Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering with Phase One Firewire backs and modern PC  (Read 2192 times)

andyptak

Tethering with Phase One Firewire backs and modern PC
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:01:52 am »

I've been using my P45+ tethered to a laptop with an Express Card slot and a Firewire card.

I'm strictly a Windows guy and want to upgrade my laptop, mainly for better screen resolution and battery life. Are there any hubs or devices that allow me to go from USB C to Thunderbolt or Firewire? Express Cards are no longer a viable option. I've looked and I'm stumped. Thanks.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Tethering with Phase One Firewire backs and modern PC
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:09 pm »

Well Apple certainly sell USB-C to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters. I have no idea if they work on PCs but you could try them.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:34:08 pm »

Thanks Bob,

I had believed that USB-C and Thunderbolt were interchangeable but that's not quite true, I've been told. For instance TB3 is definitely not, while legacy TB may or may not be. Very confusing. I had thought I could buy a USB-C Windows laptop and then get an OWC hub that has USB-C and Firewire, but now I have my doubts that it will work.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:20:27 pm »

Thunderbolt without any qualification is Thunderbolt 1 or 2 which is a Mini Display port connector. Thunderbolt 3 is a USB-C connector. Bigger the number the bigger the speed.
Search for these on your local Apple Store
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter?

Amazon has converters too and they say they support Windows. It is Intel technology so it should work on either.
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B01D0D7QU0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:24:41 pm by BobShaw »

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:44:06 am »

Thanks again Bob,

As you can tell, I don't know much about the technical side of this. I'm just a user. What  read about the new laptop I bought - after I bought it of course - is that although it is USB-C, it does not support TB3, which is faster and bi-directional. Although I have the same shaped end that doesn't mean I have the same protocol.

My concern is that if I buy a hub or use a series of adapters, my USB-C won't support the protocol required by Firewire. The connectors may fit, but they can't talk to each other kind of thing.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:32:42 pm »

USB-c can't turn into Thunderbolt, so I'd triple check that the port you're looking at is a full TB3 one.  One method would be a TB3-TB2 adapter then the http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html adapter to get an ExpressCard slot, then your current FW card.

The other method would be to surf the refurbished laptops for a workstation that has an ExpressCard slot. Ala something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RR6W89739

One other idea would be to bootcamp a Macbook so you get the OS you want, but on Apple hardware.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:39:30 pm by Joe Towner »
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:49:53 pm »

What  read about the new laptop I bought - after I bought it of course - is that although it is USB-C, it does not support TB3, which is faster and bi-directional.
Wow, a serious limitation. There may be a options available but I doubt they would be reliable.
I would try a cable but you could be looking at a new laptop/ MacBook.
The other option of course is to upgrade the camera. Firewire support will get less and less.

andyptak

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 08:25:55 am »

Joe, I already have a Sonnettech unit. A purchase from years ago, before I realized that it wouldn't work with Windows at that time. It had something to do with drivers, or chipsets then, I really can't remember. Now I see that they have Windows instructions on their site and claim (some) compatibility.

The USB-C on my new laptop is not TB3, a fact learned too late, but otherwise I am very happy with it. Can I get a USB-C to TB2 adapter cable and give it a try? Shouldn't cost too much and if it doesn't work it was worth a try.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays guys.

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:12:37 pm »

TB3 is PCIe lanes, something that USB-C can't provide. If you want to try, go for it, but it won't work unfortunately.

Just started working on a wipe of a clients Dell Latitude E6500, which has a 4-pin firewire connector on the side.

-Joe

andyptak

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:13:14 am »

Joe, I understand that TB3 is out and I'm fine with that. What I'm struggling with is can I go from USB-C on my laptop to the TB 1/2 on the Sonnettech unit? Thanks.

Dan Wells

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 02:37:05 am »

No, USB-C can't give you any version of Thunderbolt unless it's a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port, which you've checked on and yours isn't...

There are inexpensive USB to Firewire (not Thunderbolt) adapters on Amazon - no idea if they work...

andyptak

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 09:53:55 am »

Thanks Dan, Joe and Bob.

This has been an education. As you can tell, I'm not a techie, but I do understand English and I must say that the various articles and reviews that I read prior to doing this have to be the sloppiest pieces that I have read in a long time because they all stated, or inferred, that USB-C was more than just a different tip and that it combined legacy USB and TB (excluding TB3)  into one, "do it all" port. I wouldn't even call it journalism. Welcome to the world of click bait, I guess. Best wishes for the coming year.

Joe Towner

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 03:35:29 pm »

I am hopeful that the eGPU push will give us more machines with a TB3 port.  That and things like external NVMe drives over TB3 give a huge performance boost.

There is no way to turn USB into Firewire - all the adapters you see are a physical conversion, not electrical.  If such a device existed, Phase would state what works (and they don't).

Pages: [1]   Go Up