Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium Format Tripod and Head Suggestion  (Read 4583 times)

Ghaag

Medium Format Tripod and Head Suggestion
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:16:09 pm »

I was hoping to get some insights/recommendations for a new tripod & tripod head.  I would like a tripod that weighs 4.5lbs or less, no center column, max height near 60" or more, min height 8" or less.  For the Tripod Head, this is for landscape photography (including pano's), really need some help here.  I am open to ball heads or something like the Arca-Swiss C1 Cube.  I have researched and feel like I am in a fog at the moment, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg

landscapephoto

Re: Medium Format Tripod and Head Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:06 pm »

I use an H4D camera. To my surprise, I found that a cheap and light tripod was all that was needed, because the camera central shutter produces far less vibration than a 24x36 focal plane shutter. So that is a datapoint.

Ghaag

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:38:58 pm »

Thank you for the feedback, I also shoot with the Hasselblad.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:41:06 pm »

I did a lot of research for the same question and came up with a solution I'm very happy with. For a tripod, I got the Feisol CT-3441T Traveler Rapid Carbon Fiber. It weighs about 2.5 lbs and holds something like 44 lbs. Cheaper than a Gitzo 2 Series but has specs comparable to a Gitzo 3 Series.

For a head, it really depends if you want a ball head or a larger, more precise head like the Cube. I already have a Linhof 3D micro geared head for a more precise, heavier option, so for the Feisol tripod I got a ball head with a leveling function, so that once it's level, you can rotate / pan it anywhere and it remains level. It's the Arca Swiss P0 head. If you get the "Monoball P0 with Panning System," you can add a Really Right Stuff clamp to it, which will then clamp to an RRS L-bracket on your camera. It's an overall great solution. The head I got is this one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658802-REG/Arca_Swiss_801211_Monoball_P0_with_Panning.html?sts=pi-ps

Ghaag

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:04:04 pm »

Ethan, thank you so much for the detailed response, it is very helpful!

Two23

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:43:40 pm »

Just because a tripod will hold something doesn't mean it  is a good choice.   A too light one will vibrate in the wind.   A gitzo series 2 is as light as I would go.  I use a series 3 unless hiking in the mountains or flying.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Ghaag

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:08 pm »

Thanks for the reminder Kent, which tripod head do you prefer?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:40:00 pm »

I use an H4D camera. To my surprise, I found that a cheap and light tripod was all that was needed, because the camera central shutter produces far less vibration than a 24x36 focal plane shutter. So that is a datapoint.
Ditto. If you upgrade to an X1D there is no movement. You only have to worry about wind in slow shutter speeds.
The last two times I took a tripod overseas I hardly used it. I now just carry a light carbon fibre with ball head.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Ghaag

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:23 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Bob.  My situation is a little different, I almost always shoot on a tripod and often with longer exposures.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 05:05:34 pm »

I use the feisol elite 3472.  It weighs less than 4lbs but the leg diameters are huge all the way down.  Does amazing even in running streams and rivers.  Very solid and can get to absolute ground level pretty much with legs at any angle even upwards.  I’ve had it almost inverse on rocks. 

I use a bh55 ball head from rrs...but it weighs too much if you want to keep it light in the field.  You can get away with a bh40.  I do recommend a nodal slide like for panoramas though.  I like to center my camera weight over the ballhead, it adds stability.  The nodal slide lets you adjust any camera and lens, not just ones with lens collars. 

The feisols are surprisingly affordable for what they offer compared to the gitzo or rrs equivalent.  Just as solid.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Ghaag

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »

Tony,
Here is what I was leaning toward, I will take a look at the items you mentioned.  Thank your for taking the time to give me your input.
Greg

I am leaning heavily towards the Arca Swiss D4 Geared Head, still a little uncertain on the tripod. 

Arca Swiss D4
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966748-REG/arca_swiss_870103_d4_monoball_fix_geared.html

Tripods

Gitzo GT3533LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328244-REG/gitzo_gt3533lsus_systematic_tripod_ser_3_3s.html

Benro TMA38CL
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157821-REG/benro_tma38cl_mach3_9x_carbon_fiber.html

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »

I have used the RRS TVC33 and the BH55 for several years and I'm very happy with it.  I'm shooting a Phase IQ3-100 and feel I need the weight for stability given the variability of field conditions.  Personally, I would rather take one less lens than potentially risk instability due to a smaller tripod.

Ghaag

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:59 pm »

Thanks Cam, I agree.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:22 am »

I’m using a RRS TVC 34L MK II with an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head that has had the clamp replaced with a RRS lever clamp.  After many years of messing about with ball heads, this is far and away the best tripod/head combination I’ve ever used.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:08 am »

If you can deal with the limited adjustment range, the new Arca Swiss L60 "leveler" head is compact, light and, in my opinion, just as solid as the Cube. It is essentially the P0 ballhead without the ball and stem. I mount it on a RRS leveling base that essentially doubles the range to about 30 degrees.

But, you need either an L bracket or some similar method of getting to portrait orientation.

Dave

Ghaag

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:26 am »

I’m using a RRS TVC 34L MK II with an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head that has had the clamp replaced with a RRS lever clamp.  After many years of messing about with ball heads, this is far and away the best tripod/head combination I’ve ever used.

Rand

Rand,
It seems the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head best fits my needs.  I am trying to decide between the RRS TVC 34L MK II and the Gitzo GT3533LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long).  Do you have any experience with Gitzo?  Thanks for your insight!
Greg

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 06:33:46 pm »

Between gitzo and rrs it is personal preference in my opinion.  Rrs makes some amazing products overall and have great phone staff and support overall. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Rand47

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 07:15:31 pm »

Rand,
It seems the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head best fits my needs.  I am trying to decide between the RRS TVC 34L MK II and the Gitzo GT3533LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long).  Do you have any experience with Gitzo?  Thanks for your insight!
Greg

I agree with Tony, above.  I've owned and used both Gitzo and RRS in the past.  I prefer the RRS, especially the MK II versions for overall fit, finish, etc. over comparable Gitzo tripods.  But I must say that both are very well made.  If you do go with the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head, I can heartily recommend getting the clamp swapped out for a RRS lever clamp.  Two reasons.  First, lever clamp for Arca is very fiddly, IMO, and the screw in clamp has "two tiers" of jaws that I very much disliked.  Second, I think the RRS lever clamps are the best that can be had.  Easy to use and keep clean / adjusted, and VERY secure when locked.  Here's a video where a fellow is demoing his D4 head w/ the RRS clamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxQACUOTbY

There's some debate on whether you can swap the clamp out on your own.  But in an abundance of caution, I sent mine to Precision as did the presenter on this video.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Ghaag

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:22 pm »

Tony and Rand thank you both for your help.  Rand and spend what feels like way too much time making this decision, I think I want the exact setup you have.  It seems well suited for my needs.  Thanks for your help.

Two23

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »

Thanks for the reminder Kent, which tripod head do you prefer?

I use an AcraTech Ultimate ballhead.  Main reason is it won't jam in the winter.  It's also very light but strong.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up