Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you store large, mounted prints?  (Read 474 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
How do you store large, mounted prints?
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:07 am »

I plan to have some 24 images printed in 90x120 cm size (35x47 inches) and then mounted on Dibond, backed with an aluminum frame for keeping them plane. They will weigh about 5 kg the piece (11 US pounds). I will have them wrapped each in its own folder (s.k. "Rahmenkarton", frame cardboard.)

My idea so far has been to have my carpenter custom make some shelf modules 15 cm high (6 inches) and store 3 images per shelf. Ideally, it should be 1 image per shelf, because I will need to move 1-2 to get out the lower one(s).

Anybody got a better idea? I have not been able to find a ready-made solution. (Based in NE Germany.)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: How do you store large, mounted prints?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:29:57 am »

Some years ago I printed about 40 images 84x111 cm that were mounted like you described.  For an exhibition. For shipping and storing the artist had boxes made in plywood that had 6mm slits in the walls where two of them slided in, printfaces with good protection paper in between to one another. Thin plastic profile around the edges of the two pieces. I think 2 boxes in total prints vertically stored and shipped. The idea was to insert and take out the two together so no surfaces to scratch on one another.  I have not seen the boxes afterwards so can not tell whether it was a good idea.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:37:30 pm »

The first picture rack I made was from a baby's play pen. I joined two opposite sides with a wooden framework to hold them about 600mm apart.
This then evolved to my current stand which is made from two panels of pool fencing. I just glued velvet to the bottom rails to stop abrasion. The type that you glue to the bottom of furniture legs to stop them damaging timber floors. I think that it is better to have the pictures vertical as you can see them individually and store both framed and matted images.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:55:17 pm »

Thank you both for your replies! - Hening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up