Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: from the front page: adam krawesky  (Read 19676 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: from the front page: adam krawesky
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 09:56:37 pm »

He does have my initials on the other hand. :)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 10:17:43 pm »

His pictures all seem planned, not off the cuff.  That wouldn't be so bad for one or two shots.  But it seems his style is to frame a great composition first with great lighting and then wait for the people to walk through.  It becomes sterile after a while because it's not about the people or their feelings or "the condition of man" but rather the composition.

No! It works like this: https://petapixel.com/2018/09/13/the-essence-of-the-street-photographer/

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:17 pm »

But surely freakish children are not the whole truth about children? Both artists have expanded our understanding of children, but reducing art to freaks and “complicated, difficult, and serious” is rather extreme.

P.S. Did I just use Oxford comma when you didn’t? ;)

Helen Levitt. Beautiful work without being sentimental.

...Diane, Sally, and Helen!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 12:13:26 am »

No! It works like this: https://petapixel.com/2018/09/13/the-essence-of-the-street-photographer/

Exactly my point. That link as well as Krawesky are about the composition and lighting rather than the people and emotions.  No feelings in that. No feelings is OK for some street photography, but not a constant diet.

Ivophoto

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2019, 05:17:02 am »

Are you the author, Andrew?

Do you photograph 2 years? And is this the equivalent of ‘experienced photographer’ ? I probably misunderstood it...

rabanito

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2019, 05:26:29 am »

[quote author=Martin Kristiansen
How about we look at the work of others and rather ask, what is this person trying to say. How do they see things. Could I perhaps learn something, add something to my visual vocabulary?
[/quote]
Hey I like that!

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:16 am »

Are you the author, Andrew?

Do you photograph 2 years? And is this the equivalent of ‘experienced photographer’ ? I probably misunderstood it...

Exactly my point. That link as well as Krawesky are about the composition and lighting rather than the people and emotions.  No feelings in that. No feelings is OK for some street photography, but not a constant diet.

Guys, the PetaPixel article is a joke, Andrew’s attempt at humor.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:00 am »

I have been at this a little longer than two years, I am not and never have been a professional photographer, and I do not own an absurd medium format camera.

faberryman

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:16 am »

If you read the About the Author, you will see that the Petapixel article was intended as satire. I don't think it rose to that level. I thought it was just drivel, like most Petapixel articles.

Ivophoto

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:31 am »

I have been at this a little longer than two years, I am not and never have been a professional photographer, and I do not own an absurd medium format camera.

You got me, Andrew, for sure.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2019, 08:55:15 am »

The point is that it is the standard conceit of your basic hipster street photographer that he (always he) simply walks, observing, seeing, and in that decisive moment raises the camera to his eye and shoots BAM, but the reality is that they all set up across the street from someplace with a good railing, a good shadow, a good bit of graffiti, a good sign, and they wait while people walk through the frame.

ETA: And once you get the hang of it, you can stamp these things out like cookies all day long. It is almost mind-bogglingly boring work, though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:06:21 am by amolitor »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57:18 am »

It isn't my intention to fool anyone, to be honest. It is startling the number of native english speakers who treat it as serious, and to be savagely blunt, I have exactly zero sympathy for them. They simply can't be bothered to read it with the slightest care.

People for whom english is a second language, well, I am sorry! But humor always has trouble across language barriers, and while I sympathize, I see no way to help it.

Ivophoto

from the front page: adam krawesky
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2019, 09:08:22 am »

The point is that it is the standard conceit of your basic hipster street photographer that he (always he) simply walks, observing, seeing, and in that decisive moment raises the camera to his eye and shoots BAM, but the reality is that they all set up across the street from someplace with a good railing, a good shadow, a good bit of graffiti, a good sign, and they wait while people walk through the frame.

Ok, fair enough. Only, I don’t get your irritation of the so called ‘hipster’ photographers.
You are probably right about the process, but so what?

I could go even further in purifying this photographic process and bring those situations in a studio. Does that pull down the result? Should all photography be the result of difficult hunting. Why can it not be the fruit of careful preparation?
For myself, I beware for this kind of intellectual obligations.

Maybe you want to check Erwin Olaf

https://www.erwinolaf.com

(I know it isn’t street in the broadest sense)

Rob C

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2019, 09:10:32 am »

His pictures all seem planned, not off the cuff.  That wouldn't be so bad for one or two shots.  But it seems his style is to frame a great composition first with great lighting and then wait for the people to walk through.  It becomes sterile after a while because it's not about the people or their feelings or "the condition of man" but rather the composition.

It's the very technique that HC-B recommended.

However, you had to be he, Doisneau or Ronis to pull it off.

If I tried that, you could guarantee that nobody would walk past that shop and I'd ruin their business. Just this morning I went to the new Italian shop to buy my gnocchi for the week, and the place was closed. I'm sure it was open last Monday; what have I done? I'll try again tomorrow and hope somebody just had a cold.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:32 am »

Oh, I don't care how anyone takes pictures. There are two problems with the standard hipster "street tog" story.

1. It's untrue, and an untruth designed to make the work seem more important.
2. The truth is that cranking the material out is easy, as long as you ignore the fantastical story the man tells.

Since it is easy, and similar work is cranked out by legions of people across the globe using the same methods, this leads us back around to my earlier rhetorical question:  "What does it mean when a body of work consists of pictures of a sort that are easily, and are commonly, knocked out by anyone with a modicum of technical ability and patience?"

I have an answer to this question, I think, but it is quite long, complex, and I don't think it's well suited to a forum discussion. I do think it's an important question of photography, though, and one it's worth pondering for oneself.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2019, 09:14:44 am »

You do realise that you're the one consuming the images, no?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:40 am »

ETA: And once you get the hang of it, you can stamp these things out like cookies all day long. It is almost mind-bogglingly boring work, though.

Perhaps that's why he stopped doing it. I'll readilly admit that he seems to have favorite spots where he "waits it out", and that does indeed result in boring work eventually. But there are enough images in the article alone that transcend that type of boring and most certainly will not be churned out by any average hipster.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:51 am »

Oh, I don't care how anyone takes pictures. There are two problems with the standard hipster "street tog" story.

1. It's untrue, and an untruth designed to make the work seem more important.
2. The truth is that cranking the material out is easy, as long as you ignore the fantastical story the man tells.

Since it is easy, and similar work is cranked out by legions of people across the globe using the same methods, this leads us back around to my earlier rhetorical question:  "What does it mean when a body of work consists of pictures of a sort that are easily, and are commonly, knocked out by anyone with a modicum of technical ability and patience?"

I have an answer to this question, I think, but it is quite long, complex, and I don't think it's well suited to a forum discussion. I do think it's an important question of photography, though, and one it's worth pondering for oneself.

You seem rather incessant (incessive?) for someone who doesn't care. While you raise a mildly interesting point, the hipstastreettog thingy seems to simply be one of the techniques used by this artist. He doesn't seem to base his entire body of work on it.

And if you really feel this issue is important enough to be discussed, why not open a new thread specifically for this question? This forum could use lengthy but engaging discourse imo.
Regards,
~ O ~

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:47 am »

You seem rather incessant (incessive?) for someone who doesn't care. While you raise a mildly interesting point, the hipstastreettog thingy seems to simply be one of the techniques used by this artist. He doesn't seem to base his entire body of work on it.

And if you really feel this issue is important enough to be discussed, why not open a new thread specifically for this question? This forum could use lengthy but engaging discourse imo.

Oh please, no! Hipsters or whoever they are have become the token targets of disdain by frustrated photographers. Do we really need a thread in which to indulge in pettiness?

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:09 am »

It's possible that I care about some things and not about others, and that my dozens and dozens of tedious words are actually about the things I care about. If only there was some way of determining which things I cared about and which I do not. Some sort of mode of communication, perhaps.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up