Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with AI Gigabit and Monochrome TIF inputs creating color outputs  (Read 1025 times)

bobfriedman

Turns out that for my monochrome sensor conversion images - TIF monochrome file outputs.. AIG creates color image outputs whether I want it to or not.  Settings attached... Any suggestions?

Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Issue with AI Gigabit and Monochrome TIF inputs creating color outputs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:31:57 pm »

Turns out that for my monochrome sensor conversion images - TIF monochrome file outputs.. AIG creates color image outputs whether I want it to or not.  Settings attached... Any suggestions?

Hi Bob,

To better understand your issue, are your input image TIFFs 3-channel monochrome (e.g. tinted) or 1-channel or 3-channel achromatic (greyscale) images?
And what do the output images look like?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bobfriedman

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 06:43:39 pm »

Hi Bob,

To better understand your issue, are your input image TIFFs 3-channel monochrome (e.g. tinted) or 1-channel or 3-channel achromatic (greyscale) images?
And what do the output images look like?

Cheers,
Bart

they are greyscale.. pure monochrome. in fact, I bypass demosaicing using DarkTable.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

bobfriedman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 07:15:09 am »

turns out that they were not as pure as I thought.. I processed the raw files with Monochrome2DNG and actually got 1-channel Gray.. which solved the problem..

while the DarkTable output (demosaic turned off) monochrome TIF when read in with photoshop actually showed 3-channel RGB but ACR displayed as monochrome.   AIG processed files from those TIF's showed slight color when magnified.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

bobfriedman

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 03:30:30 pm »

interesting response from Topaz..

Topaz Marketing (Topaz Classic)
Jan 4, 2:27 PM CST

Hello Bob,

Currently, Gigapixel's AI models have only been trained on color photos so most of the time when you run a monochrome file through the program, it outputs with a color cast. Though this is fixable in post, we don't currently have a way of stopping this process.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,

Topaz Labs Marketing Team
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 05:50:02 am »

interesting response from Topaz..

Topaz Marketing (Topaz Classic)
Jan 4, 2:27 PM CST

Hello Bob,

Currently, Gigapixel's AI models have only been trained on color photos so most of the time when you run a monochrome file through the program, it outputs with a color cast. Though this is fixable in post, we don't currently have a way of stopping this process.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,

Topaz Labs Marketing Team

Hi Bob,

Thanks for letting us know their reaction. So no immediate solution coming from them, thus another postprocessing step to make the result achromatic/monochrome again is needed.

I could imagine that if enough people file a feature request, they could add a trained option for greyscale/luminosity input only. Question is, is there a large enough market for that feature to justify the effort.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up