Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic on different computers  (Read 719 times)

Jonathan Cross

Classic on different computers
« on: December 24, 2018, 03:48:42 am »

If this is a very basic question, forgive me.  I have a desktop and a laptop.  The laptop has an SSD, and I am thinking of having an SSD on the desktop as well.  If I do I will get a portable SSD for all my images and LR catalog (I have others for backup).  If I have LR Classic on both machines can I do imports and work on one machine and then expect the other to pick this automatically up when I plug in the SSD?  I do not want to use LR CC, as I have a distrust of the cloud!

Happy Christmas to all at LULA and to all who use the Forum.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

CeeVee

Re: Classic on different computers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 05:53:30 am »

Never tried this but it should work with one caveat - you need to be certain that the SSD "Name" is compatible on both computers.
If you aim LR at the detachable Disk named Z on computer one I'm thinking you need to be sure the disk name doesn't permanently change when it's attached to computer two.
I'm basing this on swapping portable drives between my Desktop and my Laptop. On the Laptop it appeared as drive "n" but on the Desktop was labeled something else. I don't clearly recall the details but it seems.s to me there was a utility that "froze" the swapped drive designation so it appears the same on both. LR's configuration presupposes that the catalog doesn't move. Good luck.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:05:00 am »

Never tried this but it should work with one caveat - you need to be certain that the SSD "Name" is compatible on both computers.
If you aim LR at the detachable Disk named Z on computer one I'm thinking you need to be sure the disk name doesn't permanently change when it's attached to computer two.
I'm basing this on swapping portable drives between my Desktop and my Laptop. On the Laptop it appeared as drive "n" but on the Desktop was labeled something else. I don't clearly recall the details but it seems.s to me there was a utility that "froze" the swapped drive designation so it appears the same on both. LR's configuration presupposes that the catalog doesn't move. Good luck.

If you’re working in the Apple ecosystem, drive name should not be a problem. Hopefully your external SSD is USB 3.1 to ensure you have the transfer speed for efficient use.

If your LR catalogue is on the external SSD drivers you indicate, it’s simply a matter of opening LR from there the first time you open it on either machine. From then on, LR in either location should ‘know’ where to go and should work seamlessly.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:07 am »

Yes people do this. Just keep the catalogue on the external drive as well as the files.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up