Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Review of A7Riii much too bright  (Read 606 times)

pflower

Image Review of A7Riii much too bright
« on: December 24, 2018, 02:48:21 pm »

I've just got an A7Riii and am generally very impressed.  However I have a problem with the image review.

I shoot flash in manual mode (both camera and flash).  So my workflow is to make a couple of test shots and then judge exposure on the camera and adjust flash intensity and/or aperture accordingly.  This works flawlessly with my previous A7ii and my HB X1D.  But something is very out of kilter with the A7Riii.

My first attempt at flash with the A7Riii was a bit disconcerting.  The image on the lcd and in the viewfinder looked fine - in fact it looked like it was perfectly exposed.  However when imported into Lightroom it was clear that the image was underexposed by at least 2 stops.  This is not reflected in the image review.

I noticed that the monitor was set to Sunny Day, so changed that to Manual and -2, same for the viewfinder (changed from auto to manual -2).  The images look OK - not perfectly exposed but nothing like the raw files when imported into Lightroom.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the idea that both the histogram and the image review is based upon the imbedded jpeg (I only shoot raw).  So could some setting somehow be the root cause of this?  I note that both Picture Effect and Picture Profile are "off".  So what else can be causing this?

At present I can't see a way of using this camera in a studio with flash without shooting tethered.

Can anyone more familiar with the A7Riii than I have any suggestions?

Thanks

hogloff

Re: Image Review of A7Riii much too bright
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »

Look at your in-camera jpeg settings. They might be out of wack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up