Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What less expensive paper is similar to Awagami Bizan paper?  (Read 811 times)

DavidPalermo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 126
What less expensive paper is similar to Awagami Bizan paper?
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »

Before I spend a lot of money on Awagami paper I would like to test some others that might be similar. Specifically the Awagami Bizan Natural is what I really like. Have any of you found any similar paper that is less expensive?

My goal is to perfect the print using the less expensive similar paper and then print on the Awagami Bizan paper. I suppose I can use a warm Epson or other manufacturer mat paper and hope for the best but I thought I should ask here first.

I like the Bizan 200gsm (and 300gsm)  Medium Natural paper.

Thank you!
Logged

deanwork

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2400
Re: What less expensive paper is similar to Awagami Bizan paper?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:55 am »


None of those Epson papers will even remotely resemble the Bizan. The closest thing would be one of the other Awagami sheets like the Kozo or even closer, one of the Kozo/cotton blends.

What I would do is buy a couple of the Awagami 8.5x11 sample packs and print the file on a couple of those of those, or all of those, and then print it last using the same media setting for your printer on the Bizan sample sheet.

What I did in the beginning was to do that and print the same file on all of them to compare. They all printed very similarly due to the same type of coating.

The dmax and ink limits are fairly close among the Awagami papers compared to any standard matte media or general rag papers . I believe you can download a profile from the Moab website for the Bizan and Kozo . The Moab washi papers are all Awagami. Awagami may also offer profiles I don’t know. I made my own.


Before I spend a lot of money on Awagami paper I would like to test some others that might be similar. Specifically the Awagami Bizan Natural is what I really like. Have any of you found any similar paper that is less expensive?

My goal is to perfect the print using the less expensive similar paper and then print on the Awagami Bizan paper. I suppose I can use a warm Epson or other manufacturer mat paper and hope for the best but I thought I should ask here first.

I like the Bizan 200gsm (and 300gsm)  Medium Natural paper.

Thank you!
Logged

DavidPalermo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 126
Re: What less expensive paper is similar to Awagami Bizan paper?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:43:35 pm »

Yes that is what I’ll do! Thank you.

David
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up