Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Editing on a iPad Pro  (Read 1306 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Photo Editing on a iPad Pro
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:04:57 pm »

Morning guys,
Today I am planning to go and buy myself a new 12.9" iPad Pro and use that exclusively as my photo editing tool using Snapseed until the new Photoshop cc arrives for iPad in the New Year. I have been practicing with Snapseed on my hand phone and find it fairly simple to use. My current camera systems are Hasselblad H6D100c Leica S and M. I read this blog by Austin Mann and he uses the same H6D100c  camera along with the 12.9 iPad Pro.
So my question to the group is how many of you guys use a iPad Pro to edit your pictures and if you do how is it???

Neil

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
Re: Photo Editing on a iPad Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:00:22 pm »

Affinity Photo. Terrific program.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:21:24 am »

You may have 400+ posts but surely you must be trolling us since April 1 is a long way off. You really have a 100MP Hasselblad and Leica S and you’re planning to do your primary photo editing on an iPad?

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:46:10 am »

You may have 400+ posts but surely you must be trolling us since April 1 is a long way off. You really have a 100MP Hasselblad and Leica S and you’re planning to do your primary photo editing on an iPad?
Excuse me..........If you’re insinuating that I’m lying then you can KMA. Yes I have a Hasselblad H6D100c and yes I have a Leica S007 and YES I’m planning on using iPad Pro to edit my pictures.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrp

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:37:51 pm »

Just use lightroom cc.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:01:01 pm »

I have an iPad Pro (the 13" version) and it is running Affinity, but not Photoshop. I can see some if-necessary, in-the-field editing, but as a day to day workhorse?  No way.  The icons are just too small for precise finger pointing and the interface is too complex. Possible, but not efficient.

As a viewing/reviewing device, it's excellent.  As is the sound system, which is amazing.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 06:36:47 pm »

Here is my first H6D100C image edited using my new 12.9 1TB iPad Pro........ not my Sunday best image but surprisingly easy enough to edit on the iPad.
Speed wise it was amazingly fast considering the file size was ~250 MB.
I used Lightroom cc initially and added the signature using Affinity Photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:33:35 pm »

As others have indicated, to me editing and an iPad are mutually exclusive. I use an iPad for customer viewing during a shoot but with a proper MacBook Pro or Air you can run the full version of Phocus and also do tethering and attach peripherals like storage. It is also about the same price.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 10:28:27 am »

I think we have a few ‘stuck-in-the-mud’ photographers here, relying heavily on past experience, which is understandable, but not being open-minded enough about what’s possible. In many ways, iOS sucks and is limiting creativity, but not for illustrating and certainly not for photo editing.

I salute you, Neil, for pushing the envelope. Given the depth and creativity of the free-hand artwork being created on iPad, there is no question that serious photo editing can be done on it, especially since we photographers are not starting from a blank canvas like illustrators are, but from a mostly finished image.

I shot my way around SE Asia for 5 weeks last summer and 95% of editing was done on iPad or iPhone. Snapseed worked very well as did TouchRetouch (brilliant, in fact!) and Pixelmator for putting the photos onto a white square background for viewing. They weren’t 100mp Hasselblad files, but the easy and simplicity of editing was there, and that’s what iPad does.

As far as small icons go, an Apple Pencil takes care of that. In fact the Pencil makes edits even easier.

Some are concerned about colour balance, which might be valid for precise technical shots, fashion, food and studio work, but for the vast majority of nature, travel and landscape photography, colour balance is more than accurate enough.

iPad can’t do everything (e.g. printing to my Epson 3880), but it can easily be the future of photo editing, if you’re open to it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 04:22:00 pm »

I do all my photo processing/editing, except for print (I rarely print nowadays), on my iPad Pro using Affinity Photo. In fact I've been editing on iPads since 2013. The iPad 2 (my first one) struggled a bit with Sony A7r Raws, but beginning with the Air series it's been smooth sailing. The Pro's pencil is very handy indeed for precise work. I'd recommend an iPad Pro for such use to anyone who likes touch interfaces and appreciates portability.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up