Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Here is a Photographic Puzzle for you all...  (Read 5008 times)

Ivophoto

Re: Here is a Photographic Puzzle for you all...
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 10:18:05 am »

You certainly are waisting mine.
You are waisting your own time. You are looking blind in a fake problem.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2018, 10:33:45 am »

The puzzle was explained back on p. 1 in reply No. 19. You are NOT seeing the inside of the boat. It's not an illusion.

But if you enjoyed that discussion then you'll like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmclzXff7o.
--
Robert

rabanito

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 10:36:24 am »

I took this shot a few years ago and never thought too much about it after I'd finished working on it, but then the other day when I was reviewing some old files, I came across it once again and it started to make me think, how is that possible?

Misteries of Scotland.
While I was looking at the picture there appeared that creature from the right side.WITHOUT ANY REFLECTION!!!

Maybe my Knockando Single Malt 12 Years was bending the rays from the Sun?  ;D ;D

Ivophoto

Here is a Photographic Puzzle for you all...
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2018, 10:48:53 am »

The puzzle was explained back on p. 1 in reply No. 19. You are NOT seeing the inside of the boat. It's not an illusion.

But if you enjoyed that discussion then you'll like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmclzXff7o.

Tx Robert.

Mid while I was wasting Slobodan time with this sketch, attempting to make it more clear.

(Let’s keep it friendly, Slobo. I like you, ....)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:52:25 am by Ivophoto »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2018, 12:15:09 pm »

... (Let’s keep it friendly...

How about a friendly explanation for the drawing? No diagram is worth anything without a legend. What are we looking at here? What is the solid red line and what is the dotted one? In which direction the lines go? Left to right or the opposite?

Are you saying that the reflection is formed by the light traveling from point A (intersection of the solid red line and the blue one) to the left, toward our eyes, and, upon hitting the water surface, is refracted backwards, this time left to right, until it forms the point B (intersection of the dotted red line and the blue one)?

In other words, the reflection is not formed in a vertical fashion, i.e., light traveling in a straight, vertical line between points A and B?

Ivophoto

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »

How about a friendly explanation for the drawing? No diagram is worth anything without a legend. What are we looking at here? What is the solid red line and what is the dotted one? In which direction the lines go? Left to right or the opposite?

Are you saying that the reflection is formed by the light traveling from point A (intersection of the solid red line and the blue one) to the left, toward our eyes, and, upon hitting the water surface, is refracted backwards, this time left to right, until it forms the point B (intersection of the dotted red line and the blue one)?

In other words, the reflection is not formed in a vertical fashion, i.e., light traveling in a straight, vertical line between points A and B?
Almost Exact, Slobodan.

The reflection is not following the path of your arrows, it doesn’t work like that.

Consider this: (On the left you have the viewers eye)

Point A is reflected in point C to the viewers eye. The viewer see it in the imaginary spot B. This is the law of reflection. Same as the imaginary image in a mirror is behind the mirror. It’s a bit quirky because here the mirror is horizontal. But same law applies.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/25-2-the-law-of-reflection/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:42:51 pm by Ivophoto »

Ivophoto

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2018, 12:31:36 pm »

And look at the additional lines in this:

Other point of view, higher position, and you will not see the boat tip in the reflection.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2018, 12:46:20 pm »

It was explained in answer #2, but apparently it didn't sink in.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2018, 12:51:38 pm »

It was explained in answer #2, but apparently it didn't sink in.

I am a photographer, hence prefer a visual explanation :)

Ivophoto

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »

Time for a cigar?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2018, 01:08:45 pm »

I haven't studied physics since I was 16, an awfully long time ago, but I confess that I am astonished at the heavy weather being made of this subject!

The diagram posted is very similar to the one I was about to post, which is attached. The light travels from the blob at the prow of the boat, is reflected off the water and reaches the eye.

You can see the inside of the boat. It is not an illusion. The light travels from it, isn't blocked by the rear of the boat, bounces off the water and reaches the eye, just as it does from the prow.

As I wrote in my first post on this topic, the reason Dave is confused (and his confusion seems to be afflicting others as well) is the misconception that the reflection you can see is real, that it somehow exists in the water below the boat. It isn't and it doesn't. It's a virtual image.

Look at the photo of a train on a bridge (I put a link in my last post in this thread). It makes the situation even clearer.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:12:30 pm by Jeremy Roussak »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2018, 01:14:00 pm »

Of course it's not! You have it!

Jeremy

Ivophoto

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »

Ha!!! I can help!! Imagine her ear is the tip of the boat.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2018, 01:38:20 pm »

... The diagram posted is very similar to the one I was about to post, which is attached. The light travels from the blob at the prow of the boat, is reflected off the water and reaches the eye...

Sorry, Jeremy, still not buying it completely. Your diagram explains only what happens above water. How about refraction, which I think is what is necessary to understand what happens "under water," i.e., how/why the "virtual image" is formed and placed under the boat (and not at the point C, where in your diagram the light ray bounces off water into the eye). Ivo's diagram actually shows that.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »

Ha!!! I can help!! Imagine her ear is the tip of the boat.

Ear? What ear? ;)

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »

There is no refraction involved, only reflection.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 01:52:25 pm »

There is no refraction involved, only reflection.

Can you elaborate? Are you saying that there is no refraction when the light ray hits the water/mirror surface?

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »

There is refraction happening when light hits the water, but it's irrelevant in this particular case as you can't see it (it's only relevant for the fish in the water). You only see the reflection, like with the mirror (in the case of the mirror there is only reflection, no refraction).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:57:41 pm by Aram Hăvărneanu »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 02:00:50 pm »

Sorry, Jeremy, still not buying it completely. Your diagram explains only what happens above water. How about refraction, which I think is what is necessary to understand what happens "under water," i.e., how/why the "virtual image" is formed and placed under the boat (and not at the point C, where in your diagram the light ray bounces off water into the eye). Ivo's diagram actually shows that.

No, Slobodan. Nothing of any relevance is going on underneath the water.

Can you elaborate? Are you saying that there is no refraction when the light ray hits the water/mirror surface?

Only reflection is relevant: some of the light from the boat will not be reflected from the surface of the water but will continue into the water; that light will be refracted but unless you're diving you won't see it.

Jeremy

Ivophoto

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 02:07:52 pm »

Forget refraction in this topic, it isn’t relevant.

It is in this image

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up