Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Mc Curry  (Read 292 times)

Ivophoto

Steve Mc Curry
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »

Iím subscribed to Steveís blog.
He alway touches me with some of his portraits.

This episode: silent language of hands.

https://stevemccurry.blog/2019/01/08/silent-language-of-hands-2/

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Steve Mc Curry
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »

He's a master, Ivo. No question about it.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »

You might also enjoy the work of Sam Abell, Ivo. One evening talk a few years ago I was able to attend centred around his sentiment that photography, alone in the arts, seems perfected to serve the desire humans have for a moment-this very moment-to stay. Edgy existence of made images and those unmade.
A common woman~

Ivophoto

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »

You might also enjoy the work of Sam Abell, Ivo. One evening talk a few years ago I was able to attend centred around his sentiment that photography, alone in the arts, seems perfected to serve the desire humans have for a moment-this very moment-to stay. Edgy existence of made images and those unmade.

Tx Patricia, Iíll check it out!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »

I like his work. Despite the fact that he is currently mired in controversy and almost certainly staged some of his most iconic images.

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »

Schmaltz

Ivophoto

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »

Schmaltz

Yes and no.

Some of his work could be guilty to be over sentimental.
Not all however. The picture of the little girl in Rome (see link) is a lovely photo.

Ivophoto

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:59:05 AM »

I like his work. Despite the fact that he is currently mired in controversy and almost certainly staged some of his most iconic images.

Did someone really thought he did not stage his images?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »

Well he kind of denied it for quite a while. He even hired people and arranged props. I thought things looked a little arranged but didnít expect that level of intervention.

Not saying I subscribe to this view totally but he is mostly accused of creating a post colonial ideal of India. Not the reality but a western romantic ideal.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »

Oh, gosh Martin, could that actually be true? Staged some of his images? You mean like Doisneau? Or BrassaÔ? Or Gene Smith? Or just about any photojournalist? Golly! That takes away all his attaboys. Right? Knowing that, we'll never again be able to look at his work and enjoy it.

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »

Well he kind of denied it for quite a while. He even hired people and arranged props. I thought things looked a little arranged but didnít expect that level of intervention.

Not saying I subscribe to this view totally but he is mostly accused of creating a post colonial ideal of India. Not the reality but a western romantic ideal.

My limited experience of India is there is no, one, reality, which is a large part of its appeal.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:18 AM »

My limited experience of India is there is no, one, reality, which is a large part of its appeal.

I have to agree with that. So choose your India I guess. But he chose one that went out of fashion. Bad luck I suppose. Still as I said in my first post. I admire his work. I have book.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »

I think everyone's reality is mired within their own social experience, which is often not much more complex than their class status.

My reality is a million moles removed from that of wealthy people; making the crossing as a friend is not the same thing as having the same reality as do they, and I guess was summed up neatly a long time ago in that old one about big fleas having little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, and little fleas having lesser fleas - and so ad infinitum.

Live in the middle of the desert and you don't share the life experience of the ocean fisherman.

As I recall, even Glasgow had a huge range of differing realities. The scope for India is unlimited.

Of course, photographers tend to create their own realities, which is cool, just as long as they don't sell them on as fact.

How did we get here, again?

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up