54 pm »

A counterpoint: based on what I read in this thread, I ordered and watched both the Death Valley and Yosemite DVDs.  

The Death Valley one was the best, at least to my mind.  It DID inspire me to go there.

But the Yosemite one a was a real disappointment.  I found both the images and Steve's presentation lacking, dry and uninspiring.  

Easy to see why Steve is no longer festured on the LL Video Journal.  The man is soo boring.

JMCP

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 08:17:33 am »

Hi,

I have also recently ordered and viewed the Steve Kossacks DVDs. I watched the Yosemite DVD first and was also disappointed with it, Steve's presentation was pretty disappointing, I found him quite unconvincing when he was trying to provide background to the shoots/area. I then, reluctantly, watched the Death Valley DVD but,  I thought it was superb, Steve also redeemed himself to me as the front man for the DVD, he was much more convincing with his his lines and I actually believed that the guy knew what he was talking about when he was giving some historical/geological backgrounds.

In saying all the above,  I had to keep reminding myself that Steve is not an actor but, a photographer so, I cut him some slack. I am still dithering over whether to order his new DVD, although, I probably will.

Cheers John

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 10:28:04 am »

I'm planning my first trip to Death Valley in January, so I ordered Steve's DV DVD and found it extremely helpful. I had read a lot about DV before but was still having trouble prioritizing locations until I watched his DVD.

I've been to Yosemite a few times, so I don't feel I need the DVD for that. But I will probably get the Canyonlands one, since that area is high on my to-do list.

Interestingly, although the Death Valley one gave me a good sense both of the place and of Steve's approach to photography, I expect that I will photograph the same places quite differently. It's to his credit that I could see possibilities that suit my style, which is quite different from his.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 10:25:12 pm »

Easy to see why Steve is no longer festured on the LL Video Journal.  The man is soo boring.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He might not be the most outspoken person, but I have always found the contribution he was allowed to make to be valuable.

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 10:30:54 pm »

He might not be the most outspoken person, but I have always found the contribution he was allowed to make to be valuable.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87287\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Totally agree - I enjoyed the stuff he did with Michael.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 08:19:32 am »

Totally agree - I enjoyed the stuff he did with Michael.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed. The "conversation format" was actually a very good way to make the audience feel more involved. There was also a degree of humour which added something to the mix. But Steve seems to restrict his domain to North America, whereas the LLVJ has grown to encompass a global scope. So I guess there is a lack of common ground.
--
David Mantripp

Paul Sumi

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 04:17:55 pm »

But I will probably get the Canyonlands one, since that area is high on my to-do list.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I attended Steve's Canyonlands workshop during which the video was shot and have the DVD on order.  The trip was a great introduction to the Moab area.   Assuming it lives up to the workshop, the DVD should be very good.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 04:22:02 pm by PaulS »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up