Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: from the front page: adam krawesky  (Read 19669 times)

rabanito

Re: from the front page: adam krawesky
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2019, 04:57:20 am »

If you want to stick to your guns and say "photography absolutely includes printing" you're welcome to do that. It's not exactly a mainstream usage of the word, though.

As you well point out elsewhere, we write for a specific audience (myself of course at a much humbler level).
In my case what I perceive the public of LuLa to be.
Let mainstream be mainstream  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:04:23 am by rabanito »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2019, 06:59:22 am »

With a background as a painter, illustrator and photographer I've always thought of photography as simply another creative medium. Using the various photographic processes, still and motion, can produce anything from mind numbing dross to life affirming, life changing works. The resulting dross and works have done more to shape the world in which we live today than all the rest of the creative mediums combined.

If writers, curators, critics, and even those here on LuLa who may or may not see themselves allied to, or in some way aligned to those professions, believe that dismissing the photographic processes as secondary to other creative mediums is valid and that photography is but a secondary art form then that is their subjective opinion and they are entitled to their view, as are we all.

Most pics and videos are not life affirming or life changing works, but this is not the fault of the medium.

The above is my subjective opinion, for what it is worth.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:14:17 am by KLaban »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:48 am »

Tripping the shutter is the easy part, and if common parlance decides the act of photography to mean tripping a shutter, then there is some validity here. The hard part of course, is to have the camera pointing at something interesting when tripping the shutter. That interesting bit may be preconceived and by design, or on the street. Neither is easy, imo.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:33 am »

Tripping the shutter is the easy part, and if common parlance decides the act of photography to mean tripping a shutter, then there is some validity here. The hard part of course, is to have the camera pointing at something interesting when tripping the shutter. That interesting bit may be preconceived and by design, or on the street. Neither is easy, imo.

That's not hard to accept, but also easy to deny. A paradox, then.

When I make a photo that pleases me, or that I just want to make, I hardly think of it as being something hard to do, in the sense of difficult. It just comes together, mostly as something that Sarah Moon calls the unexpected gift, often as an alternative to one's own original idea, or even direction.

Photography, when done for yourself and not involving many lights etc. is bloody simple: it just happens that day, or it does not. When it does not, you go home and hope for something to happen the next time. Hardly hard to do... patience is the main external quality.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2019, 07:38:46 am »

When I make a photo that pleases me, or that I just want to make, I hardly think of it as being something hard to do, in the sense of difficult. It just comes together, mostly as something that Sarah Moon calls the unexpected gift, often as an alternative to one's own original idea, or even direction.

Photography, when done for yourself and not involving many lights etc. is bloody simple: it just happens that day, or it does not. When it does not, you go home and hope for something to happen the next time. Hardly hard to do... patience is the main external quality.

If you're the sole reference for "interesting", I'd agree. Additionally, since you've been a professional photographer, it will be a lot easier for you to naturally find a more universal form of interesting, and intuitively knowing how to capture it.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:51 am »

I should add that I don't accept the making of something argument, the producing of an object: I see that as craft.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:06:26 am by KLaban »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:59 am »

Quoting Martin:
[When I saw the photographs by Adam Krawesky they immediately resonated with me. To me has has perfectly described the manicured, freshly painted pristine city environment I experienced when I lived in North America. The well dressed people with space all around them, no one selling roasted chicken feet on the side of the road, no piles of rotting vegetables, no hordes of people. Also no threatening environment, no danger but also no life, no fizz. A sense of alienation, a surreal disconnectedness. Cold and unwelcoming, lonely. The man stepping onto the road in a clearly demarcated crossing area even with no one around. Never see that where I live. Here people run across 5 lane freeways dodging cars doing 120KM/H, frequently resulting in spectacular accidents.

My point to all this is I got a lot from this article. It has made me look at where I live and how wild it can actually get.

Made me wonder how I could portray all that

. Most importantly Adam has pointed out to me what I felt living in North America. When I saw the images my reaction was, "Yes, like that".]

Out of chaos, Martin, you have discovered peace of awareness. The speed at which we travel today too easily masks the speed at which the curve of earth we all inhabit moves us in unison. From the flat earth under our personal feet a deeper vision from beyond the curve seems to open ever more rarely. Savour your ability and willingness to be open to that peace of chaos.
Lumine!

( It is all too easy to not even be aware that our driver, having deposited us within the gated , lushly planted, landscaped, and irrigated confines of our known place of habitation,  has at the very same time stripped us of the ability to see the rusting, metal sheets of roofing just outside and below the walls of our view, disguising the true curve of place and life. )

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Martin~
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:37:56 am by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2019, 08:43:02 am »

Thank you Patricia. I really believe you understood what I was trying to say.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2019, 08:54:55 am »

Thank you,Martin. That is a very interesting take!

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2019, 08:57:45 am »

I disagree Rob. Personal work can be very difficult. But our definition of “personal” may be different.

KLaban

« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:45 am »

I disagree Rob. Personal work can be very difficult. But our definition of “personal” may be different.

I've often found personal work  far more difficult than commissioned work or other work that had the sole purpose of earning a buck. Could be that I cared more about the personal stuff.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:35:56 pm by KLaban »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:42 am »

When I lived in North America I was discomforted by the sterility and groomed appearance of the environment. Where I live is chaos, litter everywhere, abandoned and hijacked buildings, no one follows road rules, people range from being dressed in filthy rags to designer clothes, frequently all mixed up together. I have no desire to enter into a debate about how there are poor areas all over the world. The environment in Europe and North America is fundamentally different to where I live, trust me on this.

This is unrelated to the rest of this thread, for which I apologize to the group, but I thought you might be entertained by this: https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_dissects_suburbia.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:12 pm »

I've often found personal work far more difficult than commissioned work or other work that had the sole purpose of earning a buck. Could be that I cared more about the personal stuff.

Interesting; my personal work, back then, was my professional work. I have several times mentioned here my early (thank God!) Damascene moment on wet church steps when I said enough, already (I like Woody Allen a lot)! either you do what took you to this goddam business or you quit and keep your sanity and self-respect.

From then on in, pro equated with personal; didn't make me as rich as a high-class camera hooker, but I did, overall, have a helluva good time from it.

Quite why anyone in the arts (I think I currently believe applied photography may be an art, if only because of the required art of making a living with it) will put up with all the shit that blows into their face from day to day unless they love what they get to do, is totally beyond me; that sort of self-defeating form of self-deception and self-sacrifice smacks of madness.

But as my wife sometimes said, how can we judge the sanity or otherwise of our own minds?

Rob C

« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 01:39:52 pm »

This is unrelated to the rest of this thread, for which I apologize to the group, but I thought you might be entertained by this: https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_dissects_suburbia.

That was a good video to watch; trouble is, in harking back to what I suppose is an essentially old European ideal, it doesn't take into account the huge rise in population figures. Those lovely old city layouts exist all right, but are so expensive in many cities that only wealthy foreigners seem capable of buying up the habitable slots as they come to market.

Paris, London, you name it - there has to be the largely dormitory sprawl outwith the classical central areas to provide space for living. That leads to the next problem, which is that of transport costs for those unable to afford city space but obliged to go there in order to earn their daily bread. Even where suburbs were already extant in the form of older villages outwith the original metropolis, replete with their own shops and other normally essential services, those same services have been constantly eroded and forced out due to competition for space and the rise of larger marketing outlets that exist (for now) because of their ability to strong-arm farmers and other small people into selling them their produce at stupidly low prices.

A quick look at today's business news shows that some of those mega chains are no longer doing all that well; some also run an online presence, but it fails to maintain the profit level, creating, in fact, its own form of internecine warfare.

Were everyone paid so much more than it costs them to live, everything would be different, but that might actually mean the desirable places becoming even more exclusively priced than less.

Basically, we have made too many copies of ourselves without figuring out, first, how we are going to keep ourselves alive.

KLaban

« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 02:29:58 pm »

Interesting; my personal work, back then, was my professional work. I have several times mentioned here my early (thank God!) Damascene moment on wet church steps when I said enough, already (I like Woody Allen a lot)! either you do what took you to this goddam business or you quit and keep your sanity and self-respect.

From then on in, pro equated with personal; didn't make me as rich as a high-class camera hooker, but I did, overall, have a helluva good time from it.

Quite why anyone in the arts (I think I currently believe applied photography may be an art, if only because of the required art of making a living with it) will put up with all the shit that blows into their face from day to day unless they love what they get to do, is totally beyond me; that sort of self-defeating form of self-deception and self-sacrifice smacks of madness.

But as my wife sometimes said, how can we judge the sanity or otherwise of our own minds?

As Omer said "our definition of “personal” may be different".

Rob C

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2019, 04:50:13 am »

As Omer said "our definition of “personal” may be different".

I didn't think that, in the context of work vs self-motivated stuff, personal meant anything but stuff done because one wanted to do it regardless of getting paid to do it or not.

;-(

KLaban

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2019, 05:40:51 am »

I didn't think that, in the context of work vs self-motivated stuff, personal meant anything but stuff done because one wanted to do it regardless of getting paid to do it or not.

;-(

As Omer said...

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2019, 09:18:02 am »

As Omer said...

;-)

Fair enough, but he doesn't offer anything that shows what such differences can be other than those that exist simply between commissioned and self-motivated work. Stuff is either done because you enjoy doing it - the personal, or stuff that you do because it feeds you. In some cases, such as I eventually managed to procure for myself, the two combine. What other scenario is there?

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:06 am »

Fair enough, but he doesn't offer anything that shows what such differences can be other than those that exist simply between commissioned and self-motivated work. Stuff is either done because you enjoy doing it - the personal, or stuff that you do because it feeds you. In some cases, such as I eventually managed to procure for myself, the two combine. What other scenario is there?

Rob

There is that stuff dat you do, just because you’re beloved one asks you to do.

KLaban

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2019, 09:36:19 am »

Rob

I think of personal artworks as those that are in the sole command of the individual creating those artworks and commissioned artworks as those artworks that are partially or wholly in the command of and for others.

One is not better than the other, just different.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up