Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17" Printer Recommendations?  (Read 1054 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
17" Printer Recommendations?
« on: January 12, 2019, 11:37:55 am »

After many years of great service, I think it's time to replace my Canon iPF5000.  Especially considering drivers haven't been updated in years.  I'm looking at the P5000 but have read many terrible reviews about clogs and paper load failures.  Given that I don't print very frequently, this is a big concern.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris

howardm

Re: 17" Printer Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:22 am »

I hear the 5000 is much better than the 4900 in that regard.

Do you really need roll paper and the heavy-dutyness of the 5000?

Could the Epson P800 or Canon PRO-1000 suffice for your work?

Matthew63

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:36:52 pm »

the p800 is very nice, lite weight and can be used with roll paper, but no auto cutter...
For a similar price epson has older ink system 17 with a built in cutter.. 5000? i think..
If you live in Co you could swing by and see the p800 I have...
lol

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »

After many years of great service, I think it's time to replace my Canon iPF5000.  Especially considering drivers haven't been updated in years.  I'm looking at the P5000 but have read many terrible reviews about clogs and paper load failures.  Given that I don't print very frequently, this is a big concern.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris

If you print infrequently I don't recommend this printer. You should be looking at an Epson P800 or a Canon Pro-1000.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bobfriedman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:41 pm »

I would recommend the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000... 
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Daverich

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:16:09 pm »

If you print infrequently I don't recommend this printer. You should be looking at an Epson P800 or a Canon Pro-1000.

Mark, I basically decided to get my P5000 after reading your review of it so it’s not really my place to disagree with you but if your suggestion to him to get a P800 instead of the P5000 is because of low usage, I’ve not had any problems with mine. I only print every couple of weeks and haven’t run into any problems with clogs. I’ve been doing some traveling this year and haven’t had any problems letting it sit for three or four weeks. That’s my experience with it at any rate.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:26:37 pm »

Thanks for the insight.  I didn't realize there was a roll adapter for the P800.  Tough call between it and the Canon 1000 for sure.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 05:28:00 pm »

Mark, I basically decided to get my P5000 after reading your review of it so it’s not really my place to disagree with you but if your suggestion to him to get a P800 instead of the P5000 is because of low usage, I’ve not had any problems with mine. I only print every couple of weeks and haven’t run into any problems with clogs. I’ve been doing some traveling this year and haven’t had any problems letting it sit for three or four weeks. That’s my experience with it at any rate.

That's fine, I still think the P5000 is an excellent printer. When doing a review one doesn't have the benefit of long-term usage - otherwise the review would not be published in a timely manner, so the observations in a review pertain to its performance while under test. That said, one needs to understand that this is a printer designed for heavy duty use, so when it goes unused for a while it may be more prone to clogging than when it is more used. Your experience is very good. Mine, over the past 21 months has been more variable. If it isn't used for a week or more, it will surely need some cleaning, usually minor but one or more cleaning cycles nonetheless. For someone who isn't printing much and doesn't need the P5000 heavy build, roll automation and extra gamut of the orange and green inks, a P800 would likely make more sense.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 05:33:42 pm »

Thanks for the insight.  I didn't realize there was a roll adapter for the P800.  Tough call between it and the Canon 1000 for sure.

A key difference between the P800 and the Pro-1000 is the flexibility of paper options. There is no roll feed for the Canon, there is no flat feed for very heavy/still media, and there is a tight limit of about 26 inches on allowable print length. If none of these factors matter to you, it could be a good choice. It's gamut is slightly larger than that of the P800 on gloss/luster papers that I've tested. The front Fine Art feed mechanism on the P800 can be irritating, but that is overcome feeding this kind of paper through the back roll feed instead of the front. The Canon paper feed is very easy and very reliable - essentially "drop and print".

Chris Barrett

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 05:36:47 pm »

Oh, one more thing... do you guys know how deep the P5000 is from the back of the roll feed to the front?  My desk is 30"deep and I was hoping to avoid a stand.  I know the p800 and Pro1000 will easily fit in that space.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41:55 pm »

Oh, one more thing... do you guys know how deep the P5000 is from the back of the roll feed to the front?  My desk is 30"deep and I was hoping to avoid a stand.  I know the p800 and Pro1000 will easily fit in that space.

About 30~31 inches, but the printer footprint is 23 inches - all four feet fit within the latter, so you can sit it on a 30 inch desk especially if you have a bit of space for overhang back or front.
Pages: [1]   Go Up