Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder Question  (Read 2558 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Folder Question
« on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:44 am »

I was moving a group of file folders from one master folder to another within LR CC Classic when the program crashed in the middle of the process. Many of the file folders did not get moved and the LR folders in the catalog are now delinked from the actual folders on disk. Is there a way I can relink these folders en masse, rather than having to do that individually?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Folder Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:34:03 am »

Right-clicking on one or both of the parent folders and choosing "synchronise folder" might work.

Jeremy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:09:02 am »

No, don't synchronize. It has its uses but it's not for sorting out problems - in this case, it's likely to cause more trouble.

Right click a parent folder, and choose Find Missing Folder. If a parent folder isn't visible, right click a folder with a question mark and choose Show Parent Folder, then use Find Missing Folder.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »

No, don't synchronize. It has its uses but it's not for sorting out problems - in this case, it's likely to cause more trouble.

Why do you say that, John?

Jeremy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 03:01:57 pm »

Because it's not repairing what you've done to LR. Instead it's blindly syncing to whatever happens to be on disc. This often results in the removal from the catalogue of the existing, missing thumbnails which have metadata and adjustments, and importing the photos again from their new location but without the metadata and adjustments. I also rather like the "moral hazard" of making people fix things properly!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:40:29 am »

Fair enough.

Jeremy

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 10:51:39 am »

Because it's not repairing what you've done to LR. Instead it's blindly syncing to whatever happens to be on disc. This often results in the removal from the catalogue of the existing, missing thumbnails which have metadata and adjustments, and importing the photos again from their new location but without the metadata and adjustments. I also rather like the "moral hazard" of making people fix things properly!

Thank you!!!  👏
Regards,
Ron

David Eichler

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 03:06:15 pm »

Right click a parent folder, and choose Find Missing Folder. If a parent folder isn't visible, right click a folder with a question mark and choose Show Parent Folder, then use Find Missing Folder.

When I click on the parent folder, I do not see a choice for finding a missing folder. Also, the parent folder does not have a question mark and I was not trying to move the entire parent folder, only some sub-folders within the parent folder.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 04:56:52 am »

When I click on the parent folder, I do not see a choice for finding a missing folder. Also, the parent folder does not have a question mark and I was not trying to move the entire parent folder, only some sub-folders within the parent folder.

To state the obvious, the parent folder isn't missing. You'll have to click on each "missing" subfolder and find it again. Sometimes, if you point LR at one missing folder, it's able to find the others if they're in the same place. That's why I suggested doing a sync, but I'm happy to take John's word that that would be a dangerous idea. You could always back up your catalogue and try it, though.

Jeremy

David Eichler

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 09:34:50 am »

To state the obvious, the parent folder isn't missing. You'll have to click on each "missing" subfolder and find it again. Sometimes, if you point LR at one missing folder, it's able to find the others if they're in the same place. That's why I suggested doing a sync, but I'm happy to take John's word that that would be a dangerous idea. You could always back up your catalogue and try it, though.

Jeremy

So, John misread my statement then?

David Eichler

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 09:39:36 am »

The problem appears to be worse than I originally stated. It looks like all the files did get moved to the place I wanted, via LR. However, the folders have remained in their original locations.

Should I go ahead and try to move the delinked LR folders to where I wanted them and then try to link them up with the actual folders? I suppose I could test with a couple of folders before moving large numbers of them.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 12:17:13 pm »

If the folder is shown in Lightroom, an option is to right click the folder and choose Update Folder Location, then point to its new location. You may get a message about merging,  usually if both folders are shown in Lightroom - generally this should be accepted.

David Eichler

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 01:18:41 pm »

If the folder is shown in Lightroom, an option is to right click the folder and choose Update Folder Location, then point to its new location. You may get a message about merging,  usually if both folders are shown in Lightroom - generally this should be accepted.

What you describe is not an option for a delinked folder, the only choices are find missing folder, remove folder, export this folder as a catalog, or add color label.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 04:58:30 pm »

You  say the parent folder is visible. So then right click it and use that Update Folder Location command on it. As said before, you may get a message about merging.

David Eichler

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »

You  say the parent folder is visible. So then right click it and use that Update Folder Location command on it. As said before, you may get a message about merging.

I don’t understand that advice. I do not want to move the parent folder.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 04:13:33 am »

David, I think it might help if you gave some specific examples of where the problem lies. John and I are trying to help (and you'd probably do better to take his advice where it differs from mine), but to an extent we're both groping in, if not the dark, at least the twilight.

Jeremy

David Eichler

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 04:23:09 pm »

David, I think it might help if you gave some specific examples of where the problem lies. John and I are trying to help (and you'd probably do better to take his advice where it differs from mine), but to an extent we're both groping in, if not the dark, at least the twilight.

Jeremy

I think I have adequately described the problem. I suspect the difficulty you and John are having is that neither of you have actually experienced the problem I have described or know of another instance of this problem, specifically, folders that have become delinked while trying to move them within Lightroom.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 05:01:43 pm »

What you describe is not an option for a delinked folder, the only choices are find missing folder, remove folder, export this folder as a catalog, or add color label.

The option then would be to "find missing folder". I'm afraid you'll have to do this for each folder.

Another extreme option: If you have a backup of your catalog just before you started moving the images, then move the images to ther original locations outside of LR and restore the old catalog. You will then be as before starting the process.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 03:10:05 am »

And I think I have also adequately explained the solution based on having experienced this problem and many other variations.

If you don't want to go through Find Missing Folder for each folder, these are the tools that you can use in combination:
  • Show Parent Folder
  • Either Find Missing Folder on the parent, which automatically fixes its children
  • Or Update Folder Location on the parent, which automatically fixes its children
  • Generally accept any Merge message
  • Avoid Folder Synchronize as it can completely remove photos from the catalogue and/or lose adjustments and metadata
  • At the end, run Find Missing Photos

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 03:41:26 am »

I think I have adequately described the problem. I suspect the difficulty you and John are having is that neither of you have actually experienced the problem I have described or know of another instance of this problem, specifically, folders that have become delinked while trying to move them within Lightroom.

In that case, the problem must be mine, not yours. When I've sorted myself out, I'll think about offering you assistance again.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up