Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Venice in B&W  (Read 531 times)

mbaginy

Venice in B&W
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:46 am »

During my December visit to Venice I concentrated my photography on motifs off the beaten paths.  I quickly learned to pocket my map and allowed myself to become lost in the tangle of narrow alleys.  Completely safe and immensely satisfying.  Bella Venezia!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Venice in B&W
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:30 am »

Nice set. The first two are among the more original captures of Venice.

A question: the third one has a shadow that is very sharp, surrounded by a gray halo. Lens bokeh or Clarity adjustments?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:41 am »

A fine set. My favorite is the second.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:22:25 am »

Very nice set with the first being my favorite. The light (#1) is exquisite!
Francois

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:27 am »

Refreshing set!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:16:14 pm »

Thanks guys, for your comments.  I really enjoyed photographing these as well as processing them.

Slobodan, no negative clarity applied - in fact +28 clarity and +10 dehaze.  Dehaze is a nice slider which I sometimes use (lightly) to intensify contrast.  I noticed the halo too and am not overly pleased with it.  The halo materialized when I lowered the brightness (via highlights) of the sunlit wall.  Maybe there is way of reducing the halo in Photoshop, but I'm unfamiliar with it.  Photoshop offers sooo many possibilities!  I envy proficient users.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:46 pm »

Thanks guys, for your comments.  I really enjoyed photographing these as well as processing them.

Slobodan, no negative clarity applied - in fact +28 clarity and +10 dehaze.  Dehaze is a nice slider which I sometimes use (lightly) to intensify contrast.  I noticed the halo too and am not overly pleased with it.  The halo materialized when I lowered the brightness (via highlights) of the sunlit wall.  Maybe there is way of reducing the halo in Photoshop, but I'm unfamiliar with it.  Photoshop offers sooo many possibilities!  I envy proficient users.

Funny, I am processing some of my photographs as we speak, and realized that halo (in my photos) comes from auto Highlights adjustment. I decided to sacrifice the highlights (i.e., bring them back to zero) in order to avoid such a pronounced halo. It worked for my photograph, not sure if it would work for anyone else's.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:18:16 pm »

Excellent set! For me, #2 stands out.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:49 pm »

Brautiful shots all; I particulatly like the first two, and perhaps that first one best of all.

Colour couldn't have given that feel. Amazing.

Rob

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 02:54:38 am »

Funny, I am processing some of my photographs as we speak, and realized that halo (in my photos) comes from auto Highlights adjustment. I decided to sacrifice the highlights (i.e., bring them back to zero) in order to avoid such a pronounced halo. It worked for my photograph, not sure if it would work for anyone else's.
Slobodan, I recreated my b&w conversion with a virtual copy and was able to reduce the halo a bit.  Again, as soon as I moved the highlight slider (reducing highlights), a halo began appearing.  I also needed to use an adjustment brush to locally darken some sunlit surfaces, but tried to stay away from the circumference of the person's shadow as much as possible.  In the end, the halo was less, but still present.

I don't use auto functions during processing exposure and I (try to) expose to not blow out highlights.  First I process a color image, then convert to b&w using the "v" key (in LR) and further process for the monochrome version.  Maybe this is a factor of having a Fujifilm x-trans sensor and using LR, but I won't change software or camera, so I'll keep refining my processing.

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 02:56:56 am »

Thanks, Rob and Jeremy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up