Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sd cards falling apart  (Read 1444 times)

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
sd cards falling apart
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:46:00 am »

Maybe it is just me, my gear gets heavy use but I try not to abuse it.

In the last six months i have tossed out about a 1/2 dozen sd cards
(sandisk extreem pro) due to de-lamination and  chipped plastic around the pins.

I rotate thru 9 cards while shooting and keeping them clean, dry and secured in a proper sd card case. I am working in all types of hot & cold weather but do not think that I have ever gotten the cards wet.

Maybe these cards have reached the end of their useful life cycle and if I need to be more disciplined and buy fresh cards every year then so be it.

But I am curious if anyone else is having this issue. My biggest concern is that a piece of plastic will chip off and muck up in innards of the sd card slot on my Fuji GFX 50S and that would be a royal pain in the…

I am thinking of using the Delkin Black series does anyone have experience with those?

Thanks

Jim Metzger

Re: sd cards falling apart
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:51:28 am »

I have had very good experience with Sandisk SD including heavy use during travel. If they are within warranty I would contact Sandisk. I have had another major manufacturer replace a failed CF card which had trouble reading and writing. Physical damage / wear and tear may be different.

In any case don't wait until there is damage to the camera or a failure to record images.

Good luck

Jim

Rado

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:17:51 am »

I had one Sandisk Extreme Pro card fall apart physically this year (it was the most used one)

DP

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:56:31 am »

In the last six months i have tossed out about a 1/2 dozen sd cards
(sandisk extreem pro) due to de-lamination and  chipped plastic around the pins.

are you sure it is the cards and not the slot(s) in camera ?

faberryman

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:00:03 pm »

I guess I have been lucky. I have never had a damaged SD card, or CF card before that. I use SanDisk and Lexar. Although I understand delamination, I'm not sure how the plastic gets chipped around the pins absent misuse.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:40:47 pm by faberryman »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:02:23 pm »

I use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards...Many have gone thru the washer several times and have had no problems. I know, many and several! Stuff happens.

Peter

bassman51

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 02:34:44 pm »

I’ve had two SD cards fall apart, one Sandisk and the other EyeFi.  Both were replaced by the manufacturer with no problem.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

John R

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »

As Michael suggested, check the card slot, it may be eating at the sides of the card whenever you insert or remove. I had the same problem with an SD to USB adapter that Sandisk used to provide with the cards. That was the culprit. After I stopped using it, it never happened again. And Sandisk replaced it without issue.

JR
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:57:44 pm by John R »

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 11:09:13 am »

Thanks for all of the ideas & suggestions. I was using these cards in three different cameras (not a great idea) Pentax645Z, Canon 5Dsr, and the Fuji GFX 50s. Possibly one of these camera slots was eating at the sides of the cards and combined with the heavy use the cards started to de laminate and chip. In the future I plan to be especially careful. I do plan to check out the Sony Tough card and Delkin Black card series. Curious if anyone has any experience with these cards?

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 11:02:01 am »

I've not had that issue with any of my 8 San Disk cards.  Not even the ones that have gone through the washer and dryer.  I do use San Disk UHS-II cards almost exclusively because my Fuji cameras can take advantage of the better speeds. I've recently added 2 UHS-II SD cards from Sony and have had no issues with them either.  I do keep the cards in a Pelican 0915 case if that matters.   
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 04:30:19 am »

So everybody seems to be washing their SD-cards...?
What washing powder works best to format them clean ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:47 pm »

I used an unscented liquid and no softener.  Dried as normal.   ;D
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up