Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX 50R Work Flow Problems  (Read 2508 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

GFX 50R Work Flow Problems
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »

New Fuji user here, but not new to medium format.
Still struggling with Work Flow. My old system was to copy RAW files from card to my hard drive for permanent storage and archiving. Then I would open that folder in Bridge, and decide which RAW files I would convert and further work on them in Photoshop (Camera Raw converts them as you open them, and gives you options for lens corrections, contrast, saturation, etc, etc. The 50R RAF files cannot be opened in my version of Photoshop (CS6). I did download Adobe DNG Converter. I can copy all the RAW files I just archived into DNG Converter and it will convert the RAFs into DNGs, and leave the RAF, so there are two raw files of each image (hard drive space waster). Is there any need to save the RAF if I have a DNG? Here is my disappointment: Photoshop, Bridge, and DXO Optics Pro, will not preview RAF files. BUT Windows File Browser does the opposite: it DOES preview with thumbnails RAFs but NOT DNG thumbnails! And here is the biggest disappointment of all. When I opened the DNGs in Photoshop's Cameras Raw, there are no lens corrections available for the GFX 23mm and 32-64mm Fuji lenses. In the 50R setup I chose to allow the camera to make lens corrections. But they are not available in ACR. Are they done automatically? I down loaded the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji. There is a learning curve which I have not attempted. I tried it on a few RAFs and I converted therm to TIFs, but saw no options for lens corrections. Worst case scenario: Because of my confusion, I end up with three images of each shot: RAF, DNG, and TIF.
I am also going to post this in several places.
TIA
Dave in NJ.....Happy New Year!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: GFX 50R Work Flow Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:33:04 pm »

I'm biased and self-interested in saying it, but I think it would be pretty widely agreed Capture One is really the way to go. Fuji agreed, which is why they paid Phase One big money to have access to C1 for the GFX. Raw files are just that: very raw. Depending on the raw processor you use you'll end up with quite different color, tonality, and detail/sharpness. As well, each raw processor has considerably different toolsets. This is much more than a decision about what software is compatible; it's a decision about which software will get the most out of your raw files, and get you there the fastest.

There are lots of free tutorials and webinars at https://learn.phaseone.com/

If you prefer in-person instructions you might consider our Capture One classes.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:52:16 pm »

I'm biased and self-interested in saying it, but I think it would be pretty widely agreed Capture One is really the way to go. Fuji agreed, which is why they paid Phase One big money to have access to C1 for the GFX. Raw files are just that: very raw. Depending on the raw processor you use you'll end up with quite different color, tonality, and detail/sharpness. As well, each raw processor has considerably different toolsets. This is much more than a decision about what software is compatible; it's a decision about which software will get the most out of your raw files, and get you there the fastest.

There are lots of free tutorials and webinars at https://learn.phaseone.com/

If you prefer in-person instructions you might consider our Capture One classes.

I agree with Doug. He is biased, and C1 is very good.

;D

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »

I agree with Doug and C1 is outstanding....

Victor

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:20:49 pm »

Well to give a different answer:
I am sure Capture one works good, but you could also go the CC route.

If you buy a fuji MF, why not spend some money to upgrade your version of photoshop + LR?

Must say i do not like the fact i cannot buy the newer (CC) version but have to rent it, but it is not very expensive.
Also apart from the fact that new cameras and lenses are supported, you get some new stuff like dehaze that are really doing something extra.
Lastly they work faster ( LR) and are up to date with the last OS.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:17 pm »

I think you should be seeing lens corrections for the RAW files in the Lens tab of Capture One 12. I did when I used native Fuji lenses with the GFX 50S. The appropriate one should appear automatically but if not you should be able to select the right lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 10:24:28 pm »

If you buy a fuji MF, why not spend some money to upgrade your version of photoshop + LR?
+1
I upgraded to the subscription once CS5 started to falter and never looked back. Eventually I put my CS5 on eBay for what I thought was a silly price and got it. I love nostalgia.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:31:58 am »

With most if not all  mirrorless cameras and ACR, the lens corrections are baked into the file.  ACR/LR will load them automatically, and you can't undo them. GFX Fuji is no exception.  You can see that they have been applied by going to the actual lens correction part of ACR/LR and trying to change the lens profile info that it will be greyed out.  It will also state something about manufacturer lens profiles applied.  Expections would be a Z7 using a non S lens or similar type of setup with Canon.  Here you are using a non mirrorless lens design so the corrections will not carry over automatically. 

C1 also most times will pick the baked in data, but unlike ACR/LR, you can turn it off and use different lens profiles. 

Paul C
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:22:08 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 02:14:51 pm »

First, let me thank everyone that took the time to help someone. I posted this in several places, but in each place I got well thought out suggestions, recommendations, and opinions. I will post this reply on several places as well. The consensus seems to be to go with Capture One, or upgrade to PS and ACR via the rental scheme. My main concern with upgrading my PS and ACR to a monthly rental is not the expense, but the fact that I have a million (exagerated) Plug Ins that I bought and paid for over many many years. I actually have PS version 5 and 6 still on my PC, because some of my favorite plugins were discontinued after down loading and installing on PS 5. I have a different set of Plug Ins on CS 6, and some of them are no longer supported or in business. If I went the rental route, can I have THREE versions running? CS 5 for that set of plug ins, CS6 for a different set, and finally the rental version for RAW file conversion? Just as important as Plug Ins are paid for third party "Actions", such as Blow Up 2, the best and easiest to really enlarge to giant images (for me at least), and another wonderful action for capture sharpening, and output sharpening. The list goes on. I was also advised that  If selected in the camera, that lens corrections are "cooked in" the RAW file, and one does not need to apply lens corrections during the conversion process.
Thanks
Dave

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 03:32:01 pm »

First, let me thank everyone that took the time to help someone. I posted this in several places, but in each place I got well thought out suggestions, recommendations, and opinions. I will post this reply on several places as well. The consensus seems to be to go with Capture One, or upgrade to PS and ACR via the rental scheme. My main concern with upgrading my PS and ACR to a monthly rental is not the expense, but the fact that I have a million (exagerated) Plug Ins that I bought and paid for over many many years. I actually have PS version 5 and 6 still on my PC, because some of my favorite plugins were discontinued after down loading and installing on PS 5. I have a different set of Plug Ins on CS 6, and some of them are no longer supported or in business. If I went the rental route, can I have THREE versions running? CS 5 for that set of plug ins, CS6 for a different set, and finally the rental version for RAW file conversion? Just as important as Plug Ins are paid for third party "Actions", such as Blow Up 2, the best and easiest to really enlarge to giant images (for me at least), and another wonderful action for capture sharpening, and output sharpening. The list goes on. I was also advised that  If selected in the camera, that lens corrections are "cooked in" the RAW file, and one does not need to apply lens corrections during the conversion process.
Thanks
Dave
Yes i think you can actually have three versions running- problem will be to have the OS that supports all three- If you use windows you have less problems i guess in that respect.
You could try CC and if there are problems you simply uninstall it.

I am running Cs6 and CC on the same computer- apple 13.6- photoshop CS6 works apart from the actions that get cut after 5 or 10 minutes.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

DP

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 03:37:46 pm »

My old system was to copy RAW files from card to my hard drive for permanent storage and archiving. Then I would open that folder in Bridge, and decide which RAW files I would convert and further work on them in Photoshop

A regular suggestion - use FRV ( https://www.fastrawviewer.com/about-and-features ) for that purpose

DP

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »

If selected in the camera, that lens corrections are "cooked in" the RAW file

Fuji's firmware writes certain lens correction information in RAF files regardless of what you select in camera based on the lens used ... you can use Iridient X-Transformer at the expense of the storage amount (linear DNGs are big) and invoke it before PS/ACR - it will convert RAF (X-Trans or Bayer CFA) into linear DNG and you will have the best control over lens corrections - you can select which to apply or not and how - let Iridient bake that into linear data itself or pass to ACR as DNG metadata or to discard ...and you can continue to use old PS/ACR versions (if you don't want to upgrade to modern CC)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:21:52 pm »

It sounds like your work flow problem is that you don't have one (:-)

The first thing I would do is to drag all of the plugins into the PlugIns folder of the latest version and do the same for Presets.
I have ancient plugins and actions on 2019 CC and most still work.
Old programmes and preferences often cause more problems than they solve by keeping them.

Adobe does not make life easy by continuing to rename the same programme which starts a new folder and leaves a trail of garbage through your computer.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

bwana

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:01:34 pm »

cull your files and convert any you like with fuji raw converter. It's free and has very good tiff file output

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 10:09:45 am »

I use a two prong approach. Ingest the files via Lightroom, I like the catalog aspects, do my selects, and put them in a "select folder" in Lightroom. Then I create a new catalog (with previews set low to save space) in C!1 and import the selects.
A little kludgy but works until C1 gets their catalog sorted out.
YMMV

mdr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:11 am »

Thanks
Dave
[/quote

Keep your existing PS, it's good for at least ten years. Use C1 for Raw conversion and cataloguing and move the files over.

LR is pretty good at the catalog part, but I don(t know whether it cooperates with C1.

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up