Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitor NEC pa271q Vs eizo cg279x  (Read 7342 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: New monitor NEC pa271q Vs eizo cg279x
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »

Thanks for posting. This clarifies the workflow described by mbridge87. What model Eizo was this?
CX271
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

smthopr

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 06:39:25 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up. Very useful.

Given that i do edit video on occasion and it's concievable I'll have more video work in the future, are there negatives between the pa271q and the cg279x? Are there still frame rate advantages or are these monitors pretty much identical in that regard as well?
It looks like the NEC covers all the frame rates now... except for 23.98 and 29.97 which are legacies of NTSC TV and are still often used in the US.  That said, I think you could always set your video output to 60fps and play the 23.98 video over that frequency and it will still look ok.  I think :)

If you're not connecting your display to a dedicated video/movie I/O device, like from BlackMagic (for use with Resolve software) or AJA, I'm not sure the frame rate issue is that important to you.  For me, I play back through a BlackMagic Decklink display device at the exact frame rate that my footage is.  At the same time, my GUI (computer display) is probably set to 60Hz and playback there also looks ok, even when playing back 23.98fps or 24fps video.  Part of the reason this is kind of ok is that LCD screens do not flicker like a CRT used to.

So, it seems like the NEC may be the best choice for you.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

mbridge87

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 02:55:13 am »

It looks like the NEC covers all the frame rates now... except for 23.98 and 29.97 which are legacies of NTSC TV and are still often used in the US.  That said, I think you could always set your video output to 60fps and play the 23.98 video over that frequency and it will still look ok.  I think :)

If you're not connecting your display to a dedicated video/movie I/O device, like from BlackMagic (for use with Resolve software) or AJA, I'm not sure the frame rate issue is that important to you.  For me, I play back through a BlackMagic Decklink display device at the exact frame rate that my footage is.  At the same time, my GUI (computer display) is probably set to 60Hz and playback there also looks ok, even when playing back 23.98fps or 24fps video.  Part of the reason this is kind of ok is that LCD screens do not flicker like a CRT used to.

So, it seems like the NEC may be the best choice for you.

Thanks. This is what I suspected but it's good to hear someone else saying it. Looks like I'll be getting the NEC

Lennywat

• Hello
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:48 am »

Hello everyone, I need advise. Does it make sense to calibrate on both monitors? or is it a waste of time?
tu tu

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 11:51:27 am »

Hello everyone, I need advise. Does it make sense to calibrate on both monitors? or is it a waste of time?
You can and probably should calibrate both but don't expect the same target settings for calibration to produce a match (if a match is even possible).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

smthopr

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 04:08:15 pm »

Thanks for posting. This clarifies the workflow described by mbridge87. What model Eizo was this?
CX271
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up