Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One wireless device  (Read 4039 times)

william

Phase One wireless device
« on: October 27, 2006, 03:08:32 pm »

As I recall, Phase was promising some sort of wireless device to be used with the P series backs, along the lines of the iPaq DP-67 for the Leaf backs (which actually isn't available yet for the Aptus series, but that's neither here nor there).  Is Phase still working on this?  I havem't heard anything about it since last year.  I'm actually not interested in wireless transmission of the full RAW file, but it would be nice to have something like Leaf's DP-67 as a "wireless Polaroid" providing small previews for client's an assistants for those times when you don't want to shoot tethered but want to have a preview larger than the back of the Phase LCD.

Anyone got any info?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:09:25 pm by william »

digitalguy

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 03:36:12 pm »

As I recall, Phase was promising some sort of wireless device to be used with the P series backs, along the lines of the iPaq DP-67 for the Leaf backs (which actually isn't available yet for the Aptus series, but that's neither here nor there).  Is Phase still working on this?  I havem't heard anything about it since last year.  I'm actually not interested in wireless transmission of the full RAW file, but it would be nice to have something like Leaf's DP-67 as a "wireless Polaroid" providing small previews for client's an assistants for those times when you don't want to shoot tethered but want to have a preview larger than the back of the Phase LCD.

Anyone got any info?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From what I have heard Phase is building all the technology to come standard in the Plus series, but it will not be turned on until Q3/2007 because the IEEE standard for the version of wireless transfer is not ratified yet. I even did a search on the 802.11N standard and came up with verification that indeed IEEE says Q3/2007 for it to become a true standard.

The equipment that is shipping today (routers,cards,etc...) is on the draft standard that may change. It is ok if you are building a little home/closed network to take risk now and install, but when you are looking at Phase One digital backs being sold all over the world that are going to be expected to work in a variety of environments, I would rather they wait for it to be a true standard.
\
It should be amazing when it ships. The speed will be faster than firewire 400!

Imagine having a Network Attached Storage Device that has a wireless router built in to it that you take to your location and plug it in and shoot away. At the end of the day put it in a pelecan case and then go back to your office/studio jack it into the LAN and there you go.

Wow no more tripping over cables.

Dg

Esben

• captureforce.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:46:17 pm »

digitalguy

What make you think that it will be wifi. Wusb is slowly becoming a standard and is as fast as usb 2.

Sincerely,
Esben
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:27:54 am by Esben »
Digital Tech NYC // LA
Captureforce

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 09:07:02 am »

digitalguy

What make you think that it will be wifi. Wusb is slowly becoming a standard and is as fast as usb 2.

Sincerely,
Esben

www.captureforce.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From my Phase rep:

Ultra Wide Band wireless is almost here.  Two industry consortiums are fighting over the standard.  Once that is resolved, the PLUS back is already prepared for wireless transfers. Upgrade plans will be announced once the transfer standard has been established.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

william

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 09:43:23 am »

Thanks for the responses.  I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but my original question was whether Phase will have some sort of wireless preview device along the lines of Leaf's DP-67 for previewing files.  I mean, wireless transfer of the actual RAW files is cool (I guess; I'd be a little skeptical of it on a big paid shoot), but what I'm actually interested in is just a preview device.  So, does anyone know if the upcoming Phase wireless prototol will only be for transfer of the actual RAW files to a computer or NAS drive, or if it will also invlude capability of wireless preview on a handheld device like the Leaf iPaq thing?

From my Phase rep:

Ultra Wide Band wireless is almost here.  Two industry consortiums are fighting over the standard.  Once that is resolved, the PLUS back is already prepared for wireless transfers. Upgrade plans will be announced once the transfer standard has been established.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up