Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200-profiles  (Read 974 times)

Larry451

Z3200-profiles
« on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:29 am »

finally got the mac to talk to the Z3200... thanks to all.   Made a profile for moab Lasal and tested it against my epson canned profile from moab...   The Z3200 had more detail in the deep shadows and overall seemed a  little "cleaner".  this is not scientific or a knock against epson ( I've had many) just my own personal view justifying my latest purchase.
regards
Larry.

John Nollendorfs

Re: Z3200-profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:37:51 am »

Larry:
A custom profile will generally be better, vs a generic one. The cleaner look you note, might be due to HP's use of under color removal of neutrals and  substituting of HP's grays. I have always found that HP's  prints seem to have a more "neutral" cleaner flavor. Enjoy the new printer! Not everyone can buy a automated professional profiling device for half price, and have a quality printer thrown in for no additional cost! ;-)

Larry451

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:47:41 am »

exactly,   being able to profile  different papers/companies is certainly a bonus + a 44 inch printer for the price of a 24"
I now can experiment more with paper and feel confident.
arches watercolour uncoated is one;  22x30 with the decaled edge
regards
Larry.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:53:30 pm »

Deckel edge sheets might present a feeding problem on the z3200. It is a finiky machine to sheet feed, especially if the edges aren't square cut.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:06:37 am »

Turn skew check off from the front printer menu and you can print any shape, but make damn sure the edges are not too frayed and curled or you could end up with a scary paper jam. Been there. I almost damaged my printer trying to get it out. If you end up with a jam be very careful removing the jammed paper or you can wreck the carriage area. Turning off skew check does slow the printer down for some reason but it works. I can’t print uneven papers on my Canon and Epsons.. But the z can profile and linearize all the strange hand made papers that are uncoated. When you do your linearization if the last dark patch is not the darkest patch you can actually back off the ink limits when making the custom media setting before linearizing.

I now flatten my alternative papers like this in a dry mount press. If you can’t keep them flat you can tape them to another sheet or section of a roll,  with drafting tape that can be removed. You need to make a custom media setting and raise the star wheel assembly for the thickness  then profile it and use for similar papers in the future.

exactly,   being able to profile  different papers/companies is certainly a bonus + a 44 inch printer for the price of a 24"
I now can experiment more with paper and feel confident.
arches watercolour uncoated is one;  22x30 with the decaled edge
regards
Larry.

Larry451

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:01 pm »

thanks deanwork;    I've used this arches paper with the epson 7000 & 7600 without too much problem.   Just printing some canvas right now and yes the Z3200 is very precise when it comes to loading sheets or rolls.   I'm having trouble getting it to "auto cut" ?  printer utility says cutter is ON  but it won't cut.?
regards
Larry.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »

Larry:
Do youi have cutting enabled in the printer front panel utility in the set up  option>>print retrieval>>enable cutter?

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:32:50 pm »

Do you guys cut canvas with the little Z cutter? I never have. I always pull it down and trim with scissors. Did some today. I’ve been doing some really nice canvas stuff month week on the Z.

John

quote author=John Nollendorfs link=topic=128267.msg1085999#msg1085999 date=1546113913]
Larry:
Do youi have cutting enabled in the printer front panel utility in the set up  option>>print retrieval>>enable cutter?
[/quote]

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:41:11 pm »

John
It is not recommended to use the cutter for canvas. It is disabled when canvas media is loaded.

I pull the canvas out to the desired length to the front edge of the printer and use a box cutter starting at the left edge using the front edge of the printer as a guide.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Larry451

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 10:21:10 am »

Morning    I ran a profile on epson ultra smooth roll this morning.   the cutter worked perfectly.   So with canvas use a box cutter like John.
thanks-all

regards
Larry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up