Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Desktop Speakers  (Read 2865 times)

Don Blauvelt

Suggestions for Desktop Speakers
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:54:16 pm »

Suggestions for Desktop Speakers

My wife is staring to edit a rough cut of video project we shot recently. I want her to have external speakers to evaluate the audio quality of the footage and monitor her levels. She will be editing it in FCP X v.10.4. This will be her first time editing.

Any suggestions/ recommendations would be appreciated.

Peter McLennan

Don Blauvelt

Re: Suggestions for Desktop Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:38:30 am »

Peter thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I should have mentioned the speakers need to be self amplified/active

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:35:30 pm »

I am using Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System.
Sound is *excellent*.
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:38:34 pm by MichaelEzra »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 06:11:10 pm »

Peter thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I should have mentioned the speakers need to be self amplified/active

Did you notice the price on the amp? :)

Michael's Klipsch suggestion looks very good, too.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 06:19:17 pm »

What's the budget?

Don Blauvelt

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:33:30 pm »

Budget is $200 to $350 per pair and they have to be self-amplified.

My wife is not a Pro Editor, so we are looking at speakers that will give a fairly accurate analysis of our Rough Cut's audio levels. We will then be sending out DVDs, etc. to get feedback from a variety of people, to see and hear what they think about the story. Hopefully they will screen it on their TV or at least a decent Computer monitor. I'm asking here in hopes of getting info from people who actually use the speaker/monitors for their own editing set-up. Thank you for responding.

Michael's Suggestion does look good, but we are cramped for space so we would rather just stick with a two-speaker system.
Don

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 01:55:56 pm »

That budget is pretty tough for a good pair of entry level monitors.

You might be able to get a pair of Focal Alpha 50 for $450 if you shop around on ebay.

A pair of Yamaha HS5 would be around $400, perhaps cheaper on ebay, but I'd much rather get the Focals. They are a class over the Yamahas.

The most common recommendation at that price point would be the Rokit 5, but I would stay away from those.

Stay away from cheap consumer stuff like "computer" speakers, 2.1 stuff, etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:04:41 pm by Aram Hăvărneanu »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 02:16:56 pm »

Inspired by a pair I heard attached to Bill Atkinson’s computer, I bought a pair of these JBL SoundSticks about 15 years ago and have used & loved them ever since. I see they are now wireless which I would mistrust, so a used wired set would be my choice.

FWIW - For monitoring levels, all you should use is the meters on your editor - there are too many places for the volume to be set that can lead your ears astray. For extremely good advice on editing sound, check out some of Larry Jordan's older audio tutorials.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »

Michael's Suggestion does look good, but we are cramped for space so we would rather just stick with a two-speaker system.
Don

Don, I keep the subwoofer on the floor and small speakers on the table. The sound is phenomenal, something you would never expect from  such a small package. Check the subwoofer dimentions, it's quite small.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 01:15:03 pm »

Take a look at this page. These guys have a lot of good options, and they’re sales people know their stuff regarding audio.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-monitors-buying-guide/

FWIW, I don’t like subwoofer systems for editing. Most of the less-expensive systems have very poor lower midrange reproduction (because they pair too-small speakers on the desk with a subwoofer) and muddy bass (mostly as a result of the sub being stuck under the desk). They sound appealing, but they are not accurate. You’re going to get a more accurate sound reproduction from full range speakers on the desk.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 01:45:32 pm »

Inspired by a pair I heard attached to Bill Atkinson’s computer, I bought a pair of these JBL SoundSticks about 15 years ago and have used & loved them ever since. I see they are now wireless which I would mistrust, so a used wired set would be my choice.

Hi Chris!! Good to see you are still out & about or is it oout & aboout?  :)
It looks like those speakers are still offered in a wired configuration as well
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »

I had the original soundsticks as well, the woofer is cool, but the sticks have a tendency towards metalic sounding. Not pleasant considering a lot of compressed digital sound already sounds metallic to begin with.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:38 pm »

For casual listening I have a pair of Edifier amplified speakers. They aren't exactly high end but far superior to standard computer speakers. Mine sound great and I'm a little bit of an audio snob (although not quite to the silver cables and tube amps level). For the money I think they would be hard to beat. They also have two inputs so you can run two sources simultaneously which is handy for my setup with two computers (one for photography and casual use and one for my software job).
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up