Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gotham City  (Read 1401 times)

p2images

• P2 Images
Gotham City
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:35:31 am »

I was surprised to be able to see art work in windows from over a mile away in this photo that consist of 8 vertical 36MP photos from Weehawken NJ.
Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Gotham City
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:05:57 am »

Terrific shot

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:23:07 am »

Thanks Mike!
Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:55:09 am »

Very well done.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:44:02 am »

indeed -very well done and good timing!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:57:04 am »

Thank you.. this makes a great image for 2 x 4 K monitors background
Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

praja343

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:16 am »

Very impressive and very well done.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:07:52 am »

The image is too tightly cropped at the top and bottom. You also have blown highlights. I assume you have bracketed shots, so it shouldn't be too difficult to recover them, manually if needed. Or you could have shot it a few minutes earlier, when the mother nature would take care of that.

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:07 am »

Thanks Slobodon I made some edits before posting here in the interest of sizing but the image wasn't clipping at all in Lightroom. The full sized image is 1.4GB and unfortunately when I reduced it to a jpeg it picked up quite a bit of noise.
Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:41:20 am »

A bit more space above and below helps.

You should also correct verticals, though they are off just a tad. The blown highlights are certain neon signs that are visually blown, no matter what LR thinks. Global highlight control doesn’t help in such cases, you have to paint it in from bracketed shots manually. Also, reducing the size usually reduces the noise, not the opposite.

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:55 am »

A bit more space above and below helps.

You should also correct verticals, though they are off just a tad. The blown highlights are certain neon signs that are visually blown, no matter what LR thinks. Global highlight control doesn’t help in such cases, you have to paint it in from bracketed shots manually. Also, reducing the size usually reduces the noise, not the opposite.

Agreed, I need to learn a way to correct the verticals at various parts of the image.. it's not easy and is often an issue with large panorama.
Regarding the hilights, this is also something I am going to have to look at more closely. There must be a way to select an area and check the histogram per a selection.
Regarding your last point. I misspoke, pixelation and jpeg artifacts that occur when reducing a 7 foot wide print to the size required to meet the posting requirement here. This image went from 1.3GB to 4MB When viewing the image here you loose tons of resolution and if you zoom in you see major pixelation and jpeg artifacts.

Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:16 pm »

Great set of exposures creating a very compelling pano, but I agree with Slobodan about the ‘cropping’ or rather tight composition. Is there any chance you made a series with more at the top and bottom?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 03:58:05 pm »

Agreed, I need to learn a way to correct the verticals at various parts of the image.. it's not easy and is often an issue with large panorama.

When shooting panos in either horizontal or vertical plane formats (as discussed elsewhere on this forum several weeks ago), I begin by shooting a frame to the left of the detail I want in the final pano image and then a frame to the right past the detail I want in the final pano image. This way in the final cropped version of the pano, I know all the verticals will be correct, due to each part of the pano being used, having been shot through the non distorting centre part of the lens.

Hope this helps and a terrific shot by the way  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:01:45 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 08:17:54 pm »

When shooting panos in either horizontal or vertical plane formats (as discussed elsewhere on this forum several weeks ago), I begin by shooting a frame to the left of the detail I want in the final pano image and then a frame to the right past the detail I want in the final pano image. This way in the final cropped version of the pano, I know all the verticals will be correct, due to each part of the pano being used, having been shot through the non distorting centre part of the lens.

Hope this helps and a terrific shot by the way  ;)

Dave

Thank you Dave, I will keep your excellent suggestions in mind.. That being said I haven't seen a pano that even comes close to this one. Cropping out more reduces the detail of the scene, and let's not forget that there's water and currents involved. It's just about impossible to stitch together the movement of the Hudson river.  I shot this with 9 vertical frames at 36MP each and there wasn't any more room from top to bottom with the lens I carried with me at this sketchy location in New Jersey.

Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

sarrasani

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 07:08:36 am »

I hope you will not print this one in 4X5 inches..... :)
All the best,
sandro
Film cameras (13X18, 2,4X3,6), digital-foveon and digital-mosaic cameras.
Only manual focus lenses.

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 11:03:16 am »

I hope you will not print this one in 4X5 inches..... :)
All the best,
sandro

That's funny.. someone recently bought a license of the image from me for $350.00 US so he could print it 4' x 8' he failed miserably trying to get the colors and saturation right for canvas. I think this one needs the epoxy treatment.

Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

KMRennie

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 03:54:36 pm »

Stephen I am assuming you are using a D810 and if so it is easy to check for small areas of blown highlights or blocked shadows. Review the image using the RGBhistogram screen, press the multi-selector centre button, this zoom you in to 100% and keeps the RGB histogram, you can now move around the entire image checking the RGB levels of small sections of your image, you can even zoom in further to check even smaller areas but I have never found this necessary . Doing this detect blown highlights that do not appear on the RGB highlights screen or the hitogram in live view. I agree that stitching moving water is difficult although at this shutter speed it should be possible. Just to satisfy my curiosity I think that you have used a 135mm lens, am I close? A rough calculation tells me that you have approx 4 pixels per linear foot so am not surprised that you can see artwork on walls as a 3ft by 2ft painting would be 12px by 8px. Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up