Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 Troubleshooting Help  (Read 2232 times)

sportmaster

HP Z3200 Troubleshooting Help
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »

Several months ago I replaced the format and printmech boards with advice for forum members.  The printer has worked well with no problems until recently.

Per your advice I leave the printer running 24/7.  A few days ago I noticed the display screen was blank and there was a red light.  The printer was unresponsive to any keyboard controls including the front panel power switch.   Shut down can only be accomplished via the main power switch.   An immediate restart results in the display indicating a 1.10 error and saying to restart again.  Sometimes it will restart correctly and sometimes I need the remove the formatter board and battery. 

The machine works fine after restarting but seems to develop this blank screen/red light problem  after being left on for 12 - 24 hours.  Ideas???

deanwork

Re: HP Z3200 Troubleshooting Help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:06:15 pm »

Did you try to replace the battery on the formatter board?

Also try unplugging the printer and leave it unplugged overnight.

quote author=sportmaster link=topic=128573.msg1089623#msg1089623 date=1547508708]
Several months ago I replaced the format and printmech boards with advice for forum members.  The printer has worked well with no problems until recently.

Per your advice I leave the printer running 24/7.  A few days ago I noticed the display screen was blank and there was a red light.  The printer was unresponsive to any keyboard controls including the front panel power switch.   Shut down can only be accomplished via the main power switch.   An immediate restart results in the display indicating a 1.10 error and saying to restart again.  Sometimes it will restart correctly and sometimes I need the remove the formatter board and battery. 

The machine works fine after restarting but seems to develop this blank screen/red light problem  after being left on for 12 - 24 hours.  Ideas???
[/quote]

sportmaster

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:36:11 pm »

Yes, replaced battery and even tried another formatting board with same result.  The formatter board and battery were  out 6 - 8 hours.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:33:08 pm »

It’s possible the power supply needs replacing. It is a box on the left side. That’s not a big project I don’t think. You could check eBay to see if any are for sale. If I were in your shoes I would contact HP support and see if they can tell you anything.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hp+z3200+power+supply&_sacat=0

quote author=sportmaster link=topic=128573.msg1089629#msg1089629 date=1547512571]
Yes, replaced battery and even tried another formatting board with same result.  The formatter board and battery were  out 6 - 8 hours.
[/quote]

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:08 am »

I reviewed your original thread where you replaced the formatter and the print mech board.  There was mention of the possibility that you had a power surge from lightning back then?  It could be true that lightning does strike twice?

Before pulling any components, first remove all your cartridges and restart the machine from the power switch on the back of the printer.  See if the printer will come up and ask you for the carts.  If it does, you might be good to go.

If not,

You could try taking out the current formatter board and replacing it with the old one.  Try this next.  See if anything happens.

Whatever any of us do, one thing to remember, is to replace components one at a time, and never two or more at the same time.
Print heads and Cartridges excepted.

The logic system is logical.  It deals with issues one at a time.  If at first you don't succeed, keep trying at least three times before moving on.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

sportmaster

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:32:13 am »

Mark,

Thanks for your advice.  I did try using another formatter board (removed for several hours, new battery) with the same result, upon restart the printer works fine but becomes unresponsive after sitting unused for several hours.  At that time the front panel screen is on but displays nothing.  Also a small red light is on in the display. 

I took out formatter board last night and plan to reinstall today with new battery after waiting 24 hours.

Do you recommend removing ink carts and starting machine without them?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:14:24 pm by sportmaster »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:02 pm »

Mark,
Thanks for your advice. 
Do you recommend removing ink carts and starting machine without them?

Only if/when the initialization process is stuck.  If you can't get the printer to initialize, it sometimes will come back up using this method.

-M
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

sportmaster

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:56:27 pm »

Followed your recommendations and printer now working.  THANK YOU!

sportmaster

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:58 am »

Printer has worked fine until today when I discovered the original error returned; blank, but lit display screen, red indicator light on and unresponsive to any keypad input.  Only way to turn off is through main power switch.

sportmaster

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 04:44:36 pm »

Is it possible LAN connection or Hp Utility could cause my printer to crash after sitting idle for many hours?  Just wondering because printer is still running fine after many hours with LAN unplugged.   

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 06:48:51 pm »

Yea could be some voltage issue with Ethernet. I would just use usb for a week or so and see what happens. If you are still seeing issues uninstall all the driver and reload it and utilities and any firmware.

Is it possible LAN connection or Hp Utility could cause my printer to crash after sitting idle for many hours?  Just wondering because printer is still running fine after many hours with LAN unplugged.   

sportmaster

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:48 am »

Still have not solved the problem of my HP Z3200 crashing if left connected to LAN for more than 8 hours.   I have resorted to leaving it powered on, but unplugged from LAN until I need to print something.   

sportmaster

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 10:50:03 am »

Problem solved.  I was sent wrong formatter board.  My printer is revision B.  The replacement formatter is a revision A. 

Identification tip:  Revision B formatter boards have three red LED lights located near the USB, LAN connections.  Revision A has no lights.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:13:36 pm by sportmaster »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 11:50:39 am »

Thanks for updating us.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up