Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Up to LR Subscription; any issues?  (Read 2098 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Moving Up to LR Subscription; any issues?
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:53 pm »

I've been on the standalone LR to now.  However, I just got a new Nikon Z6 and have to move to the Subscription version to get support for this camera.  Does updating to the subscription version preserve all the presets or is there a directory that I need to save and then re-copy following the install.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Moving Up to LR Subscription; any issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:42:54 pm »

You don't need to do anything special as Lr8 simply uses all the existing presets.

I might suggest doing a backup of your Develop presets. That's because these presets are now stored in an xml format and in a folder shared with Camera Raw. The existing Develop presets will be automatically copied into the new format and to the new location, and the existing templates will then be renamed with a leading tilda ~. If for any reason you need to repeat this conversion process (which is unlikely) it may be easier to have the existing ones.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »

You don't need to do anything special as Lr8 simply uses all the existing presets.

I might suggest doing a backup of your Develop presets. That's because these presets are now stored in an xml format and in a folder shared with Camera Raw. The existing Develop presets will be automatically copied into the new format and to the new location, and the existing templates will then be renamed with a leading tilda ~. If for any reason you need to repeat this conversion process (which is unlikely) it may be easier to have the existing ones.
Thanks, will do!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 03:01:36 am »

The "new location" point is important if, like me, you use Dropbox to sync presets between computers: you'll need to update the links.

Jeremy

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:45 am »

I don't want to influence your decision to "upgrade" to the subscription model, but in case anyone is wondering, note that the perpetual LR6 can open new RAW filers by pre-converting them to DNGs with Adobe DNG Converter (free).

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:37 am »

The "new location" point is important if, like me, you use Dropbox to sync presets between computers: you'll need to update the links.

Jeremy
Thanks but I only have LR on my workstation.  I don't have a laptop these days (one of the benefits of retirement) and only marginally use Dropbox.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:04 am »

I don't want to influence your decision to "upgrade" to the subscription model, but in case anyone is wondering, note that the perpetual LR6 can open new RAW filers by pre-converting them to DNGs with Adobe DNG Converter (free).
Yes I know and I could also use Nikon's own software to do a conversion to TIFF.  I rather prefer the one step approach in LR and I've not 'embraced' the use of DNG format.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »

but is that DNG raw equivalent to a true RAW file? I know with Phase One files several years ago, DNG conversion was basically raw to Tif to linear DNG.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:31 pm »

but is that DNG raw equivalent to a true RAW file? I know with Phase One files several years ago, DNG conversion was basically raw to Tif to linear DNG.

Yes, the default option in the Adobe DNG converter leaves a true Raw file. You can change the preferences and create a linear (demosaiced) DNG.

Programs like Capture 1 or DxO Photolab, can output to DNG from rendered files, so the only option is Linear DNG as they have been already demosaiced.

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 12:56:13 pm »

Yes I know and I could also use Nikon's own software to do a conversion to TIFF.  I rather prefer the one step approach in LR and I've not 'embraced' the use of DNG format.

I used DNG for a while and just didn't like it. Found it a pain and I also prefer the one step approach. Lots of changes going to LR8. The default profile is now Adobe Color. They made it more pleasing to the eye at first glance to stay competitive with other developers.         

shalimarphoto

• Shalimar B Photography - Family, Baby & Child Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:06:33 pm »

I haven't had any problems moving over to the subscription version.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 05:48:22 pm »

So I bought a yearly license for LR/PS CC.  Program installed but not the most current version.  The CC dialogue box says it is running version 7.5 and ACR 10.1.  this does me no good as my new Z 6 requires version 8.1 & Camera Raw version 11.1  I am running Win 8.1 and I vaguely remember that there was a pop up about compatibility.  I just looked on the Adobe website and they say that Win 7 is supported byt not Wiindows 8.1.  How can this be???

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:36 pm »

Is your Windows 8.1 64 bit?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 07:41:51 pm »

Sorry, I just saw that Windows 8.1 is not supported, don’t know why.

faberryman

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:52 pm »

Sorry, I just saw that Windows 8.1 is not supported, don’t know why.
I am running Windows 8.1 and Lightroom Classic CC would not upgrade beyond version 7.5. and Camera RAW 10.5.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:29 pm »

Unless you have a hardware limitation, my sincere recommendation is to upgrade to Windows 10.

A few sources were reporting at the end of last year it was still possible to get the upgrade for free if you had a valid licence of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. I don't know if this is still true.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 08:20:46 am »

Unless you have a hardware limitation, my sincere recommendation is to upgrade to Windows 10.

A few sources were reporting at the end of last year it was still possible to get the upgrade for free if you had a valid licence of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. I don't know if this is still true.
My workstation is home built and all the hardware is compatible with Win 10.  I just have to get a new SSD to install Win 10 on as I'll keep the current OS drive just in case something goes wrong.  It's recommended that I get the Pro version as one can control the update process and I don't think my Win 8.1 license qualifies for that update.  Fortunately, Win 10 installation goes pretty quickly as I've seen on some videos.

It's just a bit of a bummer that I have to go through this but that's what happens when software is not made backwards compatible.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:24 pm »

Re Aram's comment about converting to DNG, I tried this with my Fuji X-T3 RAWs.  I found that the Fuji film simulations were not available in LR6.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »

Just a quick note to update things.  I installed Win 10 this morning and things went mostly smooth.  Installation of LR via the installer brought up the current version of LR that I need for the Z 6.  Now I need to get out and take some pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up