Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitizing old medium format negatives  (Read 7128 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Digitizing old medium format negatives
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 02:52:52 pm »

The camera scan technique works very well with b&w negs.
  But not so well with color negatives where there is color crossover with the color filter array in the camera.
For color negs, the scanner is still a better option.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 10:34:30 pm »

The camera scan technique works very well with b&w negs.
  But not so well with color negatives where there is color crossover with the color filter array in the camera.
For color negs, the scanner is still a better option.

That's definitely the case with lower-end cameras. We've had no issues at all using the Phase One iXH 150mp with Capture One CH and DT Photon; really well designed CFA, great bit depth, and great color engine in the raw processing.

Cornfield

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:11 am »

A great setup for shooting negatives and transparencies can be built for a modest budget.  For me, this was around £300.

I use a very robust mount used to support a computer display monitor to a desk with VESA 100mm mount.

A homemade camera support (with VESA mount) and adjustment from 18mm hardwood painted black and a standard Arca Swiss type clamp.

On the desk I have a small lightbox built into a 12mm MDF box this is sized to allow negative carriers from a 5x4 DeVere enlarger to be dropped into the top.

The lightbox is only used for focussing and alignment as I have a flash unit mounted on the side of the lightbox with a diffusing screen.

For my Nikon Z, I bought an excellent old lens the 105mm AI f4.0 macro and the dedicated extension tube for this lens to obtain a perfect 1:1 shooting ratio.

This setup works perfectly and using a flashgun for the light eliminates any camera movement.

TSJ1927

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 11:58:50 pm »

Had an old Sinar P lying around from film days ( the "P" was purchased in 1987).  Made good use  of it as a film to digital conversion unit.  35mm to 4x5 films and Medium to 4x5 can easily be shot in sections. Strobe light source.  Currently using a Nikon 850 as the copy camera.

Here:  https://pbase.com/tojo123/image/162598014

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 01:48:26 pm »

I retained an older Mac to scan with my Coolscan 9000 using the original Nikon software.

Having also tried copying with my A7R4 and 90mm macro, I feel the 9000 is significantly superior.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Dward

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:33 pm »

I've had the same experience as D. White:  the Nikon 9000 gives me a significantly better result than using the A7RIV with either the Sony 90 or Voigtlander 65.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 04:49:18 am »

Scanning with a camera is just so much faster; If that is important.
i did 10.000 slides - try that with a flextite/ nikon 9000 scanner...
Every grain is captured using the camera- - most problematic is that the film has to be perfectly straight, and never is. In that sense the flextite wins hands down.
I would recomment f11-f13 for scanning to get everything sharp without taking hassle and  with the backlight plateau at some distance from the film to prevent dust on the plateau to be seen.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

red2

• http://
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 10:31:07 pm »

Peter Krogh (author of the DAM Book) has a video on digitizing photos. It's a bit long (more than an hour) but incorporates a lot of information and advice about digitizing film, prints, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmFjvFLPu4
The video is a B&H Photo Video production.
Worth looking at if you are just getting started with this, or if you just want to check and possibly improve your procedures.
He also has a book on the subject that can be purchased and downloaded. Lots of good information there.
Regards,
Bob D.

vulture

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »

I am using a Soligor lightbox (5000 Kelvin), a Pentacon Copy stand  and a 5D IV with a Voigtlaender 2.5/ 125 Macro. Competely satisfying digi files from 35 mm to 6x9 slides.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 07:20:00 pm »

I had an Epson V700 scanner for a while. It was good when I had a film camera to scan.
I sold it because eventually it just becomes a thing taking up space.
If you only have the occasional negative to scan I made a cardboard mask for the negative and just shoot that with a camera and macro lens with a flash behind the mask, like shooting through a window.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up