Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Size  (Read 832 times)

hea7

File Size
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »

I am having issues with PS file sizes. I do compositing, however, I do not have that many layers yet the file size is over 4GB when the file size on the image says 1.2GB and the file will not save to Lightroom. An issue Adobe needs to fix.

I generally do not use Smart Objects and try to limit my merged layers to one.

Attached is a file that PS will not save as it is over 4GB yet I have no smart objects, one merged layer, and the other layers just adjustment layers.

Please offer any suggestions.Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.49.56 PM.png

kirkt

Re: File Size
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:04:15 pm »

The original background layer looks like it is already quite large (325MB) due to pixel dimensions and being a 16bit per channel file.  Even though you make adjustment layers or small retouches on otherwise transparent layers, as soon as you add a mask to the layer and paint on it, you will increase file size above and beyond the content of the layer you are masking.  Did you try to save the file to disk and check the actual file size?

Why it can't save back to LR I have no idea - this is not what Lightroom was intended for anyway.  You would probably be better off saving the PSD as a PSB and then saving a flattened copy (as a TIFF, for example) to continue working on in Lightroom, if that is your need.  You can also access pretty much all of the editing capability for a non-raw file that Lightroom offers by using the Camera Raw controls from the filter menu in PS, if you need Lightroom's sliders to continuing editing your converted (ie, and RGB [non-raw]) retouched file.

Kirk

rasworth

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »

That's not file size, it's pixel size - first number is pixels for flattened image and second un-flattened.  In 16 bit world assume 6 bytes per pixel.

Richard Southworth

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:34 pm »

Anything being saved in Channels? Masks etc.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 05:30:47 am »

That's not file size, it's pixel size - first number is pixels for flattened image and second un-flattened.  In 16 bit world assume 6 bytes per pixel.

Richard Southworth
Are you sure of that?

My understanding of the Doc: section in the Info panel is that the left hand number represents an approximation of the saved file size of a flattened image in psd format while the right number indicates the approximate saved file size including layers
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:51:26 am by TonyW »

rasworth

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:54:42 am »

Yes I'm sure the numbers represent pixels, easy enough to test.  No way to estimate actual file size at that point in processing because file format not known, jpg or tiff,  etc.  The 6 bytes per pixel is a pessimistic estimate for a tiff or psd, because some degree of lossless compression will be present.

Added by edit:  Oops, fooled myself with a highly compressed file, doc: status does attempt to represent file size, not pixels.

Richard Southworth
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:02:06 am by rasworth »

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:29:13 am »

No, I believe the numbers represent actual file size - a quick test appears to confirm this

NEF raw file reported as 44.9 MB (16 Bit), Windows 10 - Open in PS reports 206.9 MB for image size

Saved file without adding layers as psd file size 206 MB reported by Windows

Added layers and saved as TIFF (no compression) 1.01 GB reported in Info Panel actual saved file size = 1.65 GB compressed LZW or 1.50 Zip compression.

I suspect that the assumption made by Adobe for the info panel  is that the file will be saved as a psd

Still, this is academic as the OP not really answered. 
I am fairly certain that the file size reported by PS of 1.2+ GB is correct and at least in theory should be close to that on saving (the OP original screenshot seems to indicate more layers (merged) than he thinks?).  There is no way that I can see that this file should reach 4 GB at least working in 16 bit.

Is it possible that the Image Mode has been set at 32 bits as that would double the size at least?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:47:34 am by TonyW »

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 09:20:25 pm »

I am not sure I know what is going on here.  But what I do when the file size gets really big is split into 2 or more files.  Flattening the first few layers if I am fairly certain they would be no more changes, saving as _1.  Then _2 will be _1 plus more layers and so on.  This way you would also know where the culprit is.  I do it that way more for ease of file handling on my PC than the file size restriction, which I have not come close to yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up