Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Suggestion for this Mirrorless Cameras Sub-forum  (Read 2172 times)

BradSmith

A Suggestion for this Mirrorless Cameras Sub-forum
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:36:31 pm »

re: The 1600 reply topic...."Nikon's new mirrorless system, coming in...late September 2018".   How about closing this thread and whenever anyone has a specific topic related to this camera, they start a New Topic built for that subject.  I stopped reading this thread about 3 months ago because it was so rambling and covered too many topics.  And when it is broad with so many replies, it is very hard to try to find specific topic info that may be buried within it.   And the "Mirrorless War" Topic isn't too much different.  I think this would improve the value of the forum.

Brad

BJL

Re: A Suggestion for this Mirrorless Cameras Sub-forum
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:09:41 pm »

re: The 1600 reply topic...."Nikon's new mirrorless system, coming in...late September 2018".   How about closing this thread and whenever anyone has a specific topic related to this camera, they start a New Topic built for that subject.  I stopped reading this thread about 3 months ago because it was so rambling and covered too many topics.  And when it is broad with so many replies, it is very hard to try to find specific topic info that may be buried within it. ...
That makes sense to me; it has become almost an entire forum for "35mm format EVF cameras" in a single thread.
And as the starter of that thread, I could close it to new posts.
But I am asking opinions of others in that thread before I decide whether to do so; both here and there.

So what do you think, Bernard et al? Time to move on to new threads?

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:32 pm »

Yeah, mirrorless now means 35mm mirrorless.  We seem to be missing the brands that ushered in mirrorless.

Yes,  I know there are many more CaNikon shooters with hordes of glass so its important for them to chime in on mirrorless but..... its time to move on.
Regards,
Ron

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 06:14:49 am »

Just limit topics to say 100 replies or so, done.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 04:38:06 pm »

I agree.

BJL

A Suggestion for this Mirrorless Cameras Sub-forum — Done!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »

As DPReview does. But here, it was getting for 100 pages of posts, and on 100 different sub-topics. So I have locked that thread as Brad Smith suggested.

jeremyrh

Re: A Suggestion for this Mirrorless Cameras Sub-forum — Done!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:01 am »

As DPReview does. But here, it was getting for 100 pages of posts, and on 100 different sub-topics. So I have locked that thread as Brad Smith suggested.
Net mommy has spoken.  What about people who were interested in a number of topics, and appreciated them being all in the same place so they didn't have to monitor a whole load of different threads?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:28:17 am »

No.

Even if it were possible (and I think it's not), it would be a Bad Thing to do. What of threads such as "a touch of humour", or "without prejudice"?

Jeremy

BJL

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:24 pm »

Net mommy has spoken.  What about people who were interested in a number of topics, and appreciated them being all in the same place so they didn't have to monitor a whole load of different threads?
Such people are free to start a follow-up thread, maybe “generic mirrorless talk”. But it seems that a far greater number of people like the idea of threaded discussions, allowing easier discovery of and access to topics of interest without spending time scrolling through hundreds of posts on other topics in one long, sprawling thread.

The list of threads with new posts seems an easy way to find new posts and new threads on multiple topics of interest

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »

As an aside, I don't get the need for a separate mirrorless forum.
I can see the usefulness of one for medium format, but the days of mirrorless being some fringe new thing are gone.
It's even getting a bit weird now that Canikon have seriously entered the mirrorless fray.

jeremyrh

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:05:49 am »

Such people are free to start a follow-up thread, maybe “generic mirrorless talk”. But it seems that a far greater number of people like the idea of threaded discussions, allowing easier discovery of and access to topics of interest without spending time scrolling through hundreds of posts on other topics in one long, sprawling thread.

Well, they used to have a choice. Now you decided that they should not.

Clearair

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 07:44:09 am »

We already have a separate large format topic from the rest so why not a 4|3 sensor separate topic. Iam not trying to over complicate the forum but I see some needless sensor snobbery in DPR and lets not have it here. I have shot Canon for more than 40 years but now this gear sits waiting for a reason to use as I acquaint myself with the tech in my new OMD E1 11. The FF etc mirrorless or other wise can ramble on all to themselves elsewhere. If a format becomes irrelevant in market terms OK but I don't think 4|3 will in any hurry. Do I care, they are tools after all. Happy New Year to everyone, I hope to use the OMD in anger in Berlin in March. :o

Rado

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:39 am »

As an aside, I don't get the need for a separate mirrorless forum.
I can see the usefulness of one for medium format, but the days of mirrorless being some fringe new thing are gone.
It's even getting a bit weird now that Canikon have seriously entered the mirrorless fray.
I agree. The tendency on lula to split everything into tiny specific subforums is bizarre. We don't have the traffic/activity to justify it. For example the last thread on the first page of this subforum was last active 2 months ago.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:08:27 am »

I see the impact of a general trend in society that goes towards less mixity, less debate, more soft agreement in fear of conflict.

We prefer to stay among ourselves instead of

On the other hand it does make sense to be focused in order to avoid a complete mess.

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

Broader forums, focused threads?
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 01:12:00 pm »

It might surprise some people that I like the idea of fewer, broader forums, maybe even at the general level of “gear discussions”, “photographic technique”, etc.. In fact I often just look in the grand unified forum, “Show unread posts since last visit” and look for thread and post titles of interest.

On the other hand, I do much prefer threads that stay mostly on their advertised topic—or alternatively, updated post titles that inform me about their topic when that has drifted far from the OP’s title. With that mega-thread, it devolved to the point that I would see a new post announced and click through, almost always to find a post on a quite remote and to me far less interesting subject. Now there is a new Z6/Z7 thread that is (so far!) far truer to its advertising.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:41:36 pm by BJL »

BradSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:31 pm »

Thanks
Brad Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up