Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drain cleaners?  (Read 1792 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Drain cleaners?
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:56:44 am »

I know that Lula depends on ads to keep going, and that's fine. The relevant ads for equipment, photo tours, and the like can sometimes be useful. But today I was greeted by an ad for drain cleaner and another for insurance. Really?

JoshReichmann

Re: Drain cleaners?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:38:40 am »

This will be remedied. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Nothing to do with new site direction/management. Old algorithms.
Appreciated
Josh

Two23

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:14 am »

I think the chemicals I pour down my drain after film processing keep my drain clean enough.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »

I think the chemicals I pour down my drain after film processing keep my drain clean enough.

Kent in SD

That became an official offence in the UK during, I think, the 70s, and you were supposed to collect and take to a silver recovery place. I never knew where such a place was, and doubt anyone else in Scotland did either, though that might just be extrapolation of self.

:-)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:34:36 pm »

Kent in SD
Only the acetic acid in the stop bath is likely to work as a drain cleaner.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Cibachrome bleach-fix
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:44:06 pm »

In the day, meaning a long time ago, when I did Cibachrome in the darkroom, one had to neutralize the bleach-fix BEFORE pouring it down the drain. That was in an era of lesser environmental regulations. I shudder to think what was in that stuff, both before and after. It may have been an effective, if toxic, drain cleaner

Rob C

Re: Cibachrome bleach-fix
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:52:36 pm »

In the day, meaning a long time ago, when I did Cibachrome in the darkroom, one had to neutralize the bleach-fix BEFORE pouring it down the drain. That was in an era of lesser environmental regulations. I shudder to think what was in that stuff, both before and after. It may have been an effective, if toxic, drain cleaner

God, you're right! I'd forgotten all about that process - didn't have to go there very often, though.

Rob

P.S.

Toxic: according to a local newspaper here in Mallorca, Ultima Hora, toxic has been pronounced the word of the year (2018) by some dictionary or the other than indulges in these conceits.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:00:47 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:58 pm »

I've mentioned elsewhere here recently that, c. 2002, spent Rodinal ate a hole in the piping beneath my basement sink. This was after a couple years of on-again/off-again home development.

-Dave-

tsjanik

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 09:06:31 am »

Ah, memories; I used P-3 chemistry in my parents' basement during the '70s.  The bleach was mostly sulfuric acid, which is an effective drain cleaner, it's also effective at dissolving metal pipes :)

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/ilford/P3_BLEACH-A.PDF

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »

Ah, memories; I used P-3 chemistry in my parents' basement during the '70s.  The bleach was mostly sulfuric acid, which is an effective drain cleaner, it's also effective at dissolving metal pipes :)

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/ilford/P3_BLEACH-A.PDF

A late friend was an engineer, moving from contract to contract, usually to do with airframe maintenance.

Apparently, he old me over lunch one day, the most deterioration one finds in aircraft takes place around the toilets, where those who stand and dribble really should swallow their pride and just do the right thing and sit down.

Whoda thunk, such power in your bladder!

Rob

Two23

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 11:23:35 pm »

Apparently, he old me over lunch one day, the most deterioration one finds in aircraft takes place around the toilets, where those who stand and dribble really should swallow their pride and just do the right thing and sit down.

If the hose is short or the pressure weak,
Stand up close or you'll hit your feet.

(The bathroom poet)

Kent in SD,
poetry lover
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up