Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google NIK plugins and Photoshop 2019  (Read 2255 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Google NIK plugins and Photoshop 2019
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:23:13 pm »

I just updated to PS2019 from 2018. NIK and Topaz plugins disappeared. Par for the course. They were working fine in PS2018.
When I tried to drag the plugin folders and files from the PS2018 Plugins folder, I was stymied. Seems the Plugins folder for PS2019, containing Generator, is a Read-Only.
I cannot seem to change the R/O properties so I cannot copy or move the Plugins from PS2018 to the Plugins folder for PS2019.
Any suggestions?

kirkt

Re: Google NIK plugins and Photoshop 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »

For a while now, there has been a "Common" directory for plug-ins for PS - on a Mac, it is here:

/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CC

at the system level.  Plug-ins placed in this directory will be accessible to all copies of PS CC that use this common location.  Perhaps people have a specific need or find utility in dragging plug-ins from one version of PS to the newer version - why the folder is read-only on your machine, I do not know and I am not familiar with administrator rights on windows.  It is 755 on my Macs, as it probably should be.

Kirk

EDIT - apparently on a windows machine, it is located here:

Hard Drive\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:35:43 pm by kirkt »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:41:08 pm »

I should have noted I was using Win10 :-[ On my machine the \CC folder is also R/O; sounds like it is an OS issue. Thanks for the reply, Kirk.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:49 pm »

May not be your issue but certainly worth looking into.  I just read an update on the DXO website. (New owner of the NIK plugins)
They said that all older copies of the plugins will not work on the new Photoshop 2019.
They have since recoded all of the plugins to work with the new Photoshop but it requires paying for the new recoded updated plugins.

E. Dinur

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:09:47 am »

I should have noted I was using Win10 :-[ On my machine the \CC folder is also R/O; sounds like it is an OS issue. Thanks for the reply, Kirk.
On my Win 10, PSCC 2019 Vs. 20.1 the free NIK package from Google runs perfectly and the Google folder with the plugins is indeed in that Common/.../CC folder.

The folder is Read and Execute for users and Full Control for the Administrator. you can change the permissions to add Write for users by opening the folder's Properties and selecting the Security tab and clicking Edit. In the box that opens select Users and in the lower section check Allow opposite Write. You should now be able to paste in the Google folder. Afterwards you can return the permissions to its previous state by changing Allow to Deny.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 08:42:43 am »

Copied the old (free) Google NIK and Topaz folders to the Common...\CC folder (see above) and all Plugins are now working perfectly in PSCC2019.

Peterretep2

• Mountain Photographics
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:05:37 am »

On my Win 10, PSCC 2019 Vs. 20.1 the free NIK package from Google runs perfectly and the Google folder with the plugins is indeed in that Common/.../CC folder.

The folder is Read and Execute for users and Full Control for the Administrator. you can change the permissions to add Write for users by opening the folder's Properties and selecting the Security tab and clicking Edit. In the box that opens select Users and in the lower section check Allow opposite Write. You should now be able to paste in the Google folder. Afterwards you can return the permissions to its previous state by changing Allow to Deny.
I recently upgraded to PS 2019 and my old NIK plugins work as they always have, no problem what so ever. I did have someone at Adobe take remote control of my iMac to make the change in order to not lose everything I have been using in PS 2017.
Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:11:31 pm »

The biggest downside to the OLD Nik plugins are that they are 32 bit apps.  The next Mac OS after Mojave will not run 32 bit apps.  The latest Nik plugins that you buy are 64 bit apps. 
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up